CD drive magnet problem

Old April 6th 11, 05:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

Default CD drive magnet problem

I've been experimenting trying to understand what is wrong with my DVD
writer tray eject mechanism. After installing a software that would
automate trying to eject 5 times before it quits trying, I was able to
'calculate' that it sometimes took 10-20 consecutive tries until/but it
would finally open. Then after further determining that it didn't
matter whether windows or some other OS or no OS other than BIOS was in
control, the problem was the same, I made another discovery. If there
were a CD in the tray, it would open every time under the same
conditions that previously required 20 tries to open.

Then I started searching on terms related to that behavior and found
that there were a number of webforums where this same problem was
described and remedied, particularly with my type/brand/model of drive.

The basic problem is that there is a plastic puck containing a magnet
over the disk spindle which is used to hold/secure the CD on the
spindle. When ejecting, it is necessary that the tray ejection
mechanisms overcome any attraction between the magnet and the spindle,
which attraction is apparently stronger when there is no disk under the
magnet. The two types of fixes consisted of either disassembling the
over part of the magnet/puck container and adding a 'diffusion' layer of
space under the magnet or by disassembling the under part and tweaking
the mechanics of the tray ejection pully/belt/wheels to improve the tray
ejection force.

Personally I'm currently solving the problem by keeping a disk in the
tray instead of fixing it.

I never knew before there was a strong magnet to hold the disk
down/steady, and apparently there are other important magnets in CD
drives as well. Magnets are used in the motor to spin the drive, in the
lens tracking process, and in the relay switches.

--
Mike Easter
Old April 6th 11, 07:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GMAN[_13_]

In article , Mike Easter wrote:
[...]

As cheap as CD or DVD recorders are today, I wouldnt even waste the hours of
time you are spending on this. get a new one.
Old April 6th 11, 08:54 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike Easter

GMAN wrote:
Mike Easter
I've been experimenting trying to understand what is wrong with my DVD
writer tray eject mechanism.

As cheap as CD or DVD recorders are today, I wouldnt even waste the hours of
time you are spending on this. get a new one.

In the beginning, I didn't realize it was an engineering/design flaw
problem.

--
Mike Easter

magnet [email protected] General 13 September 11th 06 03:32 AM
ferrite magnet? John Green Homebuilt PC's 2 May 5th 05 03:55 PM
Car mounting audio kit has a magnet Problem when used with a HDD personal music player? Faz General Hardware 0 May 16th 04 02:36 PM
Need to screen speaker magnet? Chris 159 Storage (alternative) 0 April 3rd 04 12:26 PM
Hard Drive erased by large magnet Nicole General Hardware 2 February 13th 04 01:23 AM