Out of Spec -12V on Antec SL300 Power Supply

Old July 12th 03, 05:35 AM
Michael Lauengco

Default Out of Spec -12V on Antec SL300 Power Supply

I'm using an Antec SL300 power supply for my PC. Checking the voltage
of the outputs with a digital multimeter while the system was running
(full load with all peripherals connected), I got the following
readings:

+3.3V +3.34V
+5V +5.05V
-5V -5.07V
+12V +12.39V
-12V -12.88V ***

The voltages are fine except for the -12.88V. Antec specifies that
the acceptable range for this is -11.4V to -12.6V. The reading is
0.28V beyond the allowable maximum. My questions a

1. What exactly is the function of the -12V line?

2. What kind of damage would an out-of-spec -12V line create?

3. Is the excess of 0.28V really something to worry about?

So far my system runs fine without symptoms of any problems caused by
a faulty power supply. I'm just afraid that this deviation from
normal will slowly erode the reliability of the system and someday
take its toll to surprise me with an irrecoverable damage to a hard
drive or other component.

Thanks in advance for any help or info you could share.

--Michael
Old July 12th 03, 06:19 AM
ric

Michael Lauengco wrote:

I'm using an Antec SL300 power supply for my PC. Checking the voltage
of the outputs with a digital multimeter while the system was running
(full load with all peripherals connected), I got the following
readings:

+3.3V +3.34V
+5V +5.05V
-5V -5.07V
+12V +12.39V
-12V -12.88V ***

The voltages are fine except for the -12.88V. Antec specifies that
the acceptable range for this is -11.4V to -12.6V.

The official ATX spec for the -12v is +/- 10% (10.8-13.2 vdc.) I wouldn't
worry too much about it.

http://www.formfactors.org/developer...X12V_1_3dg.pdf

Section 3.2.1. Table 2.
Old July 13th 03, 02:51 PM
Michael Lauengco

Thanks everyone for the good info! So it turns out there's nothing to
worry about. Now I can breath a sigh of relief!

--Michael

Antec power supply DJS0302 General 8 August 26th 04 09:22 PM
Antec Sonata Power Supply Bob Schmidt General 0 June 17th 04 02:53 PM
Antec Power Supply Shogun Overclocking AMD Processors 3 February 20th 04 07:01 AM
How can I make motherboard to restart after power loss automatically? Amiran General 1 September 24th 03 11:35 PM
Antec power supply fans don't work Lance Uppercut Homebuilt PC's 7 July 11th 03 03:21 AM