Wireless adapter: need a new one

Old May 16th 08, 06:19 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default Wireless adapter: need a new one

"Tom Scales" wrote:

I find the opposite because I can place the antenna higher. The PCI
cards have the antenna behind the system unit.

But cant you buy a PCI card that has external antenna
connection so that you could do same thing?
Old May 16th 08, 07:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Hi!

Do you have any specific advice on routers that do they
above? advice on brands/models to buy for laptop or
desktop use?

I have really, really been impressed with the Buffalo brand routers. I
like their design, but more importantly they are stable with both
stock and aftermarket firmware. I have personally used the WHR-G54S,
WHR-G125, WHR-HP-G54, and WLI-TX4-G54HP (which is a device that is
sold to do exclusively what I'm talking about--it does, however, cost
too much considering that it is the same general hardware as the WHR-
HP-G54...).

Sadly, Buffalo is under injunction and cannot sell their wireless
equipment in the US.

Linksys wireless gear and one of their wired routers were nothing but
a headache for me. Their other wired hardware has been better
(passable to excellent), so I don't know what is wrong there.

basically what you are advising is to 'separate" the
wireless components form the computer itself, right?

I have had a lot better luck with this setup for desktop computers
that need to be wireless than I have with wireless cards and USB
adapters. So that is what I'd recommend.

William
Old May 16th 08, 07:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Hi!

But cant you buy a PCI card that has external antenna
connection so that you could do same thing?

Absolutely. I've never seen a PCI wireless card that did not have a
detachable antenna. The most common antenna connector style is known
as an RP-SMA connector. (Linksys uses a different connector on their
routers at least...)

William
Old May 17th 08, 03:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Conversation: Wireless adapter: need a new one
Subject: Wireless adapter: need a new one

"Tom Scales" wrote in message

Old May 17th 08, 07:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Or buy the small parts and make your own cantenna out of an old tomato juice can
like the war-driving folk did back in the 802.11b day.

Larger and/or directional antennae that attach to a PCI card are now fairly
common and not horrifically expensive any more... Ben Myers

Posted At: Friday, May 16, 2008 12:20 PM

"Tom Scales" wrote:

I find the opposite because I can place the antenna higher. The PCI
cards have the antenna behind the system unit.

But cant you buy a PCI card that has external antenna
connection so that you could do same thing?

Yes, but then you have to buy the antenna too.