Need PS2 mouse port for motherboard that only has USB mouse support

Old December 8th 07, 06:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
scs0

Default Need PS2 mouse port for motherboard that only has USB mouse support

I share my mouse, keyboard, and monitor with 3 PCs using a KVM
switch. I have to replace a PC and it just didn't occur to me to
check for PS2 keyboard and mouse plugs. This motherboard actually has
a keyboard PS2 plug but no mouse PS2 plug! Ridiculous.

Anyway, what am I going to do now? Is there a PCI board I can buy
that will give me this support (YEA! Let's block even more airflow for
no reason) I suppose I could get one of those USB to PS2 adapters but
those damn things don't work right. And I already have one on the end
of this mouse to get it to work with my KVM. Windows has enough
problems handling complex features of a mouse (like the mouse wheel)
so adding another adapter will simply cause an already broken system
to become even more unreliable.
Old December 8th 07, 08:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

scs0 wrote:
I share my mouse, keyboard, and monitor with 3 PCs using a KVM
switch. I have to replace a PC and it just didn't occur to me to
check for PS2 keyboard and mouse plugs. This motherboard actually has
a keyboard PS2 plug but no mouse PS2 plug! Ridiculous.

Anyway, what am I going to do now? Is there a PCI board I can buy
that will give me this support (YEA! Let's block even more airflow for
no reason) I suppose I could get one of those USB to PS2 adapters but
those damn things don't work right. And I already have one on the end
of this mouse to get it to work with my KVM. Windows has enough
problems handling complex features of a mouse (like the mouse wheel)
so adding another adapter will simply cause an already broken system
to become even more unreliable.

There is an adapter here, but the reviews mention it *stinks* .
It resets itself every 10 minutes. You plug this into a USB
port on the motherboard, and get two PS/2 connectors from it.
Since you are only interested in a mousing solution, maybe this
would only suck half as bad :-(

SYBA SY-USB-PS2 USB to PS/2 (Keyboard & Mouse) Adapter - Retail

The Rosewill one is probably the exact same choice of chip internally.

I suppose, since you don't need the mouse to work in the BIOS, that
perhaps a PCI card adapter might be enough.

I suspect this card, is just using the same PS2 to USB chip.

PCI USB 2.0 (NEC Chipset) + PS2 (Chesen Chipset) Port Card

The Chesen part is here. It uses a 65C02 and 8KB firmware, so it is
a pretty "intelligent" part for $5.

http://www.chesen.com.tw/download/d-pc.htm

Paul
Old December 8th 07, 11:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
philo

"scs0" wrote in message
I share my mouse, keyboard, and monitor with 3 PCs using a KVM
switch. I have to replace a PC and it just didn't occur to me to
check for PS2 keyboard and mouse plugs. This motherboard actually has
a keyboard PS2 plug but no mouse PS2 plug! Ridiculous.

Anyway, what am I going to do now? Is there a PCI board I can buy
that will give me this support (YEA! Let's block even more airflow for
no reason) I suppose I could get one of those USB to PS2 adapters but
those damn things don't work right. And I already have one on the end
of this mouse to get it to work with my KVM. Windows has enough
problems handling complex features of a mouse (like the mouse wheel)
so adding another adapter will simply cause an already broken system
to become even more unreliable.

I have never seen a PCI , ps/2 card.

The last time I ran into a situation like that I just used a second mouse
and let the kvm handle the monitor and keyboard.

OTOH: there are KVM switches that do have USB capability

Old December 8th 07, 03:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Fishface

philo wrote:

The last time I ran into a situation like that I just used a second mouse
and let the kvm handle the monitor and keyboard.

"Yes, second mouse," I say, as I sit currently behind three keyboards
and next to two mice and two computers. On one of the machines the
PS/2 keyboard didn't make it out of hibernation, so I just plugged-in the
USB keyboard. On the computer desk across the room, I have a KVM
switch. It has a USB mouse with an adapter for PS/2, and sometimes I
lose the mouse. To get it back, I have to completely remove power from
the KVM switch, which is a pain in the ass.

My next plan is to just get another desk, and move mail and news to one of
the other machines...

Old December 9th 07, 03:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Adams[_2_]

scs0 wrote:
I share my mouse, keyboard, and monitor with 3 PCs using a KVM
switch. I have to replace a PC and it just didn't occur to me to
check for PS2 keyboard and mouse plugs. This motherboard actually has
a keyboard PS2 plug but no mouse PS2 plug! Ridiculous.

Anyway, what am I going to do now? Is there a PCI board I can buy
that will give me this support (YEA! Let's block even more airflow for
no reason) I suppose I could get one of those USB to PS2 adapters but
those damn things don't work right. And I already have one on the end
of this mouse to get it to work with my KVM. Windows has enough
problems handling complex features of a mouse (like the mouse wheel)
so adding another adapter will simply cause an already broken system
to become even more unreliable.

Asus P5K mb? I made the same mistake. My KVM was only PS2 so tried a PS2
splitter that is supposed to give mouse and keyboard over one PS2 port.
That's what someone in the Asus group told me to get. Didn't work and
found out after the fact that those splitters only work with some laptop
computers and maybe a few desktop mb's. Next went and bought a new KVM
with both PS2 and USB so i could still use the PS2 keyboard and use
mouse over USB. Turns out that KVM actually translated PS2 to USB so it
was really a PS2 to USB adapter. That seemed ok at first until I was
playing Quake4 one day and found out using mutilple key command to run
made the onscreen character move extremely slow. My final solution was
works was to dump the PS2 keyboard and use a USB keyboard on the new
KVM. Only downside to this is that I can't use the keyboard to power on
the PC like I had it setup to do with the PS2 keyboard. I suggest you
save yourself some aggro and just get a new USB KVM and use USB mouse
and keyboard. Asus are morons for putting out a mb with just keyboard
PS2. No PS2 would have been better because then I wouldn't have been
fooled by PS2 in their listed specs for the mb.
Old December 10th 07, 01:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Dec 8, 6:28 am, scs0 wrote:
I share my mouse, keyboard, and monitor with 3 PCs using a KVM
switch. I have to replace a PC and it just didn't occur to me to
check for PS2 keyboard and mouse plugs. This motherboard actually has
a keyboard PS2 plug but no mouse PS2 plug! Ridiculous.

Anyway, what am I going to do now? Is there a PCI board I can buy
that will give me this support (YEA! Let's block even more airflow for
no reason) I suppose I could get one of those USB to PS2 adapters but
those damn things don't work right. And I already have one on the end
of this mouse to get it to work with my KVM. Windows has enough
problems handling complex features of a mouse (like the mouse wheel)
so adding another adapter will simply cause an already broken system
to become even more unreliable.

There is a trick to know about these little adaptors that don`t
work!!!

The secret is that ps2 keyb and mice do not convert to USB

BUT

if you take a USB keyboard or USB mouse
you can convert that to ps2

And now you have a ps2 keyb and mouse, that can convert to usb ;-)

So..

Take a USB mouse, plug it into a little usb-ps2 adaptor. Plug that
into your KVM.

Now hopefully.. and I am not sure if I ever tried this.. But
hopefully, out all the ps2 mouse ports, shall come signals of a USB
supportive ps2 mouse.

So if you then go to the ps2 mouse port on the kvm where you are
plugging your stupid computer in with your kvm cable. You can convert
that to usb with a little adaptor, at the computer end, and plug it
into your USB port.

But,
KVM mouse comp port----KVM Ext cable---ps2-usb--comp

You don`t want the ps2-usb adaptor to fall out.. So maybe
KVM mouse comp port-----ps2 cable---ps2-usb -------usb cable---------
comp

make sure the ps2 cable and usb cable there are very small.
not like 5M and 1.8M respectively!!!! (those being max lengths!)..

You can make a short USB cable (you`d have to be comfortable molesting
a USB cable)
http://www.fixup.net/tips/usb/index.htm