Just a query!

Old February 15th 09, 09:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Dumbo

Default Just a query!

I have a problem with two graphics cards that I purchased before Xmas and
don't work on my Striker Extreme. I have tried them both on a NF4 SLi 939
based system I resurrected and still they don't work but the question is it
a PCI-E 2.0 problem? Do I buy a new Intel motherboard and strip and rebuild
my current system or do I try another completely different chipset based on
a modern AM2 system (new CPU, motherboard and cooler)?
I am thinking that the complete change may eliminate any other queries.
Ideas anyone?

Robin

Old February 16th 09, 05:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon[_4_]

'Dumbo' wrote:
I have a problem with two graphics cards that I purchased before Xmas and
don't work on my Striker Extreme. I have tried them both on a NF4 SLi 939
based system I resurrected and still they don't work but the question is it
a PCI-E 2.0 problem? Do I buy a new Intel motherboard and strip and
rebuild my current system or do I try another completely different chipset
based on a modern AM2 system (new CPU, motherboard and cooler)?
I am thinking that the complete change may eliminate any other queries.
Ideas anyone?

_____

What cards? Were the cards new? Had they ever worked for you?
No information in, no information out.
You are flailing.
PCI-e 2.0 cards are backward compatible with PCI-e 1.0.
AM2? What is this AM2 system?

From the lack of information you have been providing, the troubles you have
been reporting, and the ideas you have about what may be wrong, I suggest...
getting on site help from a more experienced computer system builder. It
ain't your chipset, but the problem could be, for all we know, most anything
else... most likely the component in front of the keyboard. So check that
out also. Perhaps read a good book or two, or at least a few good websites.

Phil Weldon

Old February 16th 09, 07:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Gin Tonix

Phil Weldon kirjoitti:
'Dumbo' wrote:
I have a problem with two graphics cards that I purchased before Xmas
and don't work on my Striker Extreme. I have tried them both on a NF4
SLi 939 based system I resurrected and still they don't work but the
question is it a PCI-E 2.0 problem? Do I buy a new Intel motherboard
and strip and rebuild my current system or do I try another completely
different chipset based on a modern AM2 system (new CPU, motherboard
and cooler)?
I am thinking that the complete change may eliminate any other queries.
Ideas anyone?

_____

What cards? Were the cards new? Had they ever worked for you?
No information in, no information out.
You are flailing.
PCI-e 2.0 cards are backward compatible with PCI-e 1.0.

That is basically true, but there are some known glitches. For example,
some those Asrock boards with both AGP and PCI-E (1.something) slots,
will not cooperate with some PCI-E 2.0 cards (GF, IIRC). I have also
heard that some Via chipsets on PCI-E 1.x boards don't like some
(GeForce again) 2.0 cards, but these known two anomalies don't apply
here. Probably. He doesn't tell too much about his system.

AM2? What is this AM2 system?

From the lack of information you have been providing, the troubles you
have been reporting, and the ideas you have about what may be wrong, I

Old February 16th 09, 09:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Dumbo

Look I know I'm flailing but I have assurances that my GTX was a fully
working card and the 4870 Force3d was a problem card (I assumed it was heat
issue and a new cooler (air or water would fix it)). Neither will post on a
Striker Extreme motherboard I have. There are a lot of postings out there
saying that the PCI-e 2.0 cards refuse to function with these cards but I
have persevered. Even ASUS support forums have this type of statement
posted there.
I cannot get even one friend who has a PSU with the correct connectors or
correct wattage of PSU to run it. BFG tech don't seem to be too helpful.
My point is this. If I purchase an AM2 based motherboard, CPU and cooler
and try my psu (Hiper-4m880w) would that negate the issue of some
incompatibility with 680/780 chipsets.
I haven't got an AM2 setup but one based on another chipset should take
another if out of the equation.

Robin

Old February 17th 09, 05:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Paul

Dumbo wrote:
[...]

It's an interesting problem.

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

What I find really funny, is one guy reporting an 8800 GT works.
8800 GT was a PCI Express 2.0 card, that had problems with a number
of different PCI Express 1.0 motherboards. They fixed that, by
issuing new video card BIOS files, so the video card had to be
flashed to fix it. What that was supposed to do, was try
PCI Express 1.0 mode first (or only that mode), and that
was supposed to fix it. So someone on the Asus forum got
an 8800 GT to work with Striker Extreme. I understand the
PCI Express 2.0 standard, actually says to try PCI Express
1.0 mode first, so it is supposed to go in that order anyway.

It looks like people have been playing with various settings,
in an attempt to figure it out. For example, they tried playing
with PCI Express clock. Someone also mentioned some (unnamed)
forum trying to modify the Northbridge voltage.

If I had that motherboard and problem, I might try plugging in
an old PCI video card, just to get the system working, and then
try the PCI Express video card in various slots. On some motherboards,
the BIOS is sensitive to which slot is tried by the user. The slot
closest to the processor is the one I'd try first. Sometimes, the
other ones cannot be used if only one video card is present, and
I'm not sure why the BIOS would care.

I wonder if disabling Link Boost would help ? That looks
pretty dangerous...

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2869&p=5

It would definitely be more fun to debug this, with a cheap
PCI video card just to drive the monitor, while you try settings
in the BIOS.

Paul
Old February 17th 09, 04:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Medlin

"Dumbo" wrote in message
[...]

Assurances don't mean they work. Both of the cards in question may be bad if
you haven't seen them working. I have a Striker Extreme based system that
has had a couple of 8800GTX cards in SLI and in single card mode and they
worked perfectly. The cards are now in my i7 system and working perfectly
with an Asus P6T. I have had several 8800 based cards in the Striker Extreme
and have built 3 other systems around Asus 680i boards for family without
any issues at all, and using 8800 based cards in all of them. All the
systems are 1-2 years old and running great. I haven't had any pcie 1-2
issues and it is so rare (so few folks on the boards claim to have them)
that I would look somewhere else as the problem. PSUs are so important with
today's systems and there are a lot more problems associated with that than
with any other problem I have seen. If you have never seen either card work
in a system, and have not tried a known good card in your system (one you
have seen work) or have not tried your cards in another system it is very
difficult for anyone to do anything other than guess what your problem may
be.

Ed

PSU Query? Christo Homebuilt PC's 21 October 7th 06 03:32 PM
PSU QUERY knobber Intel 2 February 9th 05 04:51 PM
Update on my Canon IP4000 query--- + new query MB_ Dell Computers 3 December 28th 04 11:09 AM
A query Firefly Printers 0 November 27th 04 01:34 PM
DVI query Jabout Homebuilt PC's 2 May 8th 04 10:30 PM