New PC build will not post or give video output

Old April 2nd 06, 04:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default New PC build will not post or give video output

I agree, it's sure sounding like a bad MB.

"Chris Hill" wrote in message
On Sun, 02 Apr 2006 13:18:14 GMT, "Martin C"
wrote:

Further update.
I have checked the CMOS jumpers and they are correct.
I have tried the motherboard outside of the case (resting on cardboard)
with
only the CPU and fans powered. I did not even have any memory or video
card
present. I had the lead to the speaker attached.
I still get no POST.

I checked the power supply on one of the Molex connectors and found that I
am getting the following voltages (with no load)
5.02V on the 5V line
12.42V on the 12V line.

Should the 12V line be that high? Is that a problem?

One other point of possible interest I should note:
With the PC turned on all the fans run and relevant leds are lit. When I
hold in the power switch for more than 4 secs, the front power led on the
case goes out (implying that the system is turned off?) but all the fans
(CPU, Case, PSU etc) are still running. The only way I can stop these is
turn off the PSU itself with its own switch at the back. Does this
indicate
a problem with the PSU or something else.

I'm going to have to guess mainboard. Really is no way to be
absolutely sure except by swapping parts.

Old April 9th 06, 05:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

wrote:

Further update.
I have checked the CMOS jumpers and they are correct.
I have tried the motherboard outside of the case (resting on cardboard) with
only the CPU and fans powered. I did not even have any memory or video card
present. I had the lead to the speaker attached.
I still get no POST.

[deleted remainder of post]

Have you tried re-seating the CPU and HS/fan?

Remove the CPU from the socket and check the pins. Do any look a
little bent?

Re-seat the CPU, double checking to see that it is complete seated.
With the Athlon64 processes this can be difficult to confirm.

Phil Nicholls

"As will be all too evident when we examine the creationist position in detail, their arguements are devoid of any real intellectual content."
[sentence following the bit Laurie likes to post from The Monkey Business, by Niles Eldredge.