Toms benches Atom against P4

Old July 17th 10, 06:09 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Jim[_31_]

Default Toms benches Atom against P4

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ttop,2649.html
In case anyone else ever wonder if an Atom faster than a P4.

Old July 18th 10, 01:08 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Robert Myers

On Jul 17, 1:09*am, "Jim" wrote:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ttop,2649.html
In case anyone else ever wonder if an Atom faster than a P4.

The mythology on one of the comp.* forums inhabited by people who
really should have known better was that an 800MHz PIII was all you
would ever need.

Because I was in on some of the ground floor action in digital
animation (a *long* time ago), I could see right away that graphics
would gobble up processing power in essentially unlimited quantities.

What I didn't see, before the onslaught of multi-core processors, was
the relatively painless uptake of parallel processing power for for
relatively routine media (audio and video) processing.

Somewhere along the way, Linux acquired the same kind of bloat as
Windows, so that I finally gave one of my P4 boxes away because it was
just too painful to use, even for Linux. A dual core atom nettop
would probably still perform acceptably--for a while.

Robert.
Old August 10th 10, 09:40 PM posted to comp.sys.intel
Nate Edel

Robert Myers wrote:
Somewhere along the way, Linux acquired the same kind of bloat as
Windows, so that I finally gave one of my P4 boxes away because it was
just too painful to use, even for Linux. A dual core atom nettop
would probably still perform acceptably--for a while.

Depends on what you're doing with Linux. KDE and Gnome acquired bloat (KDE
tremendously so!), but if you're willing to run a less Windows-y desktop,
you can still run Linux on amazingly lightweight hardware.

The other problem is finding an unbloated browser.

--
Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
preferred email |
Old August 11th 10, 02:01 AM posted to comp.sys.intel
Robert Myers

On Aug 10, 4:40*pm, (Nate Edel) wrote:
Robert Myers wrote:
Somewhere along the way, *Linux acquired the same kind of bloat as
Windows, so that I finally gave one of my P4 boxes away because it was
just too painful to use, even for Linux. *A dual core atom nettop
would probably still perform acceptably--for a while.

Depends on what you're doing with Linux. KDE and Gnome acquired bloat (KDE
tremendously so!), but if you're willing to run a less Windows-y desktop,
you can still run Linux on amazingly lightweight hardware.

The other problem is finding an unbloated browser.

I often use epiphany because firefox annoys me so much (it crashes
frequently, among other things).

There have been and there continue to be lots and lots of choices for
making life easier with old hardware running linux. You can play with
lxde, in addition fo xfce, or, if you want to show what a linux stud
you are, you can nibble at unnecessary eye candy in gnome.

If you're looking at buying a processor, though, then it's probably
good to be aware that Linux has been growing like Topsy for years,
and, unless you want to spend your lifetime fiddling with user
interfaces rather than getting work done, you might want to consider a
processor more powerful than is required by your current needs.

If you're a linux stud, you don't need anyone to explain these things
to you. If you're not a linux stud, though, maybe switching every
common application you are used to because you can't run KDE or gnome
isn't such a hot idea.

Robert.

Several ATOM links Bill Davidsen Intel 4 May 11th 10 09:58 PM
Heres links to Toms Hardwares latest reviews on LCDs 17" [email protected] General 0 November 24th 04 02:13 PM
New Toms Hardware VGA roundup..... Granulated Nvidia Videocards 0 October 5th 04 12:34 AM
64 benches Ed Light AMD x86-64 Processors 2 April 4th 04 08:16 PM
Toms hardware GFX round-up Sham B Ati Videocards 6 January 2nd 04 01:34 PM