Cant get 2.4C to 3ghz....any ideas..?

Old July 3rd 03, 12:25 AM
Mark Grant

Default Cant get 2.4C to 3ghz....any ideas..?

Hello,

Based on advice from this group,
I just built a system using the following:

My goal was to run it at 3.0ghz (12X250). It will boot, it will post, it
will do most applications okay, but when I run Medal of Honor or MS
Flightsim 2000, it crashes. I either get the blue screen (lower voltages on
cpu) or a windows "weve encountered a problem and have to close ___" (higher
voltages on cpu.

I am frustrated because I thought most all 2.4C with good memory would run
at 12X250. Does anyone have any suggestions ? The highest voltage that I
have tried so far on the CPU is 1.8. I am afraid to run it any higher
although my BIOS supports up to 1.9.

Heat isnt really a factor. The hottest I have got it to so far is 45C. I am
kind of disappointed because I upgraded from a 2800+ Barton, and this system
is slower at the factory default setting. It is only about 8% faster running
at 3.0ghz.

Here's my stuff:

PIV 2.4C
Abit IS7 bios upgrade to 13
Zalman 7000C heatsnk / fan
Antec Case w/ 400 watt PS
Corsair 3200 LL 512MB Ram (1 stick)
Ati 9500 Pro latest drivers
XP Service pack 1

By the way, the Zalman cooler rocks.

Thanks in advance for any idears,

Mark

Old July 3rd 03, 03:22 AM
MiniDisc_2k2

I've got a Northwood 2.4 as well and I can only get it up to 2.95GHz. Grant
it that you're using a 12x multiplier and I'm using an 18x, so there will be
differences (yours will be a bit easier to OC) but it seems you've maxxed
out. The CPU does still use the 13 micron, 1.5V technology, so there are
some similarities. Mine won't post above a 164FSB (164*18 = 2952, what it's
running at right now). You're getting a little luckier. It'll post but won't
be stable. I'd just recommend increasing the voltage a bit. If you can't get
it then, I don't think you'll be able to go that high. Remember all CPUs are
different and while some people may get up to 3.2GHz, some won't get more
than a 400MHz boost. My VCore's at 1.675V and it's safe with a stock cooler.
I wouldn't recommend going higher than that. If you hit 1.675V and can't get
it stable, I'd give up.

-- MiniDisc_2k2
To reply, replace nospam.com with cox dot net.

Old July 3rd 03, 03:43 AM
Courseyauto

My goal was to run it at 3.0ghz (12X250). It will boot, it will post, it
will do most applications okay, but when I run Medal of Honor or MS
Flightsim 2000, it crashes. I either get the blue screen (lower voltages

on
cpu) or a windows "weve encountered a problem and have to close ___"

(higher
voltages on cpu.

I am frustrated because I thought most all 2.4C with good memory would run
at 12X250. Does anyone have any suggestions ? The highest voltage that I
have tried so far on the CPU is 1.8. I am afraid to run it any higher
although my BIOS supports up to 1.9.

What do you have your memory divider set to. You might be pushing
your memory too high. Have you tried uping the memory voltage to 2.7 to
make it more stable. You can't believe a lot of the overclocks that
people claim to get with the 2.4,the only purpose the computer serves is to see
high the can overclock it.
DOUG
Old July 3rd 03, 02:28 PM
Mark Grant

Now I have done some research and realized that its not the CPU that's
holding me back, its the northbridge. It needs better cooling than stock, so
I have ordered a Zalman northbridge heatsink...there only $7. Well see what
kind of results that i get then.

Mark

Old July 3rd 03, 03:27 PM
MiniDisc_2k2

Strange, I actually get better performance and fewer crashes with lower
voltage. Right now I am running it at 1.6 v. If I go higher, the system

gets
buggy.

Mark

That would mean that you're overvolting it. Yes, if you push the voltage too
high your CPU could get "buggy." This means that 1.6v is what you should use
for your current speed.

Old July 4th 03, 05:45 AM
Raichu Mouse Pokémon

1.6v? I wish I had a newer P4PE, I Can't set it that low: 1.huh?I forgot
again... But I can't set it at 1.6 but can set it to 1.8v
Unless that's just what you get with the P4 2.4B (533Mhz)

Old July 4th 03, 06:38 AM
Éric Pinard

mine runs fine with my asus mobo i run it at 3.150Ghz leave the vcote at
auto or 1.6 make sure your age/pci is a 66/33 maybe it is your memory freq
that is too high try turning it down... hope this hepls..

Regards

Eric

PS: In my opinion asus mobos are the best to o/c with my p4pe rocks...

"Mark Grant" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old July 6th 03, 01:51 AM
Eric Witte

"Mark Grant" wrote in message ...
[...]

Have you dissabled the last two options on the "game accelerator" tab
in the BIOS? A lot of people seem to get 30-40 or so on top of their
FSB just by dissabling that option. Also I would not push the voltage
up that high. Your seriously killing the life of the CPU at 1.8v.
The recommendation I see is to not go over 1.7v but personally I try
to stay below 1.6.

Eric

PC in kitchen cabinet... Cooling ideas? Noozer General 8 November 12th 04 11:57 AM
3COM SuperStack 3 3300 XM dead - any ideas? Todd Peters General 1 July 19th 04 04:07 PM
3GHz laptop slow? Jimmy Neutron General 4 March 9th 04 10:53 PM
Ideas for New system stacey General 0 October 29th 03 03:49 AM
Travelling to Italy from UK - Need local ISP and adaptor. Any ideas? Tester General 0 August 7th 03 03:56 PM