How big is the file size produced by the Nikon 5000 scanner?

Old October 24th 05, 11:41 PM
Father Kodak

Default How big is the file size produced by the Nikon 5000 scanner?

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 14:13:19 -0400, Roger
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:16:05 -0400, "Dennis"
wrote:

Kodak,

You have a daunting task ahead of you. I have a Nikon 5000 and have scanned
nearly 1000 negatives at 4000 dpi. As fast as the 500 is, it seems like I
have been at it for an eternity. And after a while the whirring noise of
the scanner will test your sanity.

Now here's, the bad news. Unless you are just going to scan these images
and then forget them, you will surely have to do some post processing. If
you use Photoshop and preserve the edits on layers, those 125 meg files will
quickly become 350 megs or considerably more. If you archive the original
scan to protect if from accidental loss or damage, that means you have the
original 125 meg file to store and the 350 meg edited version. Now
depending on what you are doing with the final product, you can "flatten"
the layers in Photoshop, reduce the color bit depth, and probably reduce the
image size. That will get your post processed file size down to something
manageable.

Now you know why I have nearly 4 terabytes on my network. :-))

Yeah. What kid of storage? Or do you have a whole entire fiber-optic
SAN in your house? (only half-joking).

Kodak

And two huge stacks of DVDs for archiving.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Good luck.

"Father Kodak" wrote in message
. ..
On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 16:36:45 GMT, "CSM1"
wrote:

"Father Kodak" wrote in message
m...
I can't find this info anywhere on the Nikon web site.

If I scan an image full-on highest res, 16-bit color depth and save to
a lossless format (TIFF?) how big will that file size be? If I scan a
B&W neg, will the file size be 1/3 of the color file size?

--thatcher--

Thank you.

Filesize for uncompressed TIFF is the about same as the Image size(of the
film) times the Resolution times number of colors times 2 for 16 bits.

For 35 mm film 24X36mm, (0.945" x 1.4")

Short size = .945 * 4000=3800 pixels
long size = 1.4 * 4000= 5600 pixels.

3800 * 5600 = 21,280,000 * 3 *2= 127.68 MB for color at 16 bits.
B & W would be 42.56 MB for 16 bits.

A Calculator is found he
http://www.scantips.com/calc.html

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Wowzers. I guess I'm going to have to upgrade my system. More disk
storage, lots of it. I have about 3500-4000 black and white negs and
maybe 5000-6000 color negs and slides.

Kodak

Old October 26th 05, 08:59 AM
Roger

wrote:

[...]

Not quite, but almost.:-))

Tonight (I have to specify as they are changing so often):-))

I have four computers, two here in my den, one in my shop, and one in
my wife's office. They are connected together via a CAT-5e, gigabit
network through a switch and router/firewall.

The two in here have 400 Gig SATA RAIDs as their boot drives with
various additional internal EIDE/ATA drives. One has a pair of 300 Gig
external USB drives while the other has a pair of 250s.
That puts this one at 1.27 Terabytes while the one next to it has 1.25
terabytes.

I'm not where I can check the one in the shop right now, but as I
recall it has a 250 and 300 external. a 300, 250 and 200 internal, for
just over one Terabyte.

So, between the three that is over 3.5 terabytes. I don't remember
what the size of the drives are on my wife's machine, but she has
three internal and one external.

Each machine has a dual layer DVD/CD R/W drive that can be used via
the network. This one (3.4 Gig, 64 Bit Athlon) also has a Nikon
LS5000-ED and a HP 5470c flat bed scanner.

I have some programming left, but I want to get one in here hooked
into the ham station for digital work as well as Computer control. I
want to do the same with the computer and station out in the shop with
automated remote switching to the antennas and a 440 MHz control link
from the car to the station..

http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/tower.htm is the story on the
antenna installation. Unfortunately the ham shack photo is a tad out
of date.

I've been spending most of my time putting the tail feathers on a two
passenger, advanced composite airplane I'm building. I don't know if
I'll ever get it done, but it's a 335 MPH, aerobatic hotrod. (Glasair
III) and it's about time to start picking up the parts for the
instrument panel which I think is going to be a complete glass panel
with redundancy built in.
Builder's diary: http://www.rogerhalstead.com/G3_files/GIII_Diary.htm
which uses frames. Go to the table of contents on my home page for the
non frames version. I'm a bit behind on the photos for this although
the diary is within a day or two of being up-to-date.

wrote:

om...

Old October 26th 05, 09:16 AM
Father Kodak

wrote:

[...]

Geez, all I have is two dual-CPU Athlon systems, home built with a
cat5e hub and a cat 5 link to the router/firewall that connects to my
cable modem. Of course, I don't have the Nikon scanner yet. Then
it's time for a 1 TB + RAID 5, just for starters. Plus the mid-range
tape backup drive.

Once Longhorn is released (2007 ?? BF SEG ROTFLMAO) then it's time
for the dual processor dual-core Opteron system with about 8 GB of RAM
and another 2--3 TB of disk.

Yeah.

Father Kodak
Old October 26th 05, 08:39 PM
Roger

wrote:

[...]

Mine are all "roll your own" as well, but they aren't that powerful.
I'd like to have one set up with multiple screens for more realistic
vision when running flight simulators, but I don't think that's going
to happen any time soon.

I'm already instrument rated and fly high performance/complex/
retracts in the real world. Several of the flight sims as well as
Instrument proficiency sims really give a computer a work out. The
instrument training sims are very realistic and the only thing missing
is the feeling of motion. I've flown a number of instrument
approaches on the sim and they are just like real life except the
mistakes are much less expensive as well as less dangerous.

cat5e hub and a cat 5 link to the router/firewall that connects to my
cable modem. Of course, I don't have the Nikon scanner yet. Then
it's time for a 1 TB + RAID 5, just for starters. Plus the mid-range
tape backup drive.

The two scanners came early on. I had "The old family slides and
photos" to scan and so far have been through some where over 20,000
(as I recall) and haven't even touched the prints that go back to the
turn of last century. The idea there is to put the images on DVD,
sent them to other family members and "hopefully" put names and places
with the images

Once Longhorn is released (2007 ?? BF SEG ROTFLMAO) then it's time

You aren't holding your breath are you?

Old October 27th 05, 12:00 AM
Father Kodak

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:39:08 -0400, Roger
wrote:

Geez, all I have is two dual-CPU Athlon systems, home built with a

Mine are all "roll your own" as well, but they aren't that powerful.
I'd like to have one set up with multiple screens for more realistic
vision when running flight simulators, but I don't think that's going
to happen any time soon.

I don't do games and such, but I use Matrox Parhelia video cards for
their 2D quality. These cards have triple-monitor support.

I'm already instrument rated and fly high performance/complex/
retracts in the real world. Several of the flight sims as well as

I fly American Airlines and United Airlines. I'm "rated" a
Lifetime Gold Frequent Flyer on American. That's a lot of time with
butt in seat.

Instrument proficiency sims really give a computer a work out. The
instrument training sims are very realistic and the only thing missing
is the feeling of motion. I've flown a number of instrument
approaches on the sim and they are just like real life except the
mistakes are much less expensive as well as less dangerous.

Sure, you get to "walk away."

The two scanners came early on. I had "The old family slides and
photos" to scan and so far have been through some where over 20,000
(as I recall) and haven't even touched the prints that go back to the
turn of last century. The idea there is to put the images on DVD,
sent them to other family members and "hopefully" put names and places
with the images

that's a great project. Something to pass on to your kids and their
kids.

Once Longhorn is released (2007 ?? BF SEG ROTFLMAO) then it's time

You aren't holding your breath are you?

Well, I can't exactly hold my breath and LMAO at the same time.
Seriously when Longhorn is released, it will sort out a lot of issues
around continued driver support, desirable system configuration, etc.
Then I'll spend some $$$.

Kodak