ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe issue?

Old April 7th 06, 01:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe issue?

Hi cyber folk,

Just wondering if anyone has / is experiencing this problem,

I have built this PC, and when I hit the Power button it lights up for
one sec (see fans spin) and then off. - nothing / nada. The green
light on the A8N is on, thats it. I can press the button again - same
thing.

Everything is new, and am assuming all is working. I know assumption
is the mother of all ..
Apart from testing indivdual components, i have ensured everything is
hooked up fine.

I've been to a few sites and none really have similar symptoms.

any ideas?

currently running;

A8N SLI Delexe
Athlon 64X2 Dual Core
N6000TD extreme
Geil 2x 1GB PC3200
WD 250GB SATA 16MB
Seasonic 500w
DVD RW ....

Old April 7th 06, 02:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"LEF" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi cyber folk,

Just wondering if anyone has / is experiencing this problem,

I have built this PC, and when I hit the Power button it lights up for
one sec (see fans spin) and then off. - nothing / nada. The green
light on the A8N is on, thats it. I can press the button again - same
thing.

Is your CPU cooling fan the three-pin type? Is it plugged in? Is it
running? -Dave

Old April 7th 06, 04:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Hey Dave thanks for the reply, Yep it is 3 pin & its plugged in and
spins for the same amount of time. (bout a sec). It is really weird.
Almost like the Tower on/off switch is faulty (new case too slk3000b)

Old April 7th 06, 04:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"LEF" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hey Dave thanks for the reply, Yep it is 3 pin & its plugged in and
spins for the same amount of time. (bout a sec). It is really weird.
Almost like the Tower on/off switch is faulty (new case too slk3000b)

I'm starting to suspect a bad mainboard. If the CPU never receives a power
good signal, then it won't run POST and the computer will shut down. So you
need to check all power connections from Power supply through Mainboard to
CPU. Review the motherboard owner's manual carefully to make sure that ALL
power connections are correct. If all looks good, undo them and start over
(could be a loose connection). If that doesn't help, you might try
reseating the CPU itself. You could also try clearing CMOS settings, but
I'd be surprised if this helps.

I'd normally say you might have a bad power supply. But if you have a
Seasonic supply that's bad, it would be the first one that I've ever even
HEARD of being bad. Still, it's down to power supply, mainboard or CPU, or
a loose connection on one of those three components. -Dave

Old April 7th 06, 05:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Start at the basics:
PSU
CPU and cooler
1 stick of memory
video (if you have OB video use that instead of an add on card)
clear the MOS and boot

same thing happens?

make su
the cooler is properly installed on the CPU
the wiring for the reset/power switch is correctly installed ( if add on
video has a power connector, connect it)
if you can, lay the mainboard out on the bench and test from there

Old April 8th 06, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

THanks guys will try all of the above and let you know. Nice to see a
supportive community.

Just frustrated a bit now, I'm sure you've all been there.

Cheers again.

LEF

Old April 8th 06, 02:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Well just tried the above and - checked all the power connections,
reseated cpu, cleared mos, 1 stick of ram... I'm starting to think its
the main board.

Going to try the PSU in another PC, will let you know.

thanks again

Old April 8th 06, 07:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"LEF" wrote in message
[...]

What got me into trouble once was finding the CPU fan was not plugged into
the CPU (specific) fan connector. I think it was plugged into a chassis or
accessory fan connector.

The system was checking the plug specifically designed for the CPU fan and
not finding a fan RPM being indicated there it was shutting down the board.

Old April 8th 06, 08:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Hey Jadd, thanks for that, but yeh I have plugged the CPU_FAN into the
correct plug on the mobo.

I have a question though, on the mobo there is a 3 Pin connector called
PWR FAN, should that be plugged into something?
THe Chassis fan (120mm) comes with a 4 pin (typical HDD type power
plug) attached. I have plugged that into a free 4 pin power plug
coming from the PSU.

Now the PSU, has one 3 pin power connector which in the manual calls it
an (optional) FAN MONITOR plug. For testing sake the fact it says
OPTIONAL shouldn't stop the PC booting if I don't connect it, but if a
were to connect it should I connect it a spare chassis fan plug on the
mobo or should I plug it into the PWR FAN 3 pin connector/plug I
mentioned earlier?

thanks in advance

Old April 8th 06, 09:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"LEF" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hey Jadd, thanks for that, but yeh I have plugged the CPU_FAN into the
correct plug on the mobo.

I have a question though, on the mobo there is a 3 Pin connector called
PWR FAN, should that be plugged into something?
THe Chassis fan (120mm) comes with a 4 pin (typical HDD type power
plug) attached. I have plugged that into a free 4 pin power plug
coming from the PSU.

Now the PSU, has one 3 pin power connector which in the manual calls it
an (optional) FAN MONITOR plug. For testing sake the fact it says
OPTIONAL shouldn't stop the PC booting if I don't connect it, but if a
were to connect it should I connect it a spare chassis fan plug on the
mobo or should I plug it into the PWR FAN 3 pin connector/plug I
mentioned earlier?

thanks in advance

OK, there has been a push over the last several years to make computers
quieter. This has been done by computer enthusiasts who "mod" their systems
by reducing number of cooling fans, switching to quieter fans, switching to
liquid cooling or passive cooling, etc. Hardware manufacturers try to cash
in on this by offering technology "solutions" to make systems quieter. Some
of those solutions include:
1) Power supply sometimes has circuit to control chassis (and other) fans,
speeding up or slowing them down, as temperatures change
2) Motherboard sometimes has circuit to control chassis (and other) fans,
speeding up or slowing them down, as temperatures change
3) Some motherboards have simple fan monitoring circuits also. They can't
change the speed of a connected fan, but can pass along information on how
fast the connected fan is running.

All of these fan mods are optional. Your power supply and/or motherboard
isn't going to CARE if any fan is connected at all, as long as you have at
least ONE cooling fan connected. The one that needs to be connected is a
3-pin fan connected to CPU_FAN header on the mainboard. If that one fan
isn't connected (and running properly!), the system will not run.

If you want to plug in the fan line from the power supply, it should be
connected to the PWR_FAN header on the mainboard. However, NOT having this
connected will make no difference at all in how your system runs, or doesn't
run. If it IS connected, you might be able to monitor how fast the power
supply fan is running.

But if your computer won't boot, you shouldn't care *how fast* the power
supply fan is running.

I'd be interested to know what happens when you try that PSU in another
system. If the PSU works fine in another system, I'd be very surprised if
your mainboard is not defective. -Dave