USB Adapter

Old June 30th 03, 07:10 PM
Patch

Default USB Adapter

I've got an old motherboard from Epox & I was going to add a USB adapter to
the board, but it has a weird looking pin arrangement. My adapter has a 5
pin plug on the end, but the mobo has a double row of 8 pins. How in the
heck do I get this thing to work? Is there an adapter with an 8 pin plug?

Old June 30th 03, 07:25 PM
Pen

Post your model number for more help. The chances are that the
8 pins on the mobo are for 2 USB ports, 4 pins each. Also post the
pinouts of your adapter.

news

Old June 30th 03, 07:49 PM
Patch

"Pen" wrote in message
et...
Post your model number for more help. The chances are that the
8 pins on the mobo are for 2 USB ports, 4 pins each. Also post the
pinouts of your adapter.

The model is; EP58MVP3C-M 100 Mhz. I have 2 rows of 8 pins, for a total of
16 pins. They are numbered 1 thru 16. Pin 1 has 5 volts on it. I tried
plugging my 5 pin adapter on it, with the red wire (pin 1) to the 5 volt pin
on the mobo, but the computer wouldn't boot up.

Old June 30th 03, 07:58 PM
spodosaurus

Patch wrote:
I've got an old motherboard from Epox & I was going to add a USB adapter to
the board, but it has a weird looking pin arrangement. My adapter has a 5
pin plug on the end, but the mobo has a double row of 8 pins. How in the
heck do I get this thing to work? Is there an adapter with an 8 pin plug?

What you're describing is not a USB adapter, it's a pair of usb ports
that you're trying to plug in. BIG difference. A USB adapter is a PCI
card that you add to your system to provide USB functionality or get
better USB ports (a USB 2.0 card instead of USB 1.1 which may be on the
motherboard).

--

Are you registered as a bone marrow donor? You regenerate what you
donate. You are offered the chance to donate only if you match a person

spam trap: replace shyah_right! with hotmail when replying

Old June 30th 03, 08:08 PM
Patch

"spodosaurus" wrote in message
Patch wrote:
I've got an old motherboard from Epox & I was going to add a USB adapter

the board, but it has a weird looking pin arrangement. My adapter has a

5
pin plug on the end, but the mobo has a double row of 8 pins. How in the
heck do I get this thing to work? Is there an adapter with an 8 pin

plug?

What you're describing is not a USB adapter, it's a pair of usb ports
that you're trying to plug in. BIG difference. A USB adapter is a PCI
card that you add to your system to provide USB functionality or get
better USB ports (a USB 2.0 card instead of USB 1.1 which may be on the
motherboard).

--

Well, on the box it came in it says "USB Port Adapter" I'm not going to buy
a new Mobo just to get a USB 2.0. Getting back to my question, do you have

Old June 30th 03, 08:35 PM
Pen

I don't know where you got the idea that mobo
supported USB, but it doesn't. Buy a PCI plug in
card if you want/need USB. What is this adapter
that you bought? Manual is available here;
ftp://ftp.epox.com/motherboard/suppo...al/mvp3c-m.pdf

"Patch" wrote in message

et...

Old June 30th 03, 08:59 PM
Pen

My bad, yes there is a connector, but it's not explained anywhere,
nor is USB mentioned in the manual.
However, on page 41 is the pinout. The 8 pins on the left are
the operational ones. However, it will be 1.0 at most.

"Pen" wrote in message
et...
I don't know where you got the idea that mobo
supported USB, but it doesn't. Buy a PCI plug in
card if you want/need USB. What is this adapter
that you bought? Manual is available here;
ftp://ftp.epox.com/motherboard/suppo...al/mvp3c-m.pdf

"Patch" wrote in message

et...

Old June 30th 03, 09:12 PM
Patch

"jack" wrote in message
"Patch" wrote in message
:
: "spodosaurus" wrote in message
: ...
: Patch wrote:
[...]
: --
:
: Well, on the box it came in it says "USB Port Adapter" I'm not going to
buy
: a new Mobo just to get a USB 2.0. Getting back to my question, do you
have
: an answer?
:
I retired that exact same board about a year ago. I've still got both the
board and the users manual sitting right here in front of me. That 16-pin
connector (called CN1 in the manual) was Epox's idea of a proprietary
connection to the motherboard. The way this worked was that you had to
order a special cable from your mobo supplier (Epox designed and
manufactured, of course) which was 16-pin on one end and USB on the other.
Then you would just pull out one of the slot blanks and drop the Epox slot
"blank" in, and you would have one (or possibly two, I don't remember) USB
1.0 connections.

From what I heard Epox's implementation of USB never worked correctly on
this board, and I have never seen the special cable to connect to the CN1
header. Your best bet would be to just buy a PCI USB 2.0 card and drop it
in an empty slot, or better one of the better cards that offer both USB 2
and 1394 (Firewire). Short of that, you're looking at a new mobo purchase
if you want **functioning** USB. Good luck, dude.

J.

I've tried a PCI USB 2.0 card, but this Mobo has USB ver 1.0 & the card

won't work. Thanks for the response.

Old June 30th 03, 09:27 PM
spodosaurus

Patch wrote:

I've tried a PCI USB 2.0 card, but this Mobo has USB ver 1.0 & the card

won't work. Thanks for the response.

A USB 2.0 PCI add on card has nothing to do with what version of USB is
on the motherboard.

Old July 1st 03, 04:06 PM
Patch

"do_not_spam_me" wrote in message
om...
"Patch" wrote in message

t...

The model is; EP58MVP3C-M 100 Mhz. I have 2 rows of 8 pins,
for a total of 16 pins. They are numbered 1 thru 16. Pin 1
has 5 volts on it. I tried plugging my 5 pin adapter on it,
with the red wire (pin 1) to the 5 volt pin on the mobo,
but the computer wouldn't boot up.

The second row is all grounds. The first 4 pins are for one of the
USB ports, the second 4 for the other USB port. Common 5-pin USB
adapter cables have 2 grounds at one end (black wires), +5V at the
opposite end (red wire), and for the second set of USB pins on the
motherboard you can let one of the ground wires overhang (provided it
doesn't touch any metal), but for the first set of USB pins on the
motherboard you'll have to cut off the plastic body to make it fit
(bend back the ground wire that goes there and tape it around the
cable, covering its metal part so it can't short).

Pins 1-8 on the motherboard should be numbered:

1. +5V
2. Data-
3. Data+
4. ground
5. +5V
6. Data-
7. Data+
8. ground

Thanks for the info, I now have 2 working USB ports!