This news has made AMD'ers happy

Old May 8th 04, 04:56 PM
KR Williams

In article ,
. wsrcc.com
says...

KR Williams writes:
Ok... How about the SX1040BII:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...iption=11-129-
120&depa=0 (sorry for the split)

The Plus AMG cases seem to work fine in our office
and I'm looking at that or the Lifestyle series Sonata for my home system.

The Sonata didn't look all that interesting, though I'm willing
to be convinced otherwise.

I have both a 1040 and a Sonata sitting beside each other. The Sonata
is *much* quieter.

I wish I'd read this yesterday. ;-)

The rubber-grommet disk mounts are also a nice
touch for disks that have noisy arms. (The quiet disks with a ramped
voltage to the disk arm are getting hard to find. It appears that
some company managed to patent the idea of not whacking the arm
solenoid with a square wave.)

I didn't think any drives rapped the voice-coil with a square
wave. I thought the waveforms were quite complex (initial whack,
sustain, tail), with the energy driven in each phase depending on
the distance of the move. At least that's sorta the results I
got from looking at the performance characteristics of various
drives five or six years ago (time flies).

(Asus k8v-se-d, 2Ghz Athlon64 3200, Matrox g550, Seagate Barracuda
80g, Sonata case, Openbsd)

Final toy = Tyan 2875, Opteron 144 (1.8GHz), Matrox G550, Antec
1040, SuSE, and a disk drive to be named later (in the mean time
an IBM DeskStar, likely the old 37GB, promoted from this system).

--
Keith
Old May 8th 04, 05:21 PM
Rob Stow

KR Williams wrote:

Final toy = Tyan 2875, Opteron 144 (1.8GHz), Matrox G550, Antec
1040, SuSE, and a disk drive to be named later (in the mean time
an IBM DeskStar, likely the old 37GB, promoted from this system).

Dang! If I'd known you needed a G550 I could have sent you
one a couple of weeks ago for $13 (Canadian) - price of a
couple of 30 oz "schooners" at my favourite pub - which is
what I got for it last week.

Not that I'm terribly impressed by my "upgrade" to a P650.
No noticeable change for the kinds of things I do except on
those rare occasions when I go above 1280 x 1024. The P650
*is* much better at 1600 x 1200. But what the heck, the
price was right: free from someone who wanted to switch to
a better gaming card.

Old May 8th 04, 07:21 PM
Rob Stow

KR Williams wrote:

In article ,
says...

KR Williams wrote:

Final toy = Tyan 2875, Opteron 144 (1.8GHz), Matrox G550, Antec
1040, SuSE, and a disk drive to be named later (in the mean time
an IBM DeskStar, likely the old 37GB, promoted from this system).

Dang! If I'd known you needed a G550 I could have sent you
one a couple of weeks ago for $13 (Canadian) - price of a
couple of 30 oz "schooners" at my favourite pub - which is
what I got for it last week.

Oh, well. ...woulda bought the night! ;-)

Not that I'm terribly impressed by my "upgrade" to a P650.
No noticeable change for the kinds of things I do except on
those rare occasions when I go above 1280 x 1024. The P650
*is* much better at 1600 x 1200. But what the heck, the
price was right: free from someone who wanted to switch to
a better gaming card.

Gee, and to think I run 1600x1200 on an ancient Matrox Mystique
on my laptop at work. :-| Come to think of it, I think (Start-
Settings-Control Panel-Display-Settings, yup!) this system has
a Mystique in it too (at 1280x1024). Perhaps I'll notice the
difference with the G550? ;-)

With my G550, as soon as I went to 1600 x 1200 the text quality
dropped sharply. Fuzzy fonts, lines not as crisp, etc - the kind
of crap you expect from non-Matrox cards. Note that I use
dual ViewSonic 19" CRTs - perhaps the G550 would have done OK at
1600 x 1200 if it was only trying to drive one of them ?

I think I skipped over the Mystiques - I went straight from
Millenium I and II to G400, G550, and now P650. IIRC, the
Mystique was a low-end G200 series card ?

Oh, and I forgot the display on the new toy: ViewSonic P95f-b,
which I got an *excellent* deal on. My IBM G94 will move over to
secondary, once I get everything running (and teach the CFO how
to navigate Linux). I'll likely put a KVM on it so I can keep
this system for the WinCrap (like the digital camera).

If you can squeeze the money out of the bean counters, give
VMWare a shot. No more ****ing around with KVMs and the
associated rubberized spaghetti. Multiple OSes all running
at the same time is *really* nice with VMWare - particularly
on a dualie with lots of RAM. Do go to the VMWare site
first and take a look at the supported hardware.
Old May 8th 04, 08:49 PM
KR Williams

In article ,
says...
KR Williams wrote:

In article ,
says...

KR Williams wrote:

[...]

I thought the Mistique was a Millenium, on the cheap. Most
didn't have dual-head capability. I had to search through a pile
to find ones that would work with dual-head (there's a code on
the cards). Even the laptop needed one of the dual-head capable
cards. Not sure what the difference was.

Oh, and I forgot the display on the new toy: ViewSonic P95f-b,
which I got an *excellent* deal on. My IBM G94 will move over to
secondary, once I get everything running (and teach the CFO how
to navigate Linux). I'll likely put a KVM on it so I can keep
this system for the WinCrap (like the digital camera).

If you can squeeze the money out of the bean counters, give
VMWare a shot. No more ****ing around with KVMs and the
associated rubberized spaghetti. Multiple OSes all running
at the same time is *really* nice with VMWare - particularly
on a dualie with lots of RAM. Do go to the VMWare site
first and take a look at the supported hardware.

I'll take a look. Btw, in this case the counter of beans sleeps
in the same bed. ...and I'd like to keep it that way! ;-)

--
Keith
Old May 9th 04, 01:23 AM
Rob Stow

KR Williams wrote:
In article ,
says...

KR Williams wrote:

In article ,
says...

KR Williams wrote:

[...]

In which case you'll probably want to pass on VMWare.
I bought a copy of VMWare 3.0 a few months ago for $395
(Canadian). Not the kind of money I spend for personal-use
software - you can bet the farm that someone else picked up
the tab for VMWare in my case.
Old May 9th 04, 04:38 AM
KR Williams

In article ,
says...
KR Williams wrote:
In article ,
says...

KR Williams wrote:

In article ,
says...

KR Williams wrote:

[...]

That's sorta what I thought about VMWare. I have tons of high-
priced software (something close to a $100K on my laptop, at one
time), but you can bet I don't have a personal copy. ;-)

--
Keith
Old May 10th 04, 12:13 AM
gaffo

KR Williams wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Tue, 4 May 2004 22:56:09 -0400, KR Williams wrote:

In article cTVlc.52265$DrD1.17933
, news.20.bbbl67
says...

Seems that for one week this past month, there were more AMD-based desktops
sold than Intel-based.

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/hardware/33636.html

For the week ending April 24th, 52% of retail desktops were AMD, and only
47% were Intel. Minor, temporary victory? Absolutely. Just a victory in one
geographical market, North America? Sure. Just represents retail sales only?
Yup. Achieved in the middle of an overall bad quarter? Possibly.

But has this situation ever arisen before, where AMD outsold Intel? I've
never seen it, ever.

Bums me out. The prices for AMD widgets has gone up, just when
I'm about to dive in. *******s! ;-)

Serioulsy, I've got the guts picked out, simply thinking about a
case and a graphics card. Suggestions? Note that the case must
support SuSE and dual monitors. ;-)

Hmmm, I'm nearly ready to take the toe-dip(?) myself.:-) For a graphics
card, nVidia has come a long way on the 2D and I'm still nervous about
previous ATI "driver of the week" syndrome results.

Well... Graphics cards look like a big bugaboo. Unless anyone
can convince me otherwise, I think I'm going safe: Matrox G550.
I'm really a 2D kinda guy anyway (and dual monitors are a must).

Had a Millinium yrs ago. good company.

Have a g-force2mx now - (nvidia) - also good product.

You should consider Nvidia - for the reasons the other poster said -
good drivers for Linux. ATI neglects Linux.

I just bought a Nvidia 5700 LE with 256meg vid ram/TV-out/DVI/dual
monitor support.................all for 120 bucks after rebate. (but
hurry one of the two rebates end in a few days).

I plan to use it in my new PC I'm building using a 30-buck Athlon1800XP,
and 1-gig ram. Yes I do not build around the CPU - I find the CPU is the
less important things to concider in the real word. MONITOR, then RAM
and vid card are the most important, followed by Harddrive. IMO.

I ignore sound and use the on board myself.

here is the link to the vid card:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=P450-8511

I'm also 99.44% sure I'm going with SuSE (they've even gotten
smart and are packaging the 64b version along with the 32b
package).

I like SuSe.

--
http://baltimorechronicle.com/041704reTreason.shtml

http://www.truthinaction.net/iraq/illegaljayne.htm

"Bush, in Austin, criticized President Clinton's administration for
the Kosovo military action.'Victory means exit strategy, and it's important
for the president to explain to us what the exit strategy is,' Bush said."
Houston Chronicle 4/9/99

"The new administration seems to be paying no attention to the problem
of terrorism. What they will do is stagger along until there's a major
incident and then suddenly say, 'Oh my God, shouldn't we be organized
to deal with this?'"
- Paul Bremer, speaking to a McCormick Tribune Foundation conference
on terrorism in Wheaton, Ill. on Feb. 26, 2001.

"On Jan. 26, 1998, President Clinton received a letter imploring him to use
his State of the Union address to make removal of Saddam Hussein's regime
the "aim of American foreign policy" and to use military action because
"diplomacy is failing." Were Clinton to do that, the signers pledged, they
would "offer our full support in this difficult but necessary endeavor."
Signing the pledge were Elliott Abrams, Bill Bennett, John Bolton, Robert
Kagan, William Kristol, Richard Perle, and Paul Wolfowitz. Four years before
9/11, the neocons had Baghdad on their minds."
-philip (usenet)

"I had better things to do in the 60s than fight in Vietnam,"
-Richard Cheney, Kerry critic.

"I hope they will understand that in order for this government to get up
and running
- to be effective - some of its sovereignty will have to be given
back, if I can put it that way,
or limited by them, It's sovereignty but [some] of that sovereignty they
are going to allow us to exercise
on their behalf and with their permission."
- Powell 4/27/04

"We're trying to explain how things are going, and they are going as they
are going," he said, adding: "Some things are going well and some things
obviously are not going well. You're going to have good days and bad days."
On the road to democracy, this "is one moment, and there will be other
moments. And there will be good moments and there will be less good
moments."
- Rumsfeld 4/6/04

RUSSERT: Are you prepared to lose?

BUSH: No, I'm not going to lose.

RUSSERT: If you did, what would you do?

BUSH: Well, I don't plan on losing. I've got a vision for what I want to
do for the country.
See, I know exactly where I want to lead.................And we got
changing times
here in America, too., 2/8/04

"And that's very important for, I think, the people to understand where
I'm coming from,
to know that this is a dangerous world. I wish it wasn't. I'm a war
president.
I make decisions here in the Oval Office in foreign policy matters with
war on my mind.
- pResident of the United State of America, 2/8/04

"Let's talk about the nuclear proposition for a minute. We know that
based on intelligence, that he has been very, very good at hiding
these kinds of efforts. He's had years to get good at it and we know
he has been absolutely devoted to trying to acquire nuclear weapons.
And we believe he has, in fact, reconstituted nuclear weapons."
- Vice President Dick Cheney, on "Meet the Press", 3/16/03

"I don't know anybody that I can think of who has contended that the
Iraqis had nuclear weapons."
- Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, 6/24/03

"I think in this case international law
stood in the way of doing the right thing (invading Iraq)."
- Richard Perle

"He (Saddam Hussein) has not developed any significant capability with
respect to weapons of mass destruction. He is unable to project
conventional power against his neighbours."
- Colin Powell February 24 2001

"We have been successful for the last ten years in keeping
him from developing those weapons and we will continue to be successful."

"He threatens not the United States."

"But I also thought that we had pretty
much removed his stings and frankly for ten years we really have."

'But what is interesting is that with the regime that has been in place
for the past ten years, I think a pretty good job has been done of
keeping him from breaking out and suddenly showing up one day and saying
"look what I got." He hasn't been able to do that.'
- Colin Powell February 26 2001