Canon Pixma ip4500 Ink Tank Question

Old April 6th 08, 04:50 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John Chapman

Default Canon Pixma ip4500 Ink Tank Question

Have had this new printer for about two weeks.
Have been doing lots of A4 prints which have come out very well
and am now nearing the end of the original Canon colour tanks which
came with the printer.

For replacement tanks I have purchased a set from Cartridge World here
in the UK
which have the chips reset so that ink monitoring will continue.
Magenta tank warns me it is running low. I continue to print.
Then it tells me it is empty. I stop printing immediately and put in
full Cartridge World
tank with reset chip. The printer accepts this tank and continues to
print well.
However, although this tank is plainly full of ink, the ink monitor
tells me it is already low on ink.

A bit later the Yellow tank tells me it is low on ink so, before it
announces that it is empty, I put in
a new Cartridge World yellow tank. This tank now is shown by the ink
monitor as being full.

Do tanks need to be changed on this printer before they announce that
they are empty ?
How can I persuade the ink monitor to read the almost full Magenta tank
correctly ?

Many thanks in advance for helpful replies.

John Chapman
Old April 6th 08, 05:13 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
DanG

"John Chapman" wrote in message
[...]

Consult with the seller of the tanks. Reset chips can mean a number of
different things. Often, with remanufactured or compatible tanks, it's
recommended to replace them all so you are not mixing types. It could also
just be a faulty chip, which is not uncommon. The canon uses a combination
of optical sensor and calculated use to determine levels. A lot depends on
whether these are remanufactured (refilled) tanks or compatible. In any
case, there's nothing you can do to change the way the tanks reads out,
except turn off the ink monitoring completely. Again, consult with the
seller of the tanks.

BTW, there's no need to replace a tank till it reads as completely empty, as
long as your prints look OK. The ink level is recorded on the tank chip, so
it sounds as if you have a faulty tank. You can keep using it though, till
it reports as empty.

Old April 6th 08, 05:27 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

John Chapman wrote:
Have had this new printer for about two weeks.
Have been doing lots of A4 prints which have come out very well
and am now nearing the end of the original Canon colour tanks which
came with the printer.

For replacement tanks I have purchased a set from Cartridge World here
in the UK
which have the chips reset so that ink monitoring will continue.

Now you no longer have a real Canon printer as designed by the Canon
engineers. Your quality will drop. But if you are willing to accept a
lower quality to spend less money and you print enough so the head will
not clog and you are not too concerned about fading then that may be a
good choice for you.
Magenta tank warns me it is running low. I continue to print.
Then it tells me it is empty. I stop printing immediately and put in
full Cartridge World
tank with reset chip. The printer accepts this tank and continues to
print well.
However, although this tank is plainly full of ink, the ink monitor
tells me it is already low on ink.

Of course. It is no longer a real Canon printer.

A bit later the Yellow tank tells me it is low on ink so, before it
announces that it is empty, I put in
a new Cartridge World yellow tank. This tank now is shown by the ink
monitor as being full.

Do tanks need to be changed on this printer before they announce that
they are empty ?
How can I persuade the ink monitor to read the almost full Magenta
tank correctly ?

Buy OEM Canon ink.

Old April 6th 08, 06:14 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

DanG wrote:

[...]

There is no such things as compatible.  They are patented.

Old April 6th 08, 07:26 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
John Chapman

measekite wrote:

Now you no longer have a real Canon printer as designed by the Canon
engineers. Your quality will drop. But if you are willing to accept a
lower quality to spend less money and you print enough so the head will
not clog and you are not too concerned about fading then that may be a
good choice for you.

Buy OEM Canon ink.

It is a pity that the troll has only one message.

In the UK I can buy on the high street a brand new Canon printer
including the 5 Canon OEM inks for less than buying the 5 individual
Canon replacement inks.
So the cost of the printer is nothing and, if I wreck it, it will be
cheaper for
me to buy a new printer.
That is why I can afford to experiment with using non-OEM inks.

I did not ask for this model of pricing.
Personally I would prefer to pay more for the printer
and less for replacement ink tanks.
Old April 6th 08, 08:23 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
irwell

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 19:26:19 +0100, John Chapman
wrote:

I did not ask for this model of pricing.
Personally I would prefer to pay more for the printer
and less for replacement ink tanks.

I second that motion, wish it were true.
Old April 6th 08, 09:08 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Yianni

Well said by DanG. I will tell you for sure, there is a matter with resetted
chips. Ask seller.

--

Yianni
(αφαιρέστε τον αριθμό εννιά από το email)

. ..

Old April 7th 08, 12:51 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Stick Stickus[_4_]

Sounds as though the chip may not have reset correctly. I would take it back
the Cartridge World you originally got it from, don't forget you have an
unconditional warranty on that cartridge.
Regards
Stick

Old April 7th 08, 01:21 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

John Chapman wrote:
measekite wrote:

Now you no longer have a real Canon printer as designed by the Canon
engineers. Your quality will drop. But if you are willing to accept
a lower quality to spend less money and you print enough so the head
will not clog and you are not too concerned about fading then that
may be a good choice for you.

Buy OEM Canon ink.

It is a pity that the troll has only one message.

In the UK I can buy on the high street a brand new Canon printer
including the 5 Canon OEM inks for less than buying the 5 individual
Canon replacement inks.
So the cost of the printer is nothing and, if I wreck it, it will be
cheaper for
me to buy a new printer.
That is why I can afford to experiment with using non-OEM inks.

Then what you need to do is buy a printer everytime you need ink.

I did not ask for this model of pricing.
Personally I would prefer to pay more for the printer
and less for replacement ink tanks.

You are only looking at the typical standard format printers who share
this pricing model. Starting with the Canon Pro9000 and all of the
other major brand wide format printer you have a different model. A
high printer price like you are asking for with the same high ink
price. So why pay more for a printer. Ink will still be high.
Old April 7th 08, 01:23 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Stick Stickus wrote:

Sounds as though the chip may not have reset correctly. I would take it back the Cartridge World you originally got it from, don't forget you have an unconditional warranty on that cartridge. Regards

Wonderful.  With all of the expensive gas and the (probably of little value) value of your time you are really spending more for crap ink then you would with Canon ink and then getting all of the benefits of your printer design.

[...]

Canon Pixma iP4500 on Win 98 [email protected] Printers 2 March 25th 08 11:13 PM
Canon Pixma IP4500 ac Printers 16 January 15th 08 05:12 PM
single dots with Pixma iP4500 ? Falk Ronneberger Printers 3 September 21st 07 09:40 PM
Question about the waste ink tank in Canon IP5000 (and other Canon printers) Hg Printers 17 August 2nd 05 07:51 AM
4 tank Canon i865 verses 6 tank i905? Hughy Printers 1 February 12th 04 02:00 PM