OT Bill Gates tells senators "we need more foreign programmers to remain competitive"

Old March 30th 06, 10:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default OT Bill Gates tells senators "we need more foreign programmers to remain competitive"

"John Doe" wrote in message
"Schrodinger's cat" martin scotland.org wrote:

SNIP

Microsoft doesn't want to pay for education and training of
American programmers. Instead of giving Americans the jobs,
Microsoft would rather import easy to control low-wage
programmers. Since Americans are under strict intellectual
property law, they do however have to pay to maintain Microsoft's
empire. On the other hand, many other countries have no
intellectual property law or don't enforce it, so they get
Windows for free. The easy to control imported programmer sends
much of his Microsoft money home to where his countrymen don't
even pay for Windows.

That can't be good for our economy. There's something very wrong
about the New World order especially as it relates to
intellectual property.

Unfortunately, a lot of people in Europe (not me) have the
impression that most Americans are ill-educated, pampered and most
of all insular, insofar as they find it difficult to look outside
of their own state or country and see their place in something
much wider (the world).

"I held off mentioning they were French, but it had to be said!"

Your post does much to reinforce that unfair stereotyping.

In other words "I don't have a counter argument, so I use the oldest
lamest argument known to man."

Of course you like the idea of being paid for helping to produce the
products you pirate. The more drain you put on our intellectual
property, the more those corporate executives will scream for your
cheap foreign labor.

I dont pirate software. I buy it. I have a sneaking suspicion that my labour
doesn't come any cheaper than yours. You mustn't fall into the trap of
thinking that everyone outside of the USA has the need or inclination to
pitch up there.

The USA does not have a monopoly on intellectual property or copyright. This
is an issue which a number of more developed countries are grappling with.

You bang on about "Johnny foreigner" pirating software and in virtually the
same paragraph you criticise MS for selling cheaper versions of Windows in
poor regions of the world. MS are actually fighting the piracy in a sensible
way - why pirate the software when you can afford to buy a legitimate copy?

Again, it's just bad for our economy. Letting us do the heavy
intellectual property lifting while you sit around sucking it dry
might be good for your economy in the long-run though.

Bottom line is that Microsoft make massive profits doing business the way
they want to. That's why Bill Gates is massively successful and er, you are
not. He's much cleverer than you are.

But answer one question. Why are you cutting and pasting the headers from
other posters into your replies? Most of us know how to look at a header
anyway. Frankly, things like that and your redneck ecomomic theories do you
no favours.

Regards

Martin

Old March 31st 06, 12:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default OT Bill Gates tells senators

In article , John Doe says...
no spam.invalid (Kalesh) wrote:

i think the world is moving towards a *GLOBAL MARKET* sort of a
state.

If it were a global market, we would play by the same intellectual
property rules.

Thankfully we don't. The way IP is being enforced in the US is doing
nothing but killing off progress.

Microsoft's money comes from Americans. Microsoft pays easy to
control H-1B Visa immigrants. Those immigrants send the money home
to their family.

Why? They don't live in the US.

..

If you all paid for our intellectual property, the software you are
paid for helping to produce, it wouldn't be so bad.

So what about Americans using IP involved in Linux? After all, Linus
Torvalds isn't American. How many American companies are freeloading
off Linux?

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old March 31st 06, 01:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:21:09 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

My post was properly labeled off-topic and posted to an associated group.

But I wanted to ask David Maynard again anyway, does Microsoft
possess monopoly power over the personal computer desktop operating
system market? In other words, is Windows a monopoly?

I'm not david but try this. Since 99.99% of all computers sold in
retail are Windows OS based, and 99.99% of consumers do not "build"
their own computers then I would say, without a doubt, that
microsoft's OS is a monopoly.

One could argue that people can choose a MAC or build there own
systems, but do we make these arguments with other things?
Are we to assume AT&T was not a monopoly because EVERYONE could have
signed up with a phone carrier which was 300% more expensive but they
all choose to stay with AT&T?

What about cars? There are around 12-15 car makers in the world. There
was a time when GM and FORD were basically the only choice. What else
can we build one our own?

I bet if we all spent enough research and time on it we could all
build our own LCD monitors too.

ALSO there is the thing with profits. A business is designed to turn a
profit. Where did people get the idea that a company with stock and
cash reserves of 1/2 a trillion dollars needed to be "protected"?

If Microsoft needs protection, then I should have 100 armed guards
around me 24/7/365

Old March 31st 06, 04:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Schrodinger's cat" martin scotland.org wrote:

"John Doe" jdoe usenet.love.invalid wrote in message
news:Xns9796953D0B7ADfollydom 207.115.17.102...
[...]

And the cow jumps over the moon.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my labour doesn't come any
cheaper than yours.

You have a big ego for such small arguments.

You mustn't fall into the trap of thinking that everyone outside
of the USA has the need or inclination to pitch up there.

The USA does not have a monopoly on intellectual property or
copyright.

We produced the vast majority of intellectual property. Most other
countries watch our entertainment too. I know that for a fact
because I have collected Internet TV stations, so I know what kind
of television other countries watch.

This is an issue which a number of more developed countries are
grappling with.

When they want our government handouts. They are happy to steal our
intellectual property.

You bang on about "Johnny foreigner" pirating software

Which is true.

and in virtually the same paragraph you criticise MS for selling
cheaper versions of Windows in poor regions of the world.

That's true also.

MS are actually fighting the piracy in a sensible way -

And fighting their inclination to go with Linux.

Again, it's just bad for our economy. Letting us do the heavy
intellectual property lifting while you sit around sucking it dry
might be good for your economy in the long-run though.

Bottom line is that Microsoft make massive profits doing business
the way they want to.

The bottom line is that Microsoft Windows and Office is a cash cow
monopoly duo.

That's why Bill Gates is massively successful and er, you are not.
He's much cleverer than you are.

In fact you don't know that, unless you are suggesting that the
richest person is the cleverest. Gaining a stranglehold on desktop
software helped make Bill Gates & Co. filthy rich.

Obviously you aren't the cleverest since you boast about Bill Gates
being charitable. There is nothing charitable about giving away
money when you are left with more than you could spend in 100
lifetimes. It's only meaningful when you fantasize that he will toss
you a crumb.

But answer one question. Why are you cutting and pasting the
headers from other posters into your replies?

Apparently you are a new breed, a libertarian control freak.

Regards

Martin

From: "Schrodinger's cat" martin scotland.org
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 22:55:58 +0100

Old March 31st 06, 05:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Conor wrote:

If it were a global market, we would play by the same
intellectual property rules.

Thankfully we don't. The way IP is being enforced in the US is
doing nothing but killing off progress.

That's about right IMO. I have a difficult time believing that our
country is ruled by elitists, but that's about the only explanation.
Apparently they are out of touch with how the rest of the world
views/treats intellectual-property. The Bush Jr. administration
protects Microsoft like no one else in our country has talent (or
it's just a libertarian might-makes-right policy).

If you all paid for our intellectual property, the software you
are paid for helping to produce, it wouldn't be so bad.

So what about Americans using IP involved in Linux? After all,
Linus Torvalds isn't American. How many American companies are
freeloading off Linux?

I thought it was the other way around. At one point, SCO was suing
IBM and others for incorporating UNIX code into Linux. Anybody know
what happened?

http://sco.iwethey.org/

That's the closest I find after a short search. No recent
information.

Old March 31st 06, 05:29 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default ASCPA clamps down.......

Top posting troll

From: "JAD" kapasitor earthcharter.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: ASCPA clamps down.......
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:49:05 -0800

"David Maynard" nospam private.net wrote in message
news:122oi973ilgpr96 corp.supernews.com...
Troll

Fines for feeding the Trolls are being levied in lue of the huge increase
in troll population. This is especially bad under bridges and in the
gutters. Do not feed the trolls! ;^)

Old March 31st 06, 07:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 05:13:09 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

Bill Gates was in Washington this week, as usual lobbying for an
increase in H-1B visas. The richest man in the world earned his keep
when he looked our president in the eye and (without laughing) said
"Microsoft needs cheap, easy to control foreign programmers to
remain competitive".

Gates is right. Microsoft's biggest competitive threat is freeware.
How much can they afford to pay their programmers when the competition
is working for nothing?

Microsoft's golden era is over. A job with Microsoft is like a deck
chair on the Titanic.

Charlie
Old March 31st 06, 02:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

In article , John Doe says...

I thought it was the other way around. At one point, SCO was suing
IBM and others for incorporating UNIX code into Linux. Anybody know
what happened?

Yup. SCO has yet to prove anything.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old March 31st 06, 05:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

wrote:

My post was properly labeled off-topic and posted to an associated group.

But I wanted to ask David Maynard again anyway, does Microsoft
possess monopoly power over the personal computer desktop operating
system market? In other words, is Windows a monopoly?

almost EVERYTHING is a monopoly, FOOD stores for instance..... 30 different
names all owned buy a huge agri-conglomerate.

I'm not david but try this. Since 99.99% of all computers sold in
retail are Windows OS based, and 99.99% of consumers do not "build"
their own computers then I would say, without a doubt, that
microsoft's OS is a monopoly.

Good example of phony stats, that are used to debate a topic. Which is a
very commonly used tatctic.

One could argue that people can choose a MAC or build there own
systems, but do we make these arguments with other things?
Are we to assume AT&T was not a monopoly because EVERYONE could have
signed up with a phone carrier which was 300% more expensive but they
all choose to stay with AT&T?

What about cars? There are around 12-15 car makers in the world. There
was a time when GM and FORD were basically the only choice.

and it should have stayed that way here in America, instead of turning
Michigan into a welfare state.

I bet if we all spent enough research and time on it we could all
build our own LCD monitors too.

research time?.....it would take FAR more than that.

ALSO there is the thing with profits. A business is designed to turn a
profit. Where did people get the idea that a company with stock and
cash reserves of 1/2 a trillion dollars needed to be "protected"?

so if your dads buisness makes 1 million dollars and somebody decides thats
to much we should let them break it up

If Microsoft needs protection, then I should have 100 armed guards
around me 24/7/365

If it was your company the whistle would sound different. If someone was
stealing from your company at an alarming rate, or was under attack from
hostile people (wish we would have listened sore heads) you would want
protection. ANY legitimate company deserves protection no matter the profit
margine.

Old March 31st 06, 10:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"JAD" kapasitor earthcharter.net wrote:

"BOB" no-email this.time wrote in message
news:83to221d3q38ijdbotk5h5d8l3a9b8ai06 lol.com...
On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:21:09 GMT, John Doe jdoe
usenet.love.invalid wrote:

But I wanted to ask... does Microsoft
possess monopoly power over the personal computer desktop
operating system market? In other words, is Windows a monopoly?

Since 99.99% of all computers sold in
retail are Windows OS based, and 99.99% of consumers do not
"build" their own computers then I would say, without a doubt,
that microsoft's OS is a monopoly.

Good example of phony stats,

Monopoly status does not even require near 100% market share, and it
is based on more than market share.

ALSO there is the thing with profits. A business is designed to
turn a profit. Where did people get the idea that a company with
stock and cash reserves of 1/2 a trillion dollars needed to be
"protected"?

so if your dads buisness makes 1 million dollars and somebody
decides thats to much we should let them break it up

The sensible solution to the Microsoft problem is separating the
operating system from the applications. Microsoft owns the
significant money making personal computer applications. Microsoft
was able to do that because it controls the application playing
field. As Microsoft gets fatter and lazier, don't be surprised if it
sucks up what's left.

If someone was
stealing from your company at an alarming rate, or was under
attack from hostile people (wish we would have listened sore
heads) you would want protection.

Microsoft and other American intellectual property makers are under
attack from the world. Protecting our companies from us while the
rest of the world rapes them makes no sense. The best course of
action is to foster competition here at home so that the entire
country becomes stronger, instead of allowing a single company to
subjugate the rest. We beat our own while the rest of the world
frolics in the software pool.

From: "JAD" kapasitor earthcharter.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 08:11:09 -0800