using a laptop as a desktop system..

Old February 3rd 04, 09:42 AM
MrJumbles

Default using a laptop as a desktop system..

Are then any issues with using a laptop like a desktop system? I want to run
it 24/7 as a quieter and smaller alternative to a tower/monitor set up.....I
would use an external kb/mouse/tablet as well.. live in australia so
ambient temps as high as 30c..
are laptops up to this type of use..
any info or experience appreciated.
steven.

Old February 3rd 04, 10:01 AM
wm

MrJumbles wrote:
Are then any issues with using a laptop like a desktop system? I want to run
it 24/7 as a quieter and smaller alternative to a tower/monitor set up.....I
would use an external kb/mouse/tablet as well.. live in australia so
ambient temps as high as 30c..
are laptops up to this type of use..
any info or experience appreciated.
steven.

I've essentially been doing it for 3 years now. Issues to consider: the
HD is considerably slower than a desktop system; heat can sometimes be
a problem, make sure that all of the vents are clear of obstructions;
the sound card is extremely susceptible to heat, mine starts making a
horrible sound after its been running for a while. Also, realize that
leaving it plugged in all of the time will effectively ruin the battery.
If its possible, you'll want to remove that. The CD-ROM, at least in
my notebook, is noticeably louder than a desktop drive when it spins up.
If it matters, the laptop is a Toshiba Satellite 2805-S503. Other
than those considerations, I wouldn't think it a bad idea. Good luck.

~wm

Old February 3rd 04, 03:58 PM
JT

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 16:42:52 +0800, "MrJumbles"
wrote:

Are then any issues with using a laptop like a desktop system? I want to run
it 24/7 as a quieter and smaller alternative to a tower/monitor set up.....I
would use an external kb/mouse/tablet as well.. live in australia so
ambient temps as high as 30c..
are laptops up to this type of use..
any info or experience appreciated.
steven.

To a degree, it depends on the laptop. Good ones will handle the 24/7
operation, and they normally handle temperatures ok, but the one in the
desktop replacement class will have fans that can also be noisy when they
operate a full speed to cool down the system. They will be slower than
desktops, mostly due to slower hard drives (most laptop drives are 4200
rpm, with the "fast" ones being 5400, the same speed as the slowest desk
top drive). They will also be more expensive than a Quiet desktop.

I would look at one of the quieter small desktop model instead. Much
cheaper and likely faster than a laptop, and not much more space and the
same amount of noise.

JT
Old February 4th 04, 09:53 AM
MrJumbles

s.com...
wrote:

[...]

yep,thats good advice..thanks..

Old February 5th 04, 02:22 AM
zalzon

I've been thinking of the same. Some random (and maybe incorrect)
thoughts :

Get a video card with dual monitor out. That way you can hook the
laptop upto a bigger monitor. Maybe plug in a USB keyboard at the
back... and it works as a desktop. I don't know if this is practical
but I think it should work.

The downside of laptops is that you pay through your a$$ for something
you will be using mostly as a desktop. Do you really need the
portability?

It is nice to work a project on a laptop mind you. Very nice...
ahhh.... I wish i could have one.

How to run a Mobile Athlon in a desktop - and have a quiet system RickB Overclocking AMD Processors 2 December 17th 03 02:02 AM
Overheating Overclocking PSU System Temps Inifinite Loop Nick Le Lievre Overclocking AMD Processors 0 November 27th 03 07:10 PM
Can a hard disk shrink? Or did ****USA steal my HD? George L. Homebuilt PC's 93 October 20th 03 06:43 PM
laptop xedos Homebuilt PC's 1 July 12th 03 09:38 PM
laptop xedos Homebuilt PC's 0 July 12th 03 05:11 PM