Which Intel CPUs should I get?

Old November 24th 08, 11:59 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Ant

Default Which Intel CPUs should I get?

Hello all.

I am planning to upgrade my computer again next month. I am at a loss on
which Intel Core 2 Duo CPU to get since there are so many models:

E7300 (2.66 ghz 1066 fsb) = $135
E7400 (2.8 ghz 1066 fsb) = $155
E8200 (2.66 ghz 1333 fsb) = $175
E8400 (3.0ghz 1333 fsb) = $190
E8500 (3.16ghz 1333 fsb) - $205
Q6600 (2.4 ghz 1066 fsb) = $200
Q8200 (2.33 ghz 1333 fsb) = $210

I am planning to have 2 GB of RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4850(most likely)/4870
(all details cranked up at 1280x1024 resolution), use Windows XP Pro.
SP3 (screw Vista and its DirectX 10+), etc.

Thank you in advance.
--
"If you're an ant, and you're walking along across the top of a cup of
pudding, you probably have no idea that the only thing between you and
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Old November 24th 08, 05:29 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Anssi Saari

Ant writes:

Hello all.

I am planning to upgrade my computer again next month. I am at a loss
on which Intel Core 2 Duo CPU to get since there are so many models:

Doesn't much matter, most games today aren't particularly CPU
intensive since they have to run on consoles too... So unless you plan
to play some simulations that actually have CPU-intensive AI, you'd be
fine with whatever you have now, was it AMD X2 something. Video
encoding is also a task that never seems to go fast enough...

I'd just put the beefiest video card you can find in your current PC
and enjoy.
Old November 24th 08, 07:33 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Morvak

On Nov 24, 5:59*am, Ant wrote:
[...]

* * /\___/\
* */ /\ /\ \ * * * * Phil/Ant @http://antfarm.ma.cx(Personal Web Site)
* | |o * o| | * * * *Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL):http://aqfl.net
* * *\ _ / * * * * Nuke ANT from e-mail address:
* * * ( ) * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * or

for that resolution i'd go with the E8400 (3ghz). I have the HD 4850
and a 16x10 res monitor and with E8400 can play everything pretty much
max (except Crysis which I don't own).
Old November 24th 08, 08:39 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Les Steel

morvak said the following on 24/11/2008 18:33:
On Nov 24, 5:59 am, Ant wrote:
Hello all.

I am planning to upgrade my computer again next month. I am at a loss on
which Intel Core 2 Duo CPU to get since there are so many models:

E7300 (2.66 ghz 1066 fsb) = $135
E7400 (2.8 ghz 1066 fsb) = $155
E8200 (2.66 ghz 1333 fsb) = $175
E8400 (3.0ghz 1333 fsb) = $190
E8500 (3.16ghz 1333 fsb) - $205
Q6600 (2.4 ghz 1066 fsb) = $200
Q8200 (2.33 ghz 1333 fsb) = $210

I am planning to have 2 GB of RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4850(most likely)/4870
(all details cranked up at 1280x1024 resolution), use Windows XP Pro.
SP3 (screw Vista and its DirectX 10+), etc.

Thank you in advance.
--
"If you're an ant, and you're walking along across the top of a cup of
pudding, you probably have no idea that the only thing between you and
disaster is the strength of that pudding skin." --Jack Handy from
Saturday Night Live
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @http://antfarm.ma.cx(Personal Web Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL):http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address:
( ) or

for that resolution i'd go with the E8400 (3ghz). I have the HD 4850
and a 16x10 res monitor and with E8400 can play everything pretty much
max (except Crysis which I don't own).

Or if your not scared of overclocking get a Q6600 g0 stepping (I
believe) for the extra $10 and crank it up! (Carefully if your not sure!!)

--
Les

Chuck Norris doesn't go hunting.... CHUCK NORRIS GOES KILLING
Old November 24th 08, 10:10 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Ant

Are you saying my three years old Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 939 CPU would do
fine if I upgrade to an ATI Radeon 4850+ video card? I thought there was
a bottleneck with my CPU?

On 11/24/2008 8:29 AM PT, Anssi Saari typed:

I am planning to upgrade my computer again next month. I am at a loss
on which Intel Core 2 Duo CPU to get since there are so many models:

Doesn't much matter, most games today aren't particularly CPU
intensive since they have to run on consoles too... So unless you plan
to play some simulations that actually have CPU-intensive AI, you'd be
fine with whatever you have now, was it AMD X2 something. Video
encoding is also a task that never seems to go fast enough...

I'd just put the beefiest video card you can find in your current PC
and enjoy.

--
"An ant on the move does more than a dozing ox." --Mexican Proverb
/\___/\

Old November 24th 08, 10:10 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Ant

On 11/24/2008 11:39 AM PT, Les Steel typed:

I am planning to upgrade my computer again next month. I am at a loss on
which Intel Core 2 Duo CPU to get since there are so many models:

E7300 (2.66 ghz 1066 fsb) = $135
E7400 (2.8 ghz 1066 fsb) = $155
E8200 (2.66 ghz 1333 fsb) = $175
E8400 (3.0ghz 1333 fsb) = $190
E8500 (3.16ghz 1333 fsb) - $205
Q6600 (2.4 ghz 1066 fsb) = $200
Q8200 (2.33 ghz 1333 fsb) = $210

I am planning to have 2 GB of RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4850(most likely)/4870
(all details cranked up at 1280x1024 resolution), use Windows XP Pro.
SP3 (screw Vista and its DirectX 10+), etc.

Thank you in advance.
--
"If you're an ant, and you're walking along across the top of a cup of
pudding, you probably have no idea that the only thing between you and
disaster is the strength of that pudding skin." --Jack Handy from
Saturday Night Live
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phil/Ant @http://antfarm.ma.cx(Personal Web Site)
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links (AQFL):http://aqfl.net
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address:
( ) or

for that resolution i'd go with the E8400 (3ghz). I have the HD 4850
and a 16x10 res monitor and with E8400 can play everything pretty much
max (except Crysis which I don't own).

Or if your not scared of overclocking get a Q6600 g0 stepping (I
believe) for the extra $10 and crank it up! (Carefully if your not sure!!)

I am not planning to OC anything.
--
"It is certain that there may be extraordinary mental activity with an
extremely small absolute mass of nervous matter: thus the wonderfully

Old November 24th 08, 10:10 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Ant

I forgot to mention that I do not OC.

On 11/24/2008 2:59 AM PT, Ant typed:

Old November 24th 08, 11:32 PM posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Anssi Saari

Ant writes:

Are you saying my three years old Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 939 CPU would do
fine if I upgrade to an ATI Radeon 4850+ video card?

It's hard to put it any clearer than that. But you can easily see for
yourself, upgrade the video first, take notes. Then upgrade CPU and
see what you got.

I thought there was a bottleneck with my CPU?

Yes?

Old November 25th 08, 02:43 AM posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action
Ant

On 11/24/2008 5:22 PM PT, jt typed:

I am planning to upgrade my computer again next month. I am at a loss
on which Intel Core 2 Duo CPU to get since there are so many models:

E7300 (2.66 ghz 1066 fsb) = $135
E7400 (2.8 ghz 1066 fsb) = $155
E8200 (2.66 ghz 1333 fsb) = $175
E8400 (3.0ghz 1333 fsb) = $190
E8500 (3.16ghz 1333 fsb) - $205
Q6600 (2.4 ghz 1066 fsb) = $200
Q8200 (2.33 ghz 1333 fsb) = $210

I am planning to have 2 GB of RAM, ATI Radeon HD 4850(most
likely)/4870 (all details cranked up at 1280x1024 resolution), use
Windows XP Pro. SP3 (screw Vista and its DirectX 10+), etc.

Thank you in advance.

What motherboard?

Probably a MSI P43 NEO3-F:
http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p...eo3-F&class=mb ...
--
"PLEASE tell your aardvark that I'm NOT an anthill!" --unknown
/\___/\

Intel CPUs Steve Dell Computers 5 June 15th 07 11:38 PM
Intel cpus? ***** charles Intel 2 October 19th 04 11:06 PM
Difference between Intel CPUs Bad Bubba Homebuilt PC's 15 October 13th 04 05:02 PM
400FSB Intel CPUs Malcolm Homebuilt PC's 1 July 24th 04 07:00 PM
Intel Prescott CPUs Steven Goldstein Intel 1 February 5th 04 04:53 AM