Diskette drive on new build

Old May 17th 10, 02:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Puddin' Man

Default Diskette drive on new build

My new Asus P7H55D-M EVO mobo knows naught of diskette controllers. I'm
about to decide that I cannot cover the bases without a floppy drive.

What do folks in similar circumstance do to put a floppy drive on
their systems? A diskette controller on an add-on pci card?
A USB diskette drive?

Thx,

Old May 17th 10, 03:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Pen

On 5/16/2010 9:36 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
My new Asus P7H55D-M EVO mobo knows naught of diskette controllers. I'm
about to decide that I cannot cover the bases without a floppy drive.

What do folks in similar circumstance do to put a floppy drive on
their systems? A diskette controller on an add-on pci card?
A USB diskette drive?

Thx,

I have a USB floppy that I move around to various machines
as needed. I'm very happy with mine, it's a Teac.
Old May 17th 10, 03:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor[_3_]

On 17/05/2010 02:36, Puddin' Man wrote:
My new Asus P7H55D-M EVO mobo knows naught of diskette controllers. I'm
about to decide that I cannot cover the bases without a floppy drive.

Rubbish. There's not a computer built in the last 15 years that doesn't
have USB.
--
Conor I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.
Old May 17th 10, 04:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Puddin' Man puddingDOTman gmail.com wrote:

My new Asus P7H55D-M EVO mobo knows naught of diskette
controllers. I'm about to decide that I cannot cover the bases
without a floppy drive.

Diskette drives are obsolete.

From: Puddin' Man puddingDOTman gmail.com
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Diskette drive on new build
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 20:36:02 -0500

Old May 17th 10, 11:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

On 5/16/2010 9:36 PM, Puddin' Man wrote:
My new Asus P7H55D-M EVO mobo knows naught of diskette controllers. I'm
about to decide that I cannot cover the bases without a floppy drive.

What do folks in similar circumstance do to put a floppy drive on
their systems? A diskette controller on an add-on pci card?
A USB diskette drive?

Thx,

People who choose to maintain floppy disk usage go with any of the
internal: fits in a 5" bay), or an add-on controller card. Whatever
floats your boat.

Modern systems use USB as the replacement for the floppy disk for
diagnostic and setup tasks. You can flash a BIOS, load drivers, create
an install 'disk', most anything you could (and couldn't) do with a
floppy you can do with a USB stick. USB is enumerated by the BIOS and is
operational during the boot.

So if you, like me, have lots of old stuff on floppy disks that you
might want to access one day but have no interest in taking time to
transfer everything to new media, a floppy reader is all you would need.
Old May 18th 10, 01:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
spodosaurus

On 17/05/2010 9:36 AM, Puddin' Man wrote:
My new Asus P7H55D-M EVO mobo knows naught of diskette controllers. I'm
about to decide that I cannot cover the bases without a floppy drive.

What do folks in similar circumstance do to put a floppy drive on
their systems? A diskette controller on an add-on pci card?
A USB diskette drive?

Thx,

usb for me. One drive to boot them all, one drive to flash them, one
drive for diagnostics, and with the wrong BIOS crash them...

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old May 22nd 10, 11:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On May 16, 9:36 pm, Puddin' Man wrote:
My new Asus P7H55D-M EVO mobo knows naught of diskette controllers. I'm
about to decide that I cannot cover the bases without a floppy drive.

What do folks in similar circumstance do to put a floppy drive on
their systems? A diskette controller on an add-on pci card?
A USB diskette drive?

Those are all later than a DVD/CD with a boot ISO. Not quite as
simple as - format b: /s - but at least any motherboards that don't
support assigning an optical to its primary boot sequence probably
have long since blown their capacitors. A few left, MBs requiring ATA
optical or hard drives as the only option to boot. Athlon XPs and
such pushing a decade usage. Lots floppies in landfills between here
and there.