Why won't my floppy drive work?

Old July 12th 03, 02:25 AM
rAD

"I of the Storm" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I just built a new computer yesterday, for the first time. It's an amalgam
of new and old parts. The new mobo is an ABit Bh7 (jumperless). I can't
figure out how to hook up my 3.5" floppy drive and make it work. It won't
read disks at all. The light stays on, which suggests the strap is
backwards, but it's keyed! Do you guys know what's up?

Probably is backwards. Knock out the tab on the floppy drive so you can
reverse the cable.

Old July 12th 03, 09:52 PM
jaster

"I of the Storm" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

I just built a new computer yesterday, for the first time. It's an amalgam
of new and old parts. The new mobo is an ABit Bh7 (jumperless). I can't
figure out how to hook up my 3.5" floppy drive and make it work. It won't
read disks at all. The light stays on, which suggests the strap is
backwards, but it's keyed! Do you guys know what's up?

Thanks,
Chris

Besides verifying the #1 pin (red stripe) is correctly and securely plugged
into the motherboard and the floppy:
bios shows 3.5 144 floppy as A or B drive,
try running the floppy on both connectors of the floppy cable,
try another floppy cable,
make sure the floppy drive turns freely.

After replacing a broken floppy drive, the new drive worked flawlessly
outside the case every time but wouldn't read a disk inside the case after
the first time. After checking everything several times, I finally realized
the reason I had a hard time fitting the drive into the case was because
drive motor was trapped against the case and wouldn't turn. I moved the fd
back to a recessed position and now it works in the case.