Which A3 Inkjet

Old October 4th 06, 04:36 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
alphawave

Default Which A3 Inkjet

I need to buy a replacement A3 inkjet to replace a Canon BJC6500 that
has died.

I've had 4-5 years good service from th 6500 and was thinking of buying
either the Canon Pixma IX4000 or IX5000 to replace it.

Does anyone have one of these? Am I correct that the only difference
between the two is the print speed?

Can anyone suggest any alternatives bearing in mind I would like
individual cartridges for each colour - not combo cartridges.

Thanks in advance.

Kev

Old October 4th 06, 04:54 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

alphawave wrote:

I need to buy a replacement A3 inkjet to replace a Canon BJC6500 that
has died.

I've had 4-5 years good service from th 6500 and was thinking of buying
either the Canon Pixma IX4000 or IX5000 to replace it.

The current model is the IP4300. Canon claims the ink has longer
archival properties. The IP4300 meets your requirements and can be had
for around $80.00. Be sure to only use Canon ink.

Old October 5th 06, 12:48 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
alphawave

Thanks for the info - but the IP range is not the same range as the IX
- the IP is an A4 format printer.

Check out

http://www.brochures.canon-europe.co...1144062464.pdf

Kev

Old October 5th 06, 02:00 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
zakezuke

alphawave wrote:
Thanks for the info - but the IP range is not the same range as the IX
- the IP is an A4 format printer.

Check out

http://www.brochures.canon-europe.co...1144062464.pdf

Kev

Ah, you've met our neighborhood troll... he's been told about these
models many times but it doesn't sink in.

Near as i'm aware... keep in mind I have not met these units (not even
sure they are sold in the US), these are four tank printers using the
same inks as the desktop equilivent, much like the bjc-6000 in this
regard. The bjc-6000 at least an an optional photo black, cyan,
magenta cartridge... so if you didn't use this before, you should be
more than happy.

Consider the ink compliment, I'm thinking it's gotta be much like the
ip3000 in the fact it probally mixes cyan/magenta/yellow to make black
for anything other than photo paper. Again, if you were happy with
your bjc-6000 without the extra photo cartrige... I don't see a
problem.

I'm sort of in the same boat as your self, i'm running an old Epson
1520 for my a3+ needs. My big complaint is paying desktop prices for
wide format, and 30min/print, but I can do proofs before sending out to
costco... so for me it's not a bad deal. But if I was doing any volume
what so ever, i'd swap models in a heartbeat, for something which takes
larger tanks.

The page yield is very deceptive. They don't make it clear that they
are talking a4 printing for the cartridge yield, and even then the test
print they are claming 1500pages for the black is for something setup
to use NO pigmented black what so ever.

If you were using the photo cartridge at all, consider shelling out
more money for the i9900 or the pixma pro 9000. They lack the pigment
black, but have the photo black, photo cyan/magenta, red and green
(IIRC) inks.

Old October 6th 06, 11:30 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
alphawave

I used the BJC6500 for CAD drawings - So, mostly black line drawings
with a little splash of colour for notes, dimensions, logos etc and the
odd shaded view - so nothing too challenging graphically and yes the
Black photo cart is not an issue.

I think it must treat the lines as text and print them from the black
cart rather than mixing CMY.

The individual carts are a must as one colour usually runs out way
before the others.

I have spoken to Canon about the difference between the IX4000 and
IX5000 and the only difference is the print speed.

18 ppm mono /14ppm colour for the IX4000 and 25 ppm mono /17 ppm colour
for the IX5000

As speed is not that much of an issue for me I think I'll save £50 and
buy the IX4000.

I also asked if t would be possible to repair my old BJC6500 but the
cost of sending an engineer + buying the parts outweighs the cost of a
new machine.

Kev

Old October 6th 06, 06:04 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
zakezuke

alphawave wrote:
I used the BJC6500 for CAD drawings - So, mostly black line drawings
with a little splash of colour for notes, dimensions, logos etc and the
odd shaded view - so nothing too challenging graphically and yes the
Black photo cart is not an issue.

If you were happy before, there is no reason you wouldn't be happy now.
Keep in mind on the lesser ip3000, if you selected anything other than
plain paper it would use cyan magenta and yellow to make black, but
given we are talking CAD this is likely what you want. Sharp high
contrast dence lines.

I lack experence with the ix4000/ix5000, but based on the specs it
seems to be a wide model based on the older ip3000.

I think it must treat the lines as text and print them from the black
cart rather than mixing CMY.

Yes, on lesser canons it's documented oriented, as in it's either text
black, or dye black, and if no dye black mix colors to make dye black.

The individual carts are a must as one colour usually runs out way
before the others.

This is fair comment... though I don't spend too much on ink for my
stylus 1520 tri-color tank, so this is a non issue. It's true my
volume is only that of the color I use the most, but the rest, well the
rest while it does get tossed I don't feel I lose money as otherwise
i'd be shelling out more money for three tanks, and in the case of
epson the cleaning cycles swapping cartridges are so much that if it
took individual tanks, i'd swap them all at the same time. Consumer
canons are different in this regard, these guys I have no issues
swapping out tanks one at a time.

I have spoken to Canon about the difference between the IX4000 and
IX5000 and the only difference is the print speed.

18 ppm mono /14ppm colour for the IX4000 and 25 ppm mono /17 ppm colour
for the IX5000

As speed is not that much of an issue for me I think I'll save £50 and
buy the IX4000.

Hey... I lack any data to argue with you on this... you logic is sound.
The greater model could have better motors or longer life, but...
without any evidence to support this I wouldn't spend the extra £50.

I also asked if t would be possible to repair my old BJC6500 but the
cost of sending an engineer + buying the parts outweighs the cost of a
new machine.

You should share with the group what issues you are having with the
BJC6500. I mean, if it doesn't work at all it might be worth picking
up... what is it called, the QH3-3332-000 power supply. That should be
the 240V model. There is always the issue of where the printer works
and doesn't spew ink, which is likely to be a head issue, where the
color head would probally run 50 to 70quid. If color resolution wasn't
a worry, i'd consider it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-BJC6000-Pr...QQcmdZViewItem

But really, the uk is like the states in this regard, cost of labor
tends to be greater than the cost of a new unit. Used or referbished
units on the other hand... I could get a bjc-6000 in the states for
about USD$200. Text resolution has NOT improved for canons in some
time, it was pretty good before and continues to be pretty good.

Old October 6th 06, 06:55 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
alphawave

There are 2 faults that are happening although one may be a consequence
of the other, they a
1) Paper does not load - when the printer is switched on the motors
start and the thing springs to life (as it always has) then it treis to
load the paper and on most occasions nothing happens

Looking without the covers on the transport roller does not move to
pick up the paper. On the odd occasion the paper does get picked up
(with my help) it feeds through the printer and out the other end.

2) After a while the printer beeps 6 times which is an indication of a
cartridge fault. I've changed all 4 cartridges & re-seated the print
heads but this has no effect.

Kev

The ideal inkjet printer anon Printers 6 April 29th 05 07:39 AM
REQ: HP Business Inkjet 1100 Series service manaul and others Mike Printers 4 August 26th 04 04:16 AM
Best off-brandname Inkjet Refill Kit Roland Marsey Printers 17 August 2nd 04 01:20 AM