AGP based motherboard and CPU suggestions please

Old April 8th 06, 08:44 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default AGP based motherboard and CPU suggestions please

I have an ABIT NF7-S board with XP2500+. I need to upgrade but am,
frankly, lost with the choices!

I need to use my AGP based ATi 9800 AIW card as one of my need is to
capture and convert home videos. I want to go the AMD route. For video
work I need a reasonably fast PC. The PC will not be for gaming use.

Also, I do not need on-board graphics or audio.

Will very much appreciate suggestions please.
Old April 8th 06, 11:10 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

In article , SDR wrote:

I have an ABIT NF7-S board with XP2500+. I need to upgrade but am,
frankly, lost with the choices!

I need to use my AGP based ATi 9800 AIW card as one of my need is to
capture and convert home videos. I want to go the AMD route. For video
work I need a reasonably fast PC. The PC will not be for gaming use.

Also, I do not need on-board graphics or audio.

Will very much appreciate suggestions please.

This site is a great source of information, but the database
can never have every motherboard in it. I use this, plus
the chipset makers web sites, to pick out some of this info.

http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/index.html

Asrock is always good for some wacky hardware combos, and that
is another source of interesting chipset info.

In the following, I've placed emphasis on finding an S939 board,
as the S754 is too "dead end" for the job you want to do.

When S939 boards first came out, the VIA K8T800 Pro chipset
was used on some of them. It has an AGP interface. So boards
built on that chipset are one possibility. Asus A8V Deluxe
was an example.

The Nforce3 chipset had an AGP interface. I think that
is mostly on S754 boards, but there are exceptions, like
this Gigabyte board and the DFI Lanparty UT nF3 Ultra-D.

http://www.motherboards.org/mobot/mo.../GA-K8NSC-939/
http://us.dfi.com.tw/Product/xx_prod...YPE=LP&SITE=US

ULI has at least one chipset with AGP on it. M1689 does
AGP, but some boards are S754 and some are S939. These
are S939:

ASRock 939A8X-M
Gigabyte GA-K8U-939
Chaintech S1689
Abit UL8

The ULI M1695+M1567 has both PCI Express and AGP video interfaces.

http://www.uli.com.tw/eng/products/p...tion.php?ssn=4

An example would be ASRock 939Dual-SATA2. You have to be
real careful with ASRock, as some of their AGP slots are
"fake" AGP. The safest thing to do, is look up info on the
chipset itself, and see if the chipset has a "real" AGP
interface or not. (I think the yellow slot is a processor
expansion slot.)

http://www.asrock.com/product/939Dual-SATA2.htm

That is just a sampling, and I didn't bother reviewing the SIS
offerings. I think they have an AGP chipset suitable for
the job too (760GX). Hmmm, I don't see any S939 boards with that
chipset though.

Paul
Old April 8th 06, 03:51 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 07:44:16 GMT, SDR wrote:

I have an ABIT NF7-S board with XP2500+. I need to upgrade but am,
frankly, lost with the choices!

I need to use my AGP based ATi 9800 AIW card as one of my need is to
capture and convert home videos. I want to go the AMD route. For video
work I need a reasonably fast PC. The PC will not be for gaming use.

Also, I do not need on-board graphics or audio.

Will very much appreciate suggestions please.

Hmmm. This is what I just built recently:
www.geocities.com/wilkes_charlie/new_system.htm

It's not too different from what you've already got, and I'm using it
mostly to edit/render videos. I'm just a hobbiest and not someone
with deadlines to meet... but I can get quite a bit done over the
course of a day.

I'd suggest you either go the cheap route -- max out RAM and overclock
your CPU, which is a good one for overclocking -- or else go to
NF4/PCI-E with a new video card. Otherwise I think your upgrade might
be a disappointment.

Charlie
Old April 8th 06, 10:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"SDR" wrote in message

I have an ABIT NF7-S board with XP2500+. I need to upgrade but am,
frankly, lost with the choices!

I need to use my AGP based ATi 9800 AIW card as one of my need is to
capture and convert home videos. I want to go the AMD route. For video
work I need a reasonably fast PC. The PC will not be for gaming use.

Also, I do not need on-board graphics or audio.

Will very much appreciate suggestions please.

Best choice for AGP is Nforce3 motherboard,
try
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...umbna ils=yes

While AMD is better for gaming, INTEL is better for video, but it may be
harder to find AGP support.
eg.
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...ilterKeywords=
Mike.

Old April 9th 06, 05:53 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Charlie Wilkes wrote:
[...]

said the ****wit that did not understand o/c the radeon video card.

your best bet is to ignore this idiot!

HTH, HAND, and GFIA
--
sbb78247

Speak the truth and leave shortly there after

Old April 9th 06, 04:23 PM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 10:38:17 +0545, "sbb78247"
wrote:

Charlie Wilkes wrote:
[...]

I figured it out.

your best bet is to ignore this idiot!

What is your sage advice to this person?

Charlie

Old April 10th 06, 08:26 AM posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

In article , Enos Nivek
wrote:

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 10:10:17 GMT, (Paul) wrote:

http://www.uli.com.tw/eng/products/p...tion.php?ssn=4

An example would be ASRock 939Dual-SATA2. You have to be
real careful with ASRock, as some of their AGP slots are
"fake" AGP.

This specific mb doesn't use a "fake" AGP slot. In fact it's the only
mb that has both AGP and PCI-E were the AGP runs at full speed.

I agree that not every one of their motherboards is like that.
But is ****es me off to see motherboard companies take advantage
of people, so when I see a company hiding the details of what
they've built, I have to say something. If I was buying something
from Asrock, I would research whether the hardware is capable
of driving the video card slots properly, and so I warn other
potential customers to do the same check. I have no problem
with kludges, as long as a company is honest about what the
performance will be like.

Paul