OT Bill Gates tells senators "we need more foreign programmers to remain competitive"

Old March 30th 06, 09:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default OT Bill Gates tells senators "we need more foreign programmers to remain competitive"

Mxsmanic mxsmanic gmail.com wrote:

John Doe writes:

Microsoft's income comes mostly from Americans.

False.

Says who?

About 80% of Microsoft's income comes from outside the U.S.,
last time I checked.

Provide your citation.

From: Mxsmanic mxsmanic gmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 19:29:39 +0200

Old March 30th 06, 09:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default OT Bill Gates tells senators

In article , Kalesh
says...
i think the world is moving towards a *GLOBAL MARKET* sort of a
state.

Moving? It is already there.

now to ur low wage statement.
me being an indian have different monetary expectations as compared to
u living in the US. we have a different kind of economy and a very
different kind of living here..so u just cant compare what wage we
get and u get.

It is like comparing living in London in the UK and living in the North
East of the country. Just because you earn a salary 100 times higher
doesn't mean you are better off if your home and goods cost over 100
times more.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old March 30th 06, 09:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Ken user domain.invalid wrote:

big snip because apparently the author can't do it for himself

You sound like a disgruntled liberal who thinks the world owes you
a living.

I'm for competition in the marketplace.

You sound like a might-makes-right libertarian living in a fantasy
land, who cannot comprehend the importance of playing by the rules.

I would remind you that Microsoft writes and sells its software
in many languages. Certainly some of the programing for this
software needs to be written by people who are fluent with the
language it is written.

That is an off-the-wall, erroneous, and irrelevant excuse.

Additionally, MS and Bill Gates gives millions of dollars to
causes all over the world.

To its pet women and minority charities, but I already mentioned
that. Perhaps you do not read?

Microsoft and other elitists looking for a quick buck are in a
counterproductive/premature push for globalization. It's
counterproductive because the rest of the world couldn't care less
about our (United States) intellectual property.

How much have YOU given???

Significantly more, percentage wise.

How much have you given?

My advice to you is that if you are not already in France marching
with others who believe it is someone else's responsibility for
YOUR success, that you go there and join in.

Another subject you might want to read about before you discuss. The
protests in France were staged by young Muslim immigrants. My
argument revolves around the H-1B visa immigration issue and
outsourcing.

From: Ken user domain.invalid
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 13:20:16 GMT

Old March 30th 06, 09:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

In article , John Doe says...

John Doe writes:

Microsoft's income comes mostly from Americans.

False.

Says who?

About 80% of Microsoft's income comes from outside the U.S.,
last time I checked.

Provide your citation.

Population of the USA - 250 million. Population of Europe 500 million.
Microsoft products cost more in Europe than the US.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old March 30th 06, 09:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"Schrodinger's cat" martin scotland.org wrote:

SNIP

Microsoft doesn't want to pay for education and training of
American programmers. Instead of giving Americans the jobs,
Microsoft would rather import easy to control low-wage
programmers. Since Americans are under strict intellectual
property law, they do however have to pay to maintain Microsoft's
empire. On the other hand, many other countries have no
intellectual property law or don't enforce it, so they get
Windows for free. The easy to control imported programmer sends
much of his Microsoft money home to where his countrymen don't
even pay for Windows.

That can't be good for our economy. There's something very wrong
about the New World order especially as it relates to
intellectual property.

Unfortunately, a lot of people in Europe (not me) have the
impression that most Americans are ill-educated, pampered and most
of all insular, insofar as they find it difficult to look outside
of their own state or country and see their place in something
much wider (the world).

"I held off mentioning they were French, but it had to be said!"

Your post does much to reinforce that unfair stereotyping.

In other words "I don't have a counter argument, so I use the oldest
lamest argument known to man."

Of course you like the idea of being paid for helping to produce the
products you pirate. The more drain you put on our intellectual
property, the more those corporate executives will scream for your
cheap foreign labor.

Again, it's just bad for our economy. Letting us do the heavy
intellectual property lifting while you sit around sucking it dry
might be good for your economy in the long-run though.

Martin

From: "Schrodinger's cat" martin scotland.org
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 19:33:55 +0100

Old March 30th 06, 10:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Conor conor.turton gmail.com wrote:

In article Xns97968FF057C08follydom 207.115.17.102, John Doe
says...

John Doe writes:

Microsoft's income comes mostly from Americans.

False.

Says who?

About 80% of Microsoft's income comes from outside the U.S.,
last time I checked.

Provide your citation.

Population of the USA - 250 million. Population of Europe 500
million.

Population of China, 3 billion. Number of paid-for copies of
Windows, maybe 2.

I'm sure the sales data for Europe versus the United States exists,
it shouldn't be that difficult to find.

At least three major countries do not even have intellectual
property law, China, Russia, and Brazil. And for those who do, there
is no way for us to enforce their intellectual property law. Their
law enforcement agencies can easily/undetected turn the other cheek.

Taking over the world would solve the problem, but that effort is
failing miserably. However, the part of globalization that sucks our
resources is going full steam ahead. It's like putting the cart
before the horse.

Microsoft products cost more in Europe than the US.

I don't think so. Pirated software is easier to get in Europe than
here in the United States.

Not long ago, Microsoft began selling Windows bundled with Office in
Malaysia for $40.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.

From: Conor conor.turton gmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 21:27:00 +0100

Old March 30th 06, 10:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Troll

John Doe wrote:

Bill Gates was in Washington this week, as usual lobbying for an
increase in H-1B visas. The richest man in the world earned his keep
when he looked our president in the eye and (without laughing) said
"Microsoft needs cheap, easy to control foreign programmers to
remain competitive". Both Bill Gates and our president probably get
a good laugh out of that one.

Old March 30th 06, 10:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

no spam.invalid (Kalesh) wrote:

i think the world is moving towards a *GLOBAL MARKET* sort of a
state.

If it were a global market, we would play by the same intellectual
property rules.

Microsoft's money comes from Americans. Microsoft pays easy to
control H-1B Visa immigrants. Those immigrants send the money home
to their family. Their family pirates our intellectual property.
Their income isn't spent here, and at home it isn't spent on our
intellectual property. It's the worst economics for the United
States.

If you all paid for our intellectual property, the software you are
paid for helping to produce, it wouldn't be so bad.

u cant blame microsoft for hiring foreign programmers if ur
countery dosent have enough of them.

If the only reason weren't too keep startup American companies under
foot, that might be true. Outsourcing is done by large companies for
short-term profit.

and MICROSOFT is not an NGO its a goddamn private business
empire...wont u want cheap and effective labour for ur
business....

Windows is a monopoly, Microsoft is not at liberty to act like just
another private business.

Subject: OT Bill Gates tells senators
From: no spam.invalid (Kalesh)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 16:33:07 GMT

Old March 30th 06, 10:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

My post was properly labeled off-topic and posted to an associated group.

But I wanted to ask David Maynard again anyway, does Microsoft
possess monopoly power over the personal computer desktop operating
system market? In other words, is Windows a monopoly?

Old March 30th 06, 10:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default ASCPA clamps down.......

"David Maynard" wrote in message
Troll

Fines for feeding the Trolls are being levied in lue of the huge increase
in troll population. This is especially bad under bridges and in the
gutters. Do not feed the trolls! ;^)