Verify errors burning with liteon 52x burner and nero 5.5 & nero 6

Old August 7th 03, 03:53 PM
None Required

Default Verify errors burning with liteon 52x burner and nero 5.5 & nero 6

TDK stopped making disks a while back. They outsource them. I bought a
couple of packs before I knew this. One set was Ritek, forget the other.
They have worked for me but some had LOTS of errors and I stopped relying on
them.

Basically, try another brand.

Old August 7th 03, 06:46 PM
Peter van der Goes

"George R." wrote in message

hmmmm...that's certainly interesting....

I guess the brand is 'CMC magnetics' then, that's what Nero tells me....

Ok...anyone a recommendation for good CD-Rs ? Memorex ? Maxell ?

greetings

Try to find some Fuji, making *sure* the label says "Made in Japan". Those
will be made by TY. Excellent CDR's.

Old August 8th 03, 08:54 AM
Edvard Ringen

"George R." wrote in message
Hi,

before i start here my config:

WinXP Sp1, 384 MB Ram, Soyo Dragon+ board, AMD 1900+. I run Prime95 and
memtest86 without any problems. My system is stable and kept well and
up-to-date.
I have one HD on IDE2 (Promise port), the CDRom on (Via) IDE0 and the

Burner
(Lite-On 52246S, latest firmware 6s0f) on (Via) IDE1.
Every drive is on it's own IDE port and jumpered as master. All UDMA is

on.
I use 80 pin UDMA cables for all my drives.

I even double checked and swapped my CDRom with the Burner today to see

what
happens.

I can not burn ONE single error-free CD with this burner, using good TDK
brand 48x CD-RWs.
I even got down to burning at 4x speed to avoid errors, but still a no-go.
Not even at 4x !

I first used Nero 5.5.10.42....now i got Nero 6 - still the same results.

If i burn a typical, say ~500MB CD with lots of files i always get two or
three files where Nero says "Verify error", the burned files don't match

the
ones on HD.
When i burn a large ~500MB zip archive etc. then also most of the time i

get
CRC errors.

Thanks for any help !!!

Georg.

Had almost the same problem here. Nero 6 always burned one or two files
badly. The burn process completed succesfully (according to Nero 6) but the
verification process picked up on the bad files. The files were really
burned bad (checked with other verification apps). This behaviour was
consistent even though I tried 4 different media and just about all burn
speeds available. The twist in my case was that Nero 5.5 burned the same
files to the same disks with NO problem! That is, Nero 5.5 worked great,
Nero 6 failed every time on the same data and media...
Hav not yet found a real solution, but found that turning off DMA on the
cd-writer enables me to burn with Nero 6. I'm not sure about the effective
loss in speed when going from DMA to PIO mode, but it sure compensates going
from "no-burn" to ok burning.
Any ideas to why Nero 6 doesn't like DMA while NEro 5.5 does is greatly
appreciated!

Ed

Old August 8th 03, 02:27 PM
Greg B

Did it ever occur to you that a 52x CD-RW that sells for
(according to price-grabber) just around $USD40 might
not be quite up to the task?

After having reliability (i.e., dead laser) problems
even with Plextors, I tried some TDKs. They're not
cheap, but they seem to work and work and work.

Greg
Old August 8th 03, 04:40 PM
George R.

Nero 6 failed every time on the same data and media...

on the SAME data, ie. the same file was always corrupted ???

Hav not yet found a real solution, but found that turning off DMA on the
cd-writer enables me to burn with Nero 6.

Well..ok that's always worth a try - but still, it's weird. I mean, if 16x
works fine (more testing needed here) i can live with that.

Btw. i dont have a very high opinion about Nero 6...like some otehr guy
said...all the additional stuff is not really needed. (or: there are better
program around than the one coming with Nero, eg. cooledit etc...).....i
think the 'smart-start' thing just looks awful...and the user interface of
nero itself looks worse (imho) than before...

But i guess they did only some insignificant changes in the interface to
sell it as a 'new version'

I am just waiting for the next version coming out, like "The Nero 7 OS" or
similiar (1 MB of actual CD burning, and 250 additional MB with stuff
totally unrelated...)

greetings

Old August 9th 03, 12:27 AM
Greg B

"George R." wrote in message ...

Btw. you contradict yourself there....you say a 52x drive at $40 might not
be up to the task - and then you say you had reliability problems even with
Plextors ?

Nope. My Plextors did a great job...until they died
(re-lye-uh-BILL-i-tee).

My TDK burners do a great job and keep running.
Greg
Old August 9th 03, 02:16 AM
Squire & Missy

Nero's website has updated files to match certain CR writers, when I
installed my LiteOn, I had problems. I read the Nero book, went to
their website, downloaded the file, and voila!

Super fast, inexpensive and haven't burned a coaster yet!

Squire

Old August 9th 03, 09:31 PM
Brian O

"Peter van der Goes" wrote

Try to find some Fuji, making *sure* the label says "Made in Japan". Those
will be made by TY. Excellent CDR's.

Along with Fuji, I have had excellent results with Verbatim DataLifePlus
blanks.

P.S. I hope this gets posted. my ISP's news server is very problematic. It
also may get posted several times. I apologize if that happens, it isn't
intended to happen that way.

Old August 11th 03, 10:03 AM
Camper

"Brian O" wrote in message
"Peter van der Goes" wrote

Try to find some Fuji, making *sure* the label says "Made in Japan".

Those
will be made by TY. Excellent CDR's.

Along with Fuji, I have had excellent results with Verbatim DataLifePlus
blanks.

P.S. I hope this gets posted. my ISP's news server is very problematic.

It
also may get posted several times. I apologize if that happens, it isn't
intended to happen that way.

So was my news server. I was lucky if it collected 50% of the posts. All is
well since I changed to news.CIS.DFN.DE which is a reliable free news
server.