Memory question

Old January 12th 05, 12:30 PM
charleh

Default Memory question

Hello

I currently have a Kobian/Mercury KVT600X-L Mobo and I am looking to
get some more memory. We have a stick of 512 Samsung DDR2-SDRAM PC4300
sat here at work that I was going to try it out. My question is will
my current board take this stick? I'm thinking it won't but I don't
know enough about memory to make that decision.

Here is a copy/paste of my cpuz results:

CPU:

Number of CPUs 1
Name AMD Athlon XP
Code name Thoroughbred
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2200+
Family/Model/Stepping 680
Extended Family/Model 7/8
Package Socket A
Core Stepping A0
Technology 0.13µ
Instructions Sets MMX, Extended MMX, 3DNow!, Extended
3DNow!, SSE
Clock Speed 1800.1 MHz
Clock multiplier x13.5
Front Side Bus Frequency 133.3 MHz
Bus Speed 266.7 MHz
L1 Data Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64
Bytes line size
L1 Instruction Cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64
Bytes line size
L2 Cache 256 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64
Bytes line size
L2 Speed 1800.1 MHz (Full)
L2 Location On Chip
L2 Data Prefetch Logic yes
L2 Bus Width 64 bits

Chipset:

Northbridge VIA KT600 rev. 80
Southbridge VIA VT8237 rev. 0
AGP Revision 3.5
AGP Transfert Rate 8x
AGP SBA supported, enabled
AGP Aperture 128 MBytes
Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 256 MBytes
Memory Frequency 133.3 MHz (1:1)
DRAM Interleave 4-way
CAS# 2.5
RAS# to CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
Cycle Time (tRAS) 6

Many thanks and sorry for the excess c/p

charleh
Old January 12th 05, 06:08 PM

charleh wrote:
Hello

I currently have a Kobian/Mercury KVT600X-L Mobo and I am looking to
get some more memory. We have a stick of 512 Samsung DDR2-SDRAM

PC4300
sat here at work that I was going to try it out. My question is will
my current board take this stick? I'm thinking it won't but I don't
know enough about memory to make that decision.

Here is a copy/paste of my cpuz results:

snip

Thatnk's for the info, but it doesn't mater what the CPU is - all that
matters is the motherboard and after a quick Google, your motherboard
supports up to DDR-400 RAM, aka PC3200.

The memory you've got a work appears to be DDR2-533 (PC4200, not 4300),
so whilst it might fit in the slot, it will only run at 400mhz.

Old January 12th 05, 06:29 PM
userme

Hi Charleh
No you can not use DDR2-SDRAM PC4300. Your motherboard only supports memory
of type DDR and DDR400
http://www.mercury-pc.com/products.php?productid=384
DDR2 is not compatiable with DDR and beside that DDR2 pC4300 = DDR2537.5M
which is faster than the motherboard can support!
So the answer is NO.
Hope that helps

"charleh" wrote in message
[...]

On the brink of madness... I.C. Koets General 18 January 31st 05 10:49 PM
memory question asus mobo -Avery Anderson- AMD x86-64 Processors 3 December 10th 04 05:36 PM
fsb speed - why does it matter? James Hanley Overclocking 52 November 7th 04 12:04 PM
memory question.. Gordon Overclocking 1 November 24th 03 08:26 AM
Memory Question DocMilligan Overclocking AMD Processors 1 July 26th 03 11:33 PM