ATI Radeon 9800 a worthy card?

Old October 17th 03, 05:30 PM
Rev Marc

Default ATI Radeon 9800 a worthy card?

Bought at Best Buy, after all the rebates, reward zone points, preferred
customer discount, etc...my cost was $184 + tax

How-ever, the game occasionally stalls when playing vice city 3. How-ever,
there may be other apps runningconcurrently, perhaps 2-3 browsers, outlook
express and an excel spreadsheet.

Furthermore, Norton AV is running in the background.

Is the occasional "stutterting" normal? Am I pushing it too far, or is it
the card?

All 3D benchmark tests came back normal, and I am running a P4 2.4 800 mhz
cpu, with a 800 mhz MSI mb and 512 mb 400 kingston ddr ram, on a LCD screen.

Any input please?

Old October 17th 03, 05:38 PM
Ben Pope

Rev Marc wrote:
Bought at Best Buy, after all the rebates, reward zone points, preferred
customer discount, etc...my cost was $184 + tax

How-ever, the game occasionally stalls when playing vice city 3. How-ever,
there may be other apps runningconcurrently, perhaps 2-3 browsers, outlook
express and an excel spreadsheet.

That's the loading between levels :-)

Seriously though I don't notice any stuttering or stalling on mine.

Furthermore, Norton AV is running in the background.

Is the occasional "stutterting" normal? Am I pushing it too far, or is it
the card?

Shouldn't be the card.

All 3D benchmark tests came back normal, and I am running a P4 2.4 800 mhz
cpu, with a 800 mhz MSI mb and 512 mb 400 kingston ddr ram, on a LCD
screen.

Is it random or specific locations? Could it be hard disk activity or some
other I/O?

Ben

Old October 17th 03, 05:48 PM
JAD

I think that there is a slight misconception about stalls,speed,and OS's. There is little that the speed of modern boards lets say
3 years and newer that will cause stalling while playing games. Things running in the background are more important to what OS your
running and the file system. How that OS will distribute resources when called upon. If your running a 9x version of windows then I
like to set 'typical role of this computer' to network server. This may effect how a game runs as it directs a little more resources
to the file system. If a game uses many open files to run , it could help. If a game call for huge resource it could slow it down.
Hit or miss.

Close Norton (personally I won't have that stuff on my machine(system works and the like) it always been a PITA for me. It uses
allot of resources. experiment with closing the background stuff. If your using the 3.8's I would say revert back to 3.7, I am
having resources problems with a 9700 and 9x OS's. I don't think that the OS is giving back resources to the video system, over time
I have to reboot(not while playing,but rather if the system has been running for a few hours then try and play) to get COD demo to
run smooth.

Try a fresh boot then immediately use the game, any better?

Old October 17th 03, 05:50 PM
Rev Marc

Well, my cdrom player reads only at 40x.

All else seems copeseptic.

---------------------

Old October 17th 03, 06:27 PM
Gamer

It could be the Norton! I tend to turn off my autoprotect during gaming
sessions--I'm not SURE this helps but assuming it might free up your cpu and
memory a bit it could be worth a try.

~G

Old October 17th 03, 06:44 PM
Rev Marc

Where can I find the 3.7's?
The installation cd came with 3.4's and the ATI web update page has the
3.8's.

TIA!

k.net...

Old October 17th 03, 07:41 PM
Ben Pope

Rev Marc wrote:
Well, my cdrom player reads only at 40x.

It's on my hard drive and level loading is almost seamless (takes about a
second) :-)

Ben

Old October 18th 03, 12:12 AM
Ed Forsythe

Hi Marc,
I don't believe it's the card. Try disabling NAV. Not just Auto-Protect
but *everything*. If that doesn't work shutdown all background apps.
Please keep us informed.
--
Happy Flying,
Ed