Powering up motherboard

Old April 10th 06, 02:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Powering up motherboard

I am in need of some help if it is possible to power up a motherboard without hooking up the case power switch, I mean is it possible to do anything with the jumpers that the power switch would normally connect to to see if the motherboard will power up? I ask this cause as I was one day starting up my computer half way through the start up it shut down on me and it did not seem the normal motherboard failure problem and I am just wondering if maybe it could be the power switch on the case going bad, does any know for certain if connecting the jumpers on the motherboard is safe way to try and start it up?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old April 10th 06, 02:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Absolutely. The power switch is simply a momentary on/off switch for the
standard ATX system. Actually no current is even applied. Locate the two
pins that the power switch fits upon. Remove them and apply the flat tip of
a screwdriver to both pins. If the computer is plugged in and the PS is
turned on (switch on PS is turned to I, not O) then the machine should boot,
as long as your PS is not bad. Can you relate anymore details about this?

--
Jan Alter

or

"Anon" wrote in message
I am in need of some help if it is possible to power up a motherboard
without hooking up the case power switch, I mean is it possible to do
anything with the jumpers that the power switch would normally connect to
to see if the motherboard will power up? I ask this cause as I was one day
starting up my computer half way through the start up it shut down on me
and it did not seem the normal motherboard failure problem and I am just
wondering if maybe it could be the power switch on the case going bad, does
any know for certain if connecting the jumpers on the motherboard is safe
way to try and start it up?? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-= Get GrabIt for free from
http://www.shemes.com/ =-