XPS 4 any good?

Old May 21st 08, 06:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Default XPS 4 any good?

Got an XPS 4 in a corporate yard sale the other day, along with some lesser and
older systems. The XPS 4 is a big heavy honking beast, this one with a dual
monitor card. Opinions about it? Thanks... Ben Myers
Old May 21st 08, 08:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pen

Ben Myers wrote:
Got an XPS 4 in a corporate yard sale the other day, along with some lesser and
older systems. The XPS 4 is a big heavy honking beast, this one with a dual
monitor card. Opinions about it? Thanks... Ben Myers

Are you sure about the 4? Dell never has had an XPS with just that
number. Try to find the service tag on the machine label, go to Dell
support, enter the tag and get the full model number.
Old May 21st 08, 09:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christoper Muto

"Pen" wrote in message
. ..
Ben Myers wrote:
Got an XPS 4 in a corporate yard sale the other day, along with some
lesser and
older systems. The XPS 4 is a big heavy honking beast, this one with a
dual
monitor card. Opinions about it? Thanks... Ben Myers

Are you sure about the 4? Dell never has had an XPS with just that number.
Try to find the service tag on the machine label, go to Dell support,
enter the tag and get the full model number.

there was a "xps gen 4", but i have no opinion of it.

Old May 21st 08, 10:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pen

Christoper Muto wrote:
"Pen" wrote in message
. ..
Ben Myers wrote:
Got an XPS 4 in a corporate yard sale the other day, along with some
lesser and
older systems. The XPS 4 is a big heavy honking beast, this one with a
dual
monitor card. Opinions about it? Thanks... Ben Myers

Are you sure about the 4? Dell never has had an XPS with just that number.
Try to find the service tag on the machine label, go to Dell support,
enter the tag and get the full model number.

there was a "xps gen 4", but i have no opinion of it.

The Gen4 and also the XPS400 are both fairly recent, last 18 months or
so, and are unlikely to be thrown out.
Old May 21st 08, 11:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Got an XPS 4 in a corporate yard sale the other day, along with some
lesser and
older systems. The XPS 4 is a big heavy honking beast, this one with a
dual
monitor card. Opinions about it? Thanks... Ben Myers

Ben,

Have you run the service tag over at the support site to look at the
original configs/specs?

Is this it?
http://www.sweclockers.com/imagebank...l_xps_gen4.jpg

Essentially a gamer version/souped-up Precision Workstation. I wouldn't mind
having one:

http://compreviews.about.com/od/perf...ensionXPS4.htm

Stew

Old May 22nd 08, 12:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Yep. XPS Gen 4. Same photo of the big heavy honking beast I have.

I did pay some money for it. It was not free... Ben

On Wed, 21 May 2008 17:00:50 -0500, "S.Lewis" wrote:

.. .

Old May 22nd 08, 02:34 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Yep. XPS Gen 4. Same photo of the big heavy honking beast I have.

I did pay some money for it. It was not free... Ben

I've never owned one, but the only potential gripe I had with them was the
proprietary (dimensions of) the power supply.

I've bid on a couple before with no joy.

That is one big honking case.

Old May 22nd 08, 03:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Hi!
along with some lesser and older systems.

If you don't mind my asking, what kind of lesser and older systems?

Any Dimension 4600s in there?

William
Old May 22nd 08, 11:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Mostly 8300s, three 8400s, one 8200, four 8100s (3 RIP), a couple of others not
as notable... Ben Myers

Hi!

Old May 22nd 08, 11:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

It really does look like a Precision 370 motherboard stuffed into the honking
case. Nice graphics. Nothing else special except the look and feel of the
case. The look and feel is gamer and heavy... Ben Myers

On Wed, 21 May 2008 20:34:06 -0500, "S.Lewis" wrote:

.. .