Wireless adapter: need a new one

Old May 16th 08, 02:46 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Wireless adapter: need a new one

I picked up a Trendnet TEW-424UB usb wireless adapter for my parents'
computer. It has been pretty flaky. The first few days, it
frequently worked for only a few minutes, before needing to be
unplugged and then re-plugged in. Then I stopped using the little usb
extension cord that came with it (which was useful, because the
adapter is large enough to prevent the use of the slot next to it),
and plugged it directly into the usb slot. We didn't have any
problems for a week. Now the last few times we have turned on the
computer, it has not worked unless we unplug it and then replug it in
(and sometimes that doesn't even work). I am going to be returning
this piece of crap.

I see on Dell's web site that you can select a PCI 802.11g wireless
adapter when buying a computer. Anyone know what brand/model that
is? I will assume that if Dell is selling it, then it probably works
for most of their customers.
Old May 16th 08, 03:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

wrote in message
[...]

What model/number is the folks computer and what OS are they running.

If, for example, they're running WinMe then what you're seeing wouldn't
surprise me at all.

Old May 16th 08, 03:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On May 15, 10:55*pm, "S.Lewis" wrote:

[...]

Inspiron 530 w/ Intel E8200, 2 GB RAM. Vista Home Premium.
Old May 16th 08, 11:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_3_]

wrote in message

[...]

I would swap it for either a comparable Linksys or DLink USB adapter -or -
replace it with a wireless PCI (card) adapter from either of the latter.

Example:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...tCode=10005792

Stew

Old May 16th 08, 02:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Use a PCI wireless card if at all possible.

I've found that flaky behavior from USB wireless adapters is a usually
result of too much power consumption.

William
Old May 16th 08, 02:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

I second that motion, for exactly the same reason. The only advantage of a USB
wifi unit is that you can move it around on a USB extender cable to find the
strongest signal. I would think that the newest 802.11n (or draft-N) USB wifi
adapters would be the worst at power consumption... Ben Myers

Old May 16th 08, 05:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Hi!

I find the opposite because I can place the antenna higher.
The PCI cards have the antenna behind the system unit.

I wasn't going to bring that up, but since you mention it... :-)

I find that almost all of the current wireless cards/USB adapters on
the market are far too flaky and temperamental. They also don't
provide an always-on connection in many cases--if a user logs out of
the system, the connection goes down.

And the antenna behind the case can cause a problem if the signal is
not fairly strong. That was the final problem for me.

A very effective fix that I found was to buy a router that either
offered client bridge mode (this connects a wired computer to a
wireless network) or was flashable to DD-WRT firmware (which supports
client-bridge mode). Plug such a router into the Ethernet port of the
computer in question, configure it appropriately (give it the settings
for your wireless network and a free IP address) and there you go--
freedom to locate the antenna anywhere you like and a connection that
is always on. The only possible drawback is the fact that a router
will need a power outlet of its own.

William