Help installing Win 98 SE

Old January 9th 05, 01:50 AM
algae

Default Help installing Win 98 SE

Hi all,
I'm helping a friend with her old Compaq Presario 1235. It was running Win
98 VERY slowly so I decided to reformat and reinstall Win 98 SE as it is
probably loaded with spyware, etc. I formatted the drive, created a Win 98
SE bootdisk, booted to the floppy, and later set the bios to boot to the cd
rom where I put the Win 98 SE Cd. Upon rebooting nothing is happening. The
cd rom isn't spinning up and if I change directory within dos, I still can't
get the machine to read from the cd rom. When I booted to the floppy I chose
"boot with CD rom support". I figured this would go smoothly so I didn't
give much thought to it prior to wiping the drive. Am I missing something
here? Tia for any help.
Gary

Old January 9th 05, 03:05 AM
Yddap

In news:I50Ed.23383$8l.21759@pd7tw1no,
algae opined very noisily:
Hi all,
I'm helping a friend with her old Compaq Presario 1235. It was
running Win 98 VERY slowly so I decided to reformat and reinstall Win
98 SE as it is probably loaded with spyware, etc. I formatted the
drive, created a Win 98 SE bootdisk, booted to the floppy, and later
set the bios to boot to the cd rom where I put the Win 98 SE Cd. Upon
rebooting nothing is happening. The cd rom isn't spinning up and if I
change directory within dos, I still can't get the machine to read
from the cd rom. When I booted to the floppy I chose "boot with CD
rom support". I figured this would go smoothly so I didn't give much
thought to it prior to wiping the drive. Am I missing something here?
Tia for any help.
Gary

The CD is not bootable
Boot from the "A" disk then go to the CD rom at the A prompt , usually the
"E"disk,
do a "Dir " find " Setup " and run that
--

Yddap
Remove guts to reply

Old January 9th 05, 03:26 AM
algae

Thanks for replying. I have tried that since the beginning. No matter what I
try I can't get to the cd rom drive. It's as though the pc doesn't know it's
there. I'm getting an "invalid drive specification error".
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Gary
k...

Old January 9th 05, 05:55 AM
Ben Myers

The real question here is: How was the Windows 98 boot disk created. If it is
one of the rubbish created as part of the original Win 98 install, it is,
well... rubbish. Or at least useless in accessing a CD-ROM drive.

Go to www.bootdisk.com , download the Win 98 SE boot disk IMAGE program. Run
the program, indicating that it is to create the boot disk on a freshly
formatted defect-free floppy diskette. Use the diskette thus created to boot
the system. It contains the DOS device driver and MSCDEX.EXE required to access
the CD-ROM drive. Pay attention to the drive letter assigned to the CD-ROM
drive. From the A: prompt, type the drive letter followed by a colon, e.g.
R:

Then key in the command
SETUP

Then you will be on your way... Ben Myers

Old January 9th 05, 04:59 PM
Wolfram Nickl

cdrom correctly installed - cabels? master/slave?

Old January 9th 05, 05:23 PM
algae

Not sure about that. I can only assume it was working correctly when I got
it. I guess I can take the bottom off the laptop and check it out.
G.
"Wolfram Nickl" wrote in message
y.telekom.at...
cdrom correctly installed - cabels? master/slave?

Old January 9th 05, 06:07 PM
Quaoar

algae wrote:
Not sure about that. I can only assume it was working correctly when
I got it. I guess I can take the bottom off the laptop and check it
out.
G.
"Wolfram Nickl" wrote in message
y.telekom.at...
cdrom correctly installed - cabels? master/slave?

When booting from the floppy with CD-ROM support, you should see the
installation of the basic ATAPI drivers for the CD-ROM scroll up on the
screen. AIRC, the word "OAK" appears on these lines of text. Do you
see this text when booting from the floppy?

You should boot from the floppy with the installation CD in the drive.
After the boot completes, at the command prompt (A:\) type:
E:\setup.exe[enter].

Old January 9th 05, 06:13 PM
algae

Yes I'm seeing that. However when I switch to the E drive and typ setup.exe
I get a "CDR101: Not ready reading drive E. Abort, Retry, Fail." message.

Gary

Old January 9th 05, 09:55 PM
Quaoar

"Quaoar" wrote in message
algae wrote:
Not sure about that. I can only assume it was working correctly when
I got it. I guess I can take the bottom off the laptop and check it
out.
G.
"Wolfram Nickl" wrote in message
y.telekom.at...
cdrom correctly installed - cabels? master/slave?

When booting from the floppy with CD-ROM support, you should see the
installation of the basic ATAPI drivers for the CD-ROM scroll up on
the screen. AIRC, the word "OAK" appears on these lines of text.
Do you see this text when booting from the floppy?

You should boot from the floppy with the installation CD in the
drive. After the boot completes, at the command prompt (A:\) type:
E:\setup.exe[enter].

Does the CD mount OK on another computer? Can you read the files on
another computer?