USB Adapter

Old July 1st 03, 06:07 PM
larrymoencurly

"Patch" wrote in message ...

I've tried a PCI USB 2.0 card, but this Mobo has USB ver 1.0
& the card won't work.

All my mobos have USB 1.1 or no USB at all built into them, but I was
able to use USB 2.0 cards in all of them, except for a Soyo USB card
that wouldn't work with my FIC VA-503+ mobo (both the card and mobo
use VIA chipsets -- go figure). I did have problems getting a USB 2.0
card based on an ALi chip to work, not because of the mobo but because
my computer had only Windows 98 first edition, and the driver software
for ALi USB 2.0 requires Windows 98 second edition or later.

If you get a USB 2.0 card, look for one with a square chip with 160
pins because it's NEC USB chip, the most compatible one. Belkin,
Adaptec, and Maxtor use it. IOGear used to use it but switched at
least some of their cards, like the 2-port GIC220U, to the ALi chip
(64 pins), but some of their boxes are mismarked and show an older
version of the card with the NEC chip and say that Windows 98 is
supported. Another chip to avoid is VIA's, which is longer than it is
wide but has pins on all four sides.
Old July 1st 03, 10:43 PM
spodosaurus

Patch wrote:
"jack" wrote in message

"Patch" wrote in message
t...
:
: "jack" wrote in message
: ...

snip
: From what I heard Epox's implementation of USB never worked correctly
on
: this board, and I have never seen the special cable to connect to the
CN1
: header. Your best bet would be to just buy a PCI USB 2.0 card and
drop it
: in an empty slot, or better one of the better cards that offer both
USB 2
: and 1394 (Firewire). Short of that, you're looking at a new mobo
purchase
: if you want **functioning** USB. Good luck, dude.
:
: J.
:
: I've tried a PCI USB 2.0 card, but this Mobo has USB ver 1.0 & the
card
: won't work. Thanks for the response.

Huh? One has absolutely nothing to do with the other. Are you sure you
know what you are doing? I gave you the information you need, now run
with it.

J.

I contacted the maker of the USB card (Hawking) and they said it wouldn't
work on my Mobo. The Mobo is ver 1 and the card ver 2.0. They said I would
have to install it on a Mobo with USB ver 2.0. It doesn't work, they
software won't even install on this Mobo. I installed it on my main computer
at home and it works fine.
I think I know what I'm doing.

LOL No, you don't! bwahahaha

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person

spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying

Old July 2nd 03, 03:28 PM
Patch

"spodosaurus" wrote in message
Patch wrote:
"jack" wrote in message

"Patch" wrote in message
t...
:
: "jack" wrote in message
: ...

[...]

Well, I got the ****er to work. I guess I do know what I'm doing. By the
way, I have a theory that I'm working on & I'll be you can help. I believe
there is direct connection between the size of a sig & the size of a guy's
dick. It's my contention that it is inversely porportional. The bigger the
sig, the smaller....well, you know what I'm saying. Please post your
measurements so I can add it to the data I'm accumulating for my final
thesis. This will be a big help.

Old July 3rd 03, 04:17 PM
spodosaurus

Patch wrote:
"spodosaurus" wrote in message

Patch wrote:

"jack" wrote in message

"Patch" wrote in message
. net...
:
: "jack" wrote in message
: ...

[...]

You got it to work the same way a moron gets a shoddy TV to work, by
whacking it. You know nothing. Also, if you have a problem with organ
and tissue donation, then by all means, refuse a blood transfusion after
you've been in an auto accident and are going to die without one, you
stinky little ****wad. Finally, this is alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,
not alt.gay.sex-pickup, spot the difference and win valuable prizes.

Old July 3rd 03, 07:29 PM
Patch

Patch wrote:
"spodosaurus" wrote in message

Patch wrote:

"jack" wrote in message

"Patch" wrote in message
. net...
:
: "jack" wrote in message
: ...

[...]

Thanks for the quick reply. You didn't have to email your measurements
though, you could have just posted them. I see that my theory is right on!

Old July 13th 03, 02:27 PM
John

I just read these last 3 posts. I'm laughing so hard my gut hurts and I
almost fell on the floor.

Thanks guys, I truly needed that laugh.

John