Questions about SATA Hard Drive w NCQ

Old December 2nd 04, 02:17 AM

Default Questions about SATA Hard Drive w NCQ

I'm considering purchasing a Seagate 160GB Barracuda 7200.7 7200RPM SATA II with NCQ Hard Drive
from newegg.com. This is model ST3160827AS.

BTW my processor is an Intel Pentium 4 at 2000 MHz
My machine does not support hyperthreading.

1st question:
Does a hard drive which supports NCQ as compared to one which does not support NCQ
serve any advantage when used with a machine which does not support hyperthreading?

Other questions:
My motherboard does not have an interface for a Serial ATA hard drive.
AFAIK in order to use a SATA drive, I have two options:

Option A: Purchase a PCI controller card that I can connect the SATA drive to.
PCI is limited to 133 per sec right? Does this mean that this configuration
is no better using a IDE PATA 133 drive plugged directly into the motherboard?

Option B: Convert SATA port on the hard drive to PATA and use standard 40 pin IDE cable to
connect drive directly to motherboard. If I do this, is the transfer rate still limited
to 133 mb/sec even though the drive supports up to 150 mb/sec?

Lastly, which option is better or do they both basically suck?

Thanks.

Old December 2nd 04, 03:13 AM
Eric Gisin

Your only options for desktop NCQ support is an Intel 9XX chipset board. There
is also the SiI 3124 controller, which you probably can't buy (after a year).

You don't need multi-processing for NCQ, but simple desktop apps don't benefit
in any case.

Old December 2nd 04, 03:27 AM
Chuck U. Farley

1st question:
Does a hard drive which supports NCQ as compared to one which does not

support NCQ
serve any advantage when used with a machine which does not support

hyperthreading?

Not sure about the hyperthreading part but go to storagereview.com and check
out their Performance Database. In the High-End Drivemark 2000, the one w/o
NCQ performs more I/O's per second than the one with it. Not sure if that's
really significant in real world usage.

Other questions:
My motherboard does not have an interface for a Serial ATA hard drive.
AFAIK in order to use a SATA drive, I have two options:

I'm not sure about now but 6-8 months ago almost all of the SATA drives
basically used a bridge from an ATA controller so there was no speed
advantage at all with SATA vs. ATA. And most of the SATA drives were more
expensive as well. Things may have changed since then but I doubt you are
going to notice a performance increase unless your current drive is pretty
slow.

Option A: Purchase a PCI controller card that I can connect the SATA drive

to.
PCI is limited to 133 per sec right? Does this mean that this

configuration
is no better using a IDE PATA 133 drive plugged directly into the

motherboard?

Option B: Convert SATA port on the hard drive to PATA and use standard 40

pin IDE cable to
connect drive directly to motherboard. If I do this, is the transfer rate

still limited
to 133 mb/sec even though the drive supports up to 150 mb/sec?

Lastly, which option is better or do they both basically suck?

I'd just get a Western Digital 250 gig 2500JB for around $80 after rebate.
It's an ATA drive that's still in the top 20 speedwise and is faster than
most SATA drives, including the Seagate you're considering.

Old December 2nd 04, 03:35 AM
J. Clarke

I'm considering purchasing a Seagate 160GB Barracuda 7200.7 7200RPM SATA
II with NCQ Hard Drive
from newegg.com. This is model ST3160827AS.

BTW my processor is an Intel Pentium 4 at 2000 MHz
My machine does not support hyperthreading.

1st question:
Does a hard drive which supports NCQ as compared to one which does not
support NCQ serve any advantage when used with a machine which does not
support hyperthreading?

The question is not whether the machine supports hyperthreading but whether
it supports NCQ, and this is a feature of the host adapter--since you say
that your machine doesn't have SATA built in you'll have to add a host
adapter to get any use out of it.

Other questions:
My motherboard does not have an interface for a Serial ATA hard drive.
AFAIK in order to use a SATA drive, I have two options:

Option A: Purchase a PCI controller card that I can connect the SATA drive
to.
PCI is limited to 133 per sec right? Does this mean that this
configuration is no better using a IDE PATA 133 drive plugged directly
into the motherboard?

You get the advantages of SATA--longer cables, hot swap, and so on (assuming
you get the right host adapter). But no drive on the market can fill a 133
MB/sec pipe, so the interface speed is pretty much irrelevant.

Option B: Convert SATA port on the hard drive to PATA and use standard 40
pin IDE cable to
connect drive directly to motherboard. If I do this, is the transfer rate
still limited to 133 mb/sec even though the drive supports up to 150
mb/sec?

Actually, it's restricted to approximately 85 MB/sec by the physical
properties of the disk platters and mechanism.

Lastly, which option is better or do they both basically suck?

The separate host adapter is going to be the most satisfactory solution IMO.
The Promise SATAII150TX4 will support NCQ and can run at 66 MHz if your
machine supports 66 MHz PCI, giving a PCI transfer rate of 266 MB/sec. It
will also work in a regular PCI slot but it runs at ordinary PCI speeds in
that case. It does not appear to support hot-swapping however--for that
you'd have to go to the FastTrack TX4200 I believe.

Thanks.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old December 2nd 04, 03:43 AM
J. Clarke

Chuck U. Farley wrote:

1st question:
Does a hard drive which supports NCQ as compared to one which does not

support NCQ
serve any advantage when used with a machine which does not support

hyperthreading?

Not sure about the hyperthreading part but go to storagereview.com and
check out their Performance Database. In the High-End Drivemark 2000, the
one w/o NCQ performs more I/O's per second than the one with it. Not sure
if that's really significant in real world usage.

Other questions:
My motherboard does not have an interface for a Serial ATA hard drive.
AFAIK in order to use a SATA drive, I have two options:

I'm not sure about now but 6-8 months ago almost all of the SATA drives
basically used a bridge from an ATA controller so there was no speed
advantage at all with SATA vs. ATA.

_Almost_ all. Seagate never used a bridge chip. And he's looking at a
Seagate drive. Not that it matters--the transfer rate is limited by the
physical properties of the disks and heads, not by the interface.

Old December 2nd 04, 11:29 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Bob Willard" wrote in message news:dECrd.190044$R05.147503@attbi_s53dmbfan2@opto nline.net wrote:
[...]

There is no relationship between HT and NCQ.

No? Care to explain?
Must be a reason why he specifically asked about this, right?

Totally independent.

Either way of connecting a SATA HD will work OK. And neither PCI
nor PATA will bottleneck any existing SATA HD, since they all have
STRs of 80 MB/s.

Ever noticed how you can connect more than a single drive to a MoBo?
Old December 2nd 04, 11:35 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Chuck U. Farley" wrote in message
1st question:
Does a hard drive which supports NCQ as compared to one which does not support NCQ
serve any advantage when used with a machine which does not support hyperthreading?

Not sure about the hyperthreading part but go to storagereview.com and check
out their Performance Database. In the High-End Drivemark 2000, the one w/o
NCQ performs more I/O's per second than the one with it.

What drive was that?
'I/O's per second' is basically latency related: rpm, seek time etc.
No point in comparison unless of the same or similar type.

Not sure if that's really significant in real world usage.

Other questions:
My motherboard does not have an interface for a Serial ATA hard drive.
AFAIK in order to use a SATA drive, I have two options:

I'm not sure about now but 6-8 months ago almost all of the SATA drives
basically used a bridge from an ATA controller so there was no speed
advantage at all with SATA vs. ATA.

Speed difference (STR) is purely defined by rpm and data density.
Has nothing to do with parallel or serial.

And most of the SATA drives were more expensive as well.
Things may have changed since then but I doubt you are going to
notice a performance increase unless your current drive is pretty slow.

Option A: Purchase a PCI controller card that I can connect the SATA drive to.
PCI is limited to 133 per sec right? Does this mean that this configuration is
no better using a IDE PATA 133 drive plugged directly into the motherboard?

Probably even worse if the 'directly into the motherboard' chipset is
not limited by PCI at all. But then only for applications that need more
bandwidth than PCI provides such as RAID and pure sequential access.

Option B: Convert SATA port on the hard drive to PATA and use standard
40 pin IDE cable to connect drive directly to motherboard.

If I do this, is the transfer rate still limited to 133 mb/sec

Yup. Not that that is of any significance.

even though the drive supports up to 150 mb/sec?

Of course. Not that any drive 'supports up to 150 MB/s'. Nor '133 MB/s'.

Old December 3rd 04, 03:00 AM
Chuck U. Farley

Not sure about the hyperthreading part but go to storagereview.com and
check
out their Performance Database. In the High-End Drivemark 2000, the one

w/o
NCQ performs more I/O's per second than the one with it.

What drive was that?
'I/O's per second' is basically latency related: rpm, seek time etc.
No point in comparison unless of the same or similar type.

Guess you didn't go to the site. It compares about 80 different drives of
similar as well as dissimilar types. The High End Drive Mark is:

A capture of VeriTest's Content Creation Winstone 2001 suite. Applications
include Adobe Photoshop v5.5, Adobe Premiere v5.1, Macromedia Director v8.0,
Macromedia Dreamweaver v3.0, Netscape Navigator v4.73, and Sonic Foundry
Sound Forge v4.5. Unlike typical productivity applications, high-end audio-
and video- editing programs are run in a more serial and less multitasked
manner. The High-End DriveMark includes significantly more sequential
transfers and write (as opposed to read) operations.

There's more he

http://www.storagereview.com/comparison.html

Old December 3rd 04, 05:31 AM
Tod

Currently both ATA-100/133 and SATA-150 transfer at the same speed.
In real world terms, 55-65MBs.
Currently ATA drives are better price per GBs of storage.
So if you are planning on keeping your current motherboard for awhile, go
for the ATA.

The SATA will have the advantage as SATA will be replacing ATA as the main
storage controller
built into motherboards (ATA will fade away)
In the future SATA will be increase interface speeds from the current 150 to
300,
then to 600
But you will need to buy the new hard drive and interface (or motherboard)
to take advantage of the speed increase
And SATA drives should be much cheaper (per GB of storage) by then.