NuBee Question Here

Old June 13th 04, 02:04 PM
Angel Fan

Default NuBee Question Here

I'm new to laptops so please bear with me a moment.

I want to buy a new computer so I can install Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server on it. I'm getting ready for MS Certification and I need to setup a study lab.

I would like to have a laptop for mobility and entertainment purposes.

Here's my two question: Do the Compaq laptops come with the Windows CD or just the Restore Disk? The reason I ask is I want to reformat and partion the hard drive as soon as I get it but I'm sure if that will work without the CD.

Also, am I totally off base here? Considering my primary goal is to setup a lab, should I just forget about the laptop?

Old June 14th 04, 01:54 AM
Tom Scales

Well, I'll be odd man out. Laptops run server operating systems just fine.
If you are going to do it, consider a Dell. They come with a 'real' OS.

You should also consider VMWare. That would let you run Server 2003 as a
windows in XP.

Tom
"HH" wrote in message
I'll second Deep's suggestions, and to answer one of your specific
Questions, Compaq Presario laptops only come with a Recovery CD, and that
only works if the Restore or system_sav partition is not reformatted or
erased.
HH

"Deep" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
I would venture to say forget about the laptop as your server base. Get a
inexpensive desktop and a laptop if you need the mobility. In fact you can
get good used servers (IBM or Compaq) for pretty decent prices to run your
server and SQL software...

Deep

. com...

Old June 14th 04, 03:55 AM
Herb Stein

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Well, I'll be odd man out. Laptops run server operating systems just

fine.
If you are going to do it, consider a Dell. They come with a 'real' OS.

Amen. My Dell Inspiron runs 2K Server and is flawless.

"HH" wrote in message
I'll second Deep's suggestions, and to answer one of your specific
Questions, Compaq Presario laptops only come with a Recovery CD, and that
only works if the Restore or system_sav partition is not reformatted or
erased.
HH

"Deep" wrote in message
.rogers.com...
I would venture to say forget about the laptop as your server base. Get

inexpensive desktop and a laptop if you need the mobility. In fact you can
get good used servers (IBM or Compaq) for pretty decent prices to run your
server and SQL software...

Deep

. com...

--
Herb Stein

314 952-4601

Old June 14th 04, 06:13 PM
Angel Fan

Thanks to all who responded. Excellent form! Solid advice.

Thanks again,

jim