Limtied grahics and no sound after updation to Win98

Old October 19th 03, 08:51 PM
Gerry

Default Limtied grahics and no sound after updation to Win98

Hi.

My computer is a Compaq Presario 2230 and I am having some
difficulties which I hope some of you guys can solve for me as I have
run out of ideas.

I have had to update to update to Win98 after my PC crashed.
Everything is working fine except two things:

1. Screen resolution is limited to 640x480 and 16 colours. I have
options in the drop down menu (under customise my desktop) for 256 and
16 bit colours and for resolution of 600x800 and 1024x768.
However, when selecting this and pressing OK, the machine informs me
that for the changes to take effect, I must restart the machine. Upon
restart the new settings are lost and the system is back to 640x480
and 16 colours.
I am not sure why this is happening, but I am unsure of how to
overcome it. Compaq support told me they could not help and then told
me to try my home region for advice to no avail.

2. Secondly, after updating to Win98, I have also lost sound on the
PC. There is nothing at all and in the bottom right corner of the
desktop where the clock is there is no speaker. Again, it could be a
driver problem.

I have tried to refresh the drivers, but I am unsure of how to be sure
which ones I need and how to get it going. Is it even a driver
problem?

Please help me, I have been trying to fix this problem for ages now!!!

Thanks in advance.
Old October 19th 03, 09:33 PM
mike

Gerry wrote:
[...]

YOu don't say what you upgraded from.
If you had win95, you MAY be able to install the drivers from the
original driver distribution...assuming you have it.
If you don't, you have two problems, figuring out which hardware you have
and finding 98 drivers for it.
I can't help with the former, but google or driverguide.com can help
once you figure out what you need.
I'd also go to the compaq/hp support site and look there.
mike

laptops and parts Test Equipment
4in/400Wout ham linear amp.
Honda CB-125S
400cc Dirt Bike 2003 miles $550
Police Scanner, Color LCD overhead projector
Tek 2465 $800, ham radio, 30pS pulser