Thoughts on upgrading P4P800 Delux system

Old February 6th 04, 04:06 PM
John Smith

Default Thoughts on upgrading P4P800 Delux system

Hi,

I have a PC which is my main PC running Office apps/Games, etc. It has the
following;

Antec Sonata Case
2.4Ghz 400 FSB P4
512MB 2100 SDRAM in 2 x 256MB Chips
Nividia Geforce MX460 VGA Card
Seagate 120GB Drive
Windows XP Professional
Sony CD-RW
Sony DVD

I have just purchased the following as I wish to build a Windows 2003 Server

Antec Sonata Case
3.0Ghz 800 FSB P4
1GB 320 SDRAM in 2 x 512MB Chips
Sapphire Ultimate 9600 XT Ati VGA Card
Samsung 160GB Spinpoint Drive
Windows 2003 Server
MSI DVD+/-R/RW
6 in 1 Card Reader

OK, my ideal plan is to have my current system with the latest goodies -
i.e, the faster CPU, the faster Memory, the faster VGA Card and also the DVD
Writer. Initially, I was thinking of just adding the above to my current
system and then using the 'old' components from that to build my server box.

However, that might be over-complicating it and I though why not just build
the new box and take the drive, running Windows XP Pro, out of my current
system and stick it into the new system. Of course, that raises the issue of
whether XP Professional would continue to work or not as it might not like
suddenly finding several new hardware components?

Anyway, any views one way or the other,

Thanks,

John.

Old February 6th 04, 06:03 PM
BarryNL

John Smith wrote:
[...]

Changing the mobo is about the only thing which will really screw up an
OS installation. It depends on how compatible the mobos are.
Unfortunately, thats the one item you haven't given any details on.

Old February 6th 04, 11:35 PM
DaveW

With a given harddrive, containing Win XP, if you use it with a different
motherboard you HAVE to reformat it and do a fresh install of XP or you will
suffer ongoing nasty Registry errors.

--
DaveW

Old February 7th 04, 02:21 AM
NT Canuck

"John Smith" wrote in message ...

However, that might be over-complicating it and I though why not just build
the new box and take the drive, running Windows XP Pro, out of my current
system and stick it into the new system. Of course, that raises the issue of
whether XP Professional would continue to work or not as it might not like
suddenly finding several new hardware components?

If there is software you need to keep...and you will remain w/winxp pro...
then you can do a "repair install" which will find the new hardware.

Go throught the install sequence off the CD (boot from CD)
and continue all the way to where the program asks which
partition (or reformat) is shown...then select repair current
install...and run over original OS. You will keep old files.

If you install server2003...it will not repair or update WinXP,
that has to be a new install or a dual-boot to by installing the
Server2003 to another partition or HDD in that system. You
will automatically get a dual boot menu if WinXP exists.

Server2003 is a quicker OS than WinXP if configured correctly,
but when/if WinXP Pro Service Pack 2 appears...similar speeds.

2.4 equipment/video is fine for Server2003 unless you are an ISP.

--
NT Canuck
http://ntcanuck.com

Old February 7th 04, 09:18 AM
Ric H

DaveW wrote:
[...]

not necessarily. xp's quite good at coping with a change of HAL, although
you should always back up first: and if you're doing this you might as well
do a clean install anyway.

if you do it, boot in safe mode, remove all drivers, swap drives and reboot.

ric