TriGem contact details

Old November 15th 05, 12:15 PM
Red Dave

Default TriGem contact details

Does anyone have any contact details for TriGem? I have an eMachines 620
sitting here with a blown PSU. Looks like it's taken out the motherboard as
well (just repeatedly beeps in quick succession when turned on) so I need to
find a replacement.

The motherboard is a TriGem Alaska3. I can't find any contact information
on TriGem's website.

I'm in the UK, so a local contact would be best - anyone?!

Thanks in advance,
Dave.

Old November 15th 05, 03:12 PM
kony

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 12:15:44 -0000, "Red Dave"
wrote:

Does anyone have any contact details for TriGem? I have an eMachines 620
sitting here with a blown PSU. Looks like it's taken out the motherboard as
well (just repeatedly beeps in quick succession when turned on) so I need to
find a replacement.

?

You did try a new, known viable PSU when you observed this
repeated-beep situation?

Do you need the exact same board for any particular reason,
for example do you have an Emachines factory installatio
image which "needs" to be restorable and viable for the
replacement board, or might it be just as well to get some
other compatible mATX board that can reuse same CPU and
memory (or even some other motherboard if you had a desire
for a CPU and/or memory change)?

THe PSU is probably a standard mATX, either mATX-L or -S,
depending on whether it mounts to the case on the (L)onger
side or the (S)horter side. Typically a major name brand is
the best bet, more important than wattage rating as some
generics dubiously claim as much as 300W which is
unrealistic.

The motherboard is a TriGem Alaska3. I can't find any contact information
on TriGem's website.

I'm in the UK, so a local contact would be best - anyone?!

You'd have to get it from eMachines most likely, as even a
Trigem board would not have the emachines bios id string
necessary to get Restore CDs to work (presuming that is your
goal with same-board replacement). If you don't have such a
goal to use the Restore CDs anymore, IIIRC it was an Intel
845 mATX board with integrated video and (probably) DDR
Memory so seek anything else with these specs.

Old November 15th 05, 04:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

news
wrote:

[...]

I've already replaced the PSU. Machine failed to start with old PSU.
Tested it and it doesn't work (customer reported a "burning" smell!).
Situation is now that when the mains is turned on, the machine automatically
powers up and a repeated beep is heard from the speaker (although quite
quietly). The machine fails to turn off except via the switch on the wall!

I'm looking for the exact same board so that the installed (and activated)
Windows XP installation will continue to work.

The motherboard is a TriGem Alaska3. I can't find any contact information
on TriGem's website.

I'm in the UK, so a local contact would be best - anyone?!

You'd have to get it from eMachines most likely, as even a
Trigem board would not have the emachines bios id string
necessary to get Restore CDs to work (presuming that is your
goal with same-board replacement). If you don't have such a
goal to use the Restore CDs anymore, IIIRC it was an Intel
845 mATX board with integrated video and (probably) DDR
Memory so seek anything else with these specs.

Hmmm... hadn't thought about the BIOS ID string...! Okay, looks like it's
either eMachine's contracted-out support or a.n.other board (plus new XP,
etc. etc.)

Thanks Kony.

Old November 16th 05, 10:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

In article , "Red Dave"
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

This site claimed to have a picture of the Alaska3, but I'm not sure
the picure is correct:

http://www.emachineupgraders.info/di.../alaska3.shtml

Now, if you go to www.pcservicecall.co.uk and search for Trigem Alaska3,
then click the one returned link, there is a picture of the PCI slot
area.

http://www.pcservicecall.co.uk/Searc...0AND%20alaska3

The picture looks quite similar to the Trigem Glendale used by HP.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/g...ame=bph0781 3

Now, this info is only useful, if:

1) The HP board is an exact match (and these OEMed boards are full
of crafty substitutions, so it is hard to be sure).
2) You can buy a replacement Glendale board from HP.
3) The BIOS chip is socketed on both boards, so you can pull the ROM
from the old board, and place it in the new board. Unless, of
course, soldering is your forte.

HTH,
Paul
Old November 17th 05, 11:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

"Paul" wrote in message
In article , "Red Dave"
wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

Thanks!! Looks like you've gone to great lengths, and how on earth did you
"know" that the two motherboards are similar - thanks again ;-)

But, you're right, there are plenty of ifs and buts. The layout of the
boards is (at least a little) different and then there's the hope of the
BIOS working, etc. At this point, I think there are a few too many
uncertainties, and since I can't get a direct replacement, any old board
with do (plus the new version of Windows XP - damn it!).

Thanks,
Dave.

Old November 18th 05, 06:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware

In article , "Red Dave"
wrote:

Paul,

Thanks!! Looks like you've gone to great lengths, and how on earth did you
"know" that the two motherboards are similar - thanks again ;-)

But, you're right, there are plenty of ifs and buts. The layout of the
boards is (at least a little) different and then there's the hope of the
BIOS working, etc. At this point, I think there are a few too many
uncertainties, and since I can't get a direct replacement, any old board
with do (plus the new version of Windows XP - damn it!).

Thanks,
Dave.

I've looked for stuff on the HP site before, and they use the
Trigem "Cognac" board for some of their stuff. I just tried searching
using the chipset part number, and the Glendale is what popped up.

If the layout is different, then all bets are off. I was just
thinking that, what are the odds that Trigem would make two different
845GL boards.

I saw an Emachines parts site when I was searching, but it didn't
have Alaska3 listed.

What really sucks, is not being able to reuse the OS that is paid for.

Paul