XPS 4 any good?

Old May 23rd 08, 02:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default XPS 4 any good?

Hi!

Mostly 8300s, three 8400s, one 8200, four 8100s (3 RIP), a
couple of others not as notable... Ben Myers

I'm looking for a Dim8400 as a project. Is there any chance you might
sell (and ship) one of the units you'd have? Are they in decent shape?

I'm in the US (Illinois), and as far as I know, you are also in the
US.

William
Old May 23rd 08, 03:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

All the newer systems were in use at the company up to the time it downsized
rapidly, so they are in good operational, mechanical and physical condition. No
matter what, I run diagnostics (HDD, memory, and Live Linux as an overall test)
on any computer before selling it. The package would include the all the CDs
delivered by Dell except for Office SB XP. The 8400 CPUs are 3.4GHz. Hard
drive is SATA 160. 2GB main memory would be no problem. Not sure about the
optical drive, either CD-RW/DVD combo or DVD burner.

I've shipped computers safely before, so packing in the right carton is not a
problem. I'll look at the 8400s in my warehouse today, determine the graphics
cards, provide service tag info for them, think about a fair asking price and
estimated shipping cost via UPS, who tend to be 1000x better than USPS for
larger and heavier shipments... Ben

Old May 23rd 08, 04:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Hi!

Thanks for taking the time to look this up. I do appreciate it. Since
this would be a project machine, I wouldn't mind a minimal
configuration that I can build up later as I see fit.

If you'd like to e-mail me off the group, you should send mail to
wct atsign walshcomptech dot com. I lost the password to this
Hotmail account a long time ago, and they won't reset it, so now it is
a spam trap.

William
Old May 23rd 08, 11:21 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

FWIW, I successfully signed up for a gmail account about a month ago, prompted
to do so when my usual ISP began kicking back messages as spam when I sent them
to my 50 or so youth soccer BFFs. Gmail required no sponsorship by someone
else, and I was also able to set it up easily with my client email software. The
only problem now is that I have to remember to read both email accounts until
such time as I abandon my charter.net email entirely. You might say I am in a
trial relationship with gmail, and if it succeeds, I will divorce myself from
charter.net email, which now has other nagging nuisances, too... Ben Myers

On Fri, 23 May 2008 14:33:12 -0500, RnR wrote:

On Fri, 23 May 2008 08:26:40 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi!

Thanks for taking the time to look this up. I do appreciate it. Since
this would be a project machine, I wouldn't mind a minimal
configuration that I can build up later as I see fit.

If you'd like to e-mail me off the group, you should send mail to
wct atsign walshcomptech dot com. I lost the password to this
Hotmail account a long time ago, and they won't reset it, so now it is
a spam trap.

William

If that's the case, why not get another hotmail acct or get a gmail
account ? I don't know if you have to have an invitation to get a
gmail acct any more but if you do I'll give you an invite, if you want
to go that route.f

Old May 24th 08, 04:10 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR[_2_]

On Fri, 23 May 2008 18:21:56 -0400, Ben Myers
wrote:

FWIW, I successfully signed up for a gmail account about a month ago, prompted
to do so when my usual ISP began kicking back messages as spam when I sent them
to my 50 or so youth soccer BFFs. Gmail required no sponsorship by someone
else, and I was also able to set it up easily with my client email software. The
only problem now is that I have to remember to read both email accounts until
such time as I abandon my charter.net email entirely. You might say I am in a
trial relationship with gmail, and if it succeeds, I will divorce myself from
charter.net email, which now has other nagging nuisances, too... Ben Myers

Thanks Ben. I wasn't sure if it was by invitation any longer. I
have a couple of gmail accounts and one yahoo account and they seem
both to be okay. I'm not familiar with all the features they offer
because I have also a private (paid for) email provider that I use
more for its features. I think the OP might be better off getting a
new "free" email account with either Yahoo or Gmail and get a new
password to go with it to remember g.
Old May 24th 08, 04:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Hi!

If that's the case, why not get another hotmail acct or get a
gmail account ?

I have a usable e-mail account...the wct atsign walshcomptech dot
com that I mentioned above in my reply to Ben. That is the general
purpose public e-mail account. I have a few other accounts (one from
my ISP and another from Yahoo!) but those don't see public use and are
for special purposes only.

Although I don't mind Google as a company, I'm not really interested
in their Gmail service.

The biggest reason why I continue to use this account is (I guess)
laziness and the fact that I've held it for a long while. It's set up
and works just fine, so why throw it away? I don't want to sound
harsh, but if someone wants to e-mail me I will happily supply a valid
address, or it can figured out with a little looking.

William
Old May 24th 08, 04:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Hi!

Obama country g ????

(Keep in mind that it is absolutely NOT my intention to take this
discussion off into (uggh!) politics.)

Yep, it's *that* Illinois. :-)

William (not a fan of Obama...)