A7V333-X new BIOS 1004

Old June 25th 03, 05:10 PM
Paul

Default A7V333-X new BIOS 1004

In article , Harry wrote:

Hi all

Has anyone flashed/tested this BIOS yet?

More to the point is it going to stuff my MB ? Not that I dont trust
ASUS, but history has show that occasionally they do get it wrong.....

cheers

Harry

Normally, you would look at:

http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/info/bios/index.htm

but the A7V333-X isn't listed yet. As you can see on that page,
some of the A7V series have had issues with updating the flash,
but the -X I think, is a newer board.

If you go to the Asus download page and click the BIOS button, you'll
find a "BIOS History" button, and there are no dire warnings in the
history. Clicking the beta button reveals the latest beta BIOS is
1004.003 (May9/2003). As per usual, what has changed in the latest
beta is not listed in detail. Here is the history so far, copied
from the BIOS History link -

********
A7V333-X BIOS 1004
Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at:
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusu...pusupport.aspx
Because A7V333-X does not support 400FSB CPUs, if inserting a
400MHZ FSB CPU on A7V333-X, BIOS will automatically set up FSB
as 333MHz.

A7V333-X BIOS 1003
Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at:
http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusu...pusupport.aspx
Fix that system sometimes hangs when ATI VGA card is installed.
Fix that system hangs when resets system right after system is
turned on. Fix that system hangs when system is turned on with
all the onboard devices disabled. Support Asynchronous mode
(DRAM 266MHz/FSB 333MHz).

A7V333-X BIOS 1002
Revise coding to fully support DDR400.
Revise BIOS shows error message [APIC Error] while installing
Solaris 8.0
Hide memory hole item.
Support D Version Speech IC.
Support new Winbond flash ROM.
Support new Athlon XP 2600+(FSB333) CPU.
Modify BIOS that Slave cant be detected if ASUS DVD-16XH is
configured as Master.
Revise BIOS that Ricoh MP7163 initial fail with CD in it

A7V333-X BIOS 1001
First release
********

My personal preference is to use a boot floppy and a MSDOS
based flash program like Aflash or whatever came on the CD
with the motherboard. The other options like Ezflash or
a Windows based update are inherently riskier. When flashing,
your system should be configured in its most stable operating
mode (no bleeding edge overclock that might cause a crash
while flashing). Make sure to archive the current flash image
onto the floppy as your first step, and if while flashing
the new image, the flash program complains about checksums
or bad flashes and the like, reburn the old image to the BIOS
chip before rebooting. (After reboot, don't forget to "Setup
Defaults" or whatever in the BIOS.)

And the question I gotta ask, is something broken on your board ?
Cause if it isn't, why take a chance by flashing. If on the
other hand, the board is flaky, then it is worth the risk.

If you check here, I can see that later versions of BIOS are
required to run newer processors on the -X. So, if upgrading
the processor on your board, you could flash up to the newest
BIOS and then change processors. Make sure your board revision
is correct before buying a new processor:

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusu...pusupport.aspx

HTH,
Paul
Old June 25th 03, 10:19 PM
Gerald Dehn

Harry wrote:

Hi all

Has anyone flashed/tested this BIOS yet?

Yes, I have. I did it before I set up the OS again after an HDD crash.
All was working smooth (as it had done before as well).

I flashed it with a boot disk containing aflash.exe .

Best regards,
Gerald

--
Die Know-How-Site: www.dehn-online.de
Die Wahrheit liegt in der Tat zwischen zwei Extremen, aber nicht in der
Old June 26th 03, 09:18 AM
Harry

Hi Pual

Thanks for the comprehensive reply; very helpful.

I only thought about flashing the board as I have noticed that my
Volcano HSF is running almost full tilt to keep my processor cool.

I have tried repositioning fans and reseating the HSF with ArticSilver
goo.

I thought the new BIOS may reduce the CPU temp a bit, as I have heard
of that happenning before (a BIOS reducing temps...that is).

FYI- I am running a Duron 1.3 and the CPU diode reports 64C, CPU
Socket 38C and the MB at 24C
Under load the CPU diode gets up to 67C and the Socket tops 40C

Maybe I am worrying about nothing?

Obviously any further help/advice would be most appreciated.

cheers

Harry

Old June 26th 03, 09:18 AM
Harry

Hi Gerald

Thanks for the confidence boost....

Harry

Old June 26th 03, 12:08 PM
Paul

In article , Harry wrote:

Hi Pual

Thanks for the comprehensive reply; very helpful.

I only thought about flashing the board as I have noticed that my
Volcano HSF is running almost full tilt to keep my processor cool.

I have tried repositioning fans and reseating the HSF with ArticSilver
goo.

I thought the new BIOS may reduce the CPU temp a bit, as I have heard
of that happenning before (a BIOS reducing temps...that is).

FYI- I am running a Duron 1.3 and the CPU diode reports 64C, CPU
Socket 38C and the MB at 24C
Under load the CPU diode gets up to 67C and the Socket tops 40C

Maybe I am worrying about nothing?

Obviously any further help/advice would be most appreciated.

cheers

Harry

This page lists the various AMD processors and their max power
dissipation. The Duron 1.3 is 55W at a Vcore of 1.75V. So,
check that the board is not using more Vcore than is absolutely
necessary. The maximum temperature listed is 90C on the CPU die.

http://www.qdi.nl/support/CPUQDISocketA.htm

The best heatsink solution, is to use a HSF with a copper base.
A copper base spreads the heat to make maximum usage of the fins
on the heatsink. Your Volcano probably already has that.

It is funny that the idle to full load temp swing is only 3C.
Maybe the BIOS is reading it on the high side. But your fan speed
probably doesn't lie - if the fan is running fast, then it must
be hot.

I think this is like worrying about the weather :-) Nothing you
can do but just enjoy it.

Paul

In article , Harry wrote:

[...]

PATA -> Serial ATA convertors - do they always work ? ZigZag Master Overclocking AMD Processors 15 August 8th 04 01:32 PM
A7N8X DX Rev 2.0 Bios 1003 vs 1005 Question Archer Overclocking AMD Processors 9 July 19th 03 08:55 AM
MSI KT3 ULTRA bios upgrade... Jerry McBride Overclocking AMD Processors 1 July 12th 03 04:32 AM
BIOS dead Frank General 1 July 4th 03 01:22 AM
bios hung while flashing mdp General 1 June 23rd 03 11:18 AM