printerserver problems

Old April 7th 08, 03:44 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
gabriel

Default printerserver problems

The other day I bought a second hand Broadband Router with USB Printer
server without the manual.

Everything works fine (I can give the device an IP address in the range
of my LAN and configure it via a webbrowser)
One problem: I can't getting de printserver working and that was just
the reason why I bought the device.

I first installed de printerdriver locally on a USB port and that worked
fine.
Then I changed the port setting of the printer port to the IP address of
the printerserver (Standard TCP/IP Port)and the type of the port
"generic". That didn't work.

I can't find a setting of the printerserver in te setup via the
webbrowser of the device.

What do I do wrong and what is the solution to the problem?
Can anyone tell me where I can find a manual for this device? (I
searched the site of E-Tech, but found nothing there)

Configutation:
OS: XP SP2
Printer: HP LaserJet 1018
Printerserver: E-Tech model: RTPR02
Old April 7th 08, 05:27 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Warren Block

gabriel wrote:
The other day I bought a second hand Broadband Router with USB Printer
server without the manual.

Everything works fine (I can give the device an IP address in the range
of my LAN and configure it via a webbrowser)
One problem: I can't getting de printserver working and that was just
the reason why I bought the device.

I first installed de printerdriver locally on a USB port and that worked
fine.
Then I changed the port setting of the printer port to the IP address of
the printerserver (Standard TCP/IP Port)and the type of the port
"generic". That didn't work.

Configutation:
OS: XP SP2
Printer: HP LaserJet 1018
Printerserver: E-Tech model: RTPR02

The LJ1018 has to have its firmware downloaded before it will work. You
may be able to get the firmware downloaded by attaching it to the
computer and printing something. Then--without removing power to the
printer--connect the printer to the print server.

The easier alternative is to find a printer with some built-in firmware.

I can't find a setting of the printerserver in te setup via the
webbrowser of the device.

What do I do wrong and what is the solution to the problem?
Can anyone tell me where I can find a manual for this device? (I
searched the site of E-Tech, but found nothing there)

The files section:

http://www.e-tech.nu/Support_Detail....twe rk&LANG=E

Their other print servers use a program called PSadmin, so it's not a
big jump to guess that might work with the embedded print server. Won't
solve the firmware problem, though. The Dutch FAQ for Vista setup seems
to show it is a reasonably standard print server.

The Dutch FAQ section has such gems as (paraphrased):

Q. Can I use the print server in the RTP01 with Mac OSX?
A. There's a manual with it that tells how!

That whole web page reads like an ad for why everyone should avoid
E-Tech. The header at the top of each page has a woman pointing and
laughing at anyone who thought they might find help there.