Compaq Laptop - delete System Save Partition?

Old October 6th 03, 04:11 AM
JCH

Default Compaq Laptop - delete System Save Partition?

I have a Compaq 1800XL1 with two partitions; Local Disk (C and System Save
(D. The D: partition takes up about 2.3G of HD space. Can I safely delete
the D: partition and thus free up more HD space?

Old October 6th 03, 04:45 AM
HH

No such animal as an 1800XL1. 1800XL180? XL181? XL190? Anyway, leave it if
you want to use the Recovery CD to do a full Restore.
HH

.. .

Old October 6th 03, 05:18 AM
jch

I have a Presario 1800XL1. Why do you say there isn't such an animal?
Anyway, I've never had the need to do a system restore. The laptop
originally came with Windows 95 which I upgraded to ME. I'd rather make good
use of the extra HD space. Will I be shooting myself in the foot by deleting
this partition?

"HH" wrote in message
news
No such animal as an 1800XL1. 1800XL180? XL181? XL190? Anyway, leave it if
you want to use the Recovery CD to do a full Restore.
HH

.. .

Old October 6th 03, 05:31 AM
HH

Aha! I see it. It's an 1800T-XL1. I listed all the North American 1800XL,
not the 1800T-XL series models produced by Compaq. Anyway, if you have no
need to ever do a restore, and you do not need the Compaq driver folders, go
ahead.
HH

"jch" wrote in message
.. .
I have a Presario 1800XL1. Why do you say there isn't such an animal?
Anyway, I've never had the need to do a system restore. The laptop
originally came with Windows 95 which I upgraded to ME. I'd rather make

good
use of the extra HD space. Will I be shooting myself in the foot by

deleting
this partition?

"HH" wrote in message
news
No such animal as an 1800XL1. 1800XL180? XL181? XL190? Anyway, leave it

if
you want to use the Recovery CD to do a full Restore.
HH

.. .

Old October 6th 03, 05:23 PM
Rackie

There most certainly is a 1800XL1. I've had one for 3.5 years now.
Get your facts straight.

Yes, you can delete that partition. I repartitioned my hd into 5
partitions. I've never had to use the restore disk(have heard that
many time they do not work and that don't surprise me) but most likely
it will repartition to the factory settings.

"HH" wrote:

No such animal as an 1800XL1. 1800XL180? XL181? XL190? Anyway, leave it if
you want to use the Recovery CD to do a full Restore.
HH

. ..

Old October 6th 03, 05:53 PM
HH

I beg to differ. There is an 1800T-XL1, a CTO (configure to order), but no
1800XL1.In fact there are 4 models of 1800T-XL1, the 450, 500, 600 and 650.
Also there are also other models of 1800T-XLs, the XL2 and XL4. I make every
effort to get my facts straight. I suggest you do the same before
criticizing others.
HH

"HH" wrote:

No such animal as an 1800XL1. 1800XL180? XL181? XL190? Anyway, leave it

if
you want to use the Recovery CD to do a full Restore.
HH

. ..

Old October 7th 03, 12:10 AM
Tom Scales

I'd be absolutely shocked if HH was wrong. He's an ex-Compaq tech and BY FAR
the most useful and helpful person on this newsgroup.

Tom

"HH" wrote:

No such animal as an 1800XL1. 1800XL180? XL181? XL190? Anyway, leave it

if
you want to use the Recovery CD to do a full Restore.
HH

. ..

Old October 7th 03, 04:43 AM
jch

Useful or not, he's *wrong* about the 1800XL1. I have had this laptop for 3
or 4 years now and I should know what I own. The laptop plainly says
1800-XL1 on the model/serial number tag. This is ridiculous. Perhaps you'd
like to argue next about what model car I own

"HH" wrote:

No such animal as an 1800XL1. 1800XL180? XL181? XL190? Anyway, leave

it
if
you want to use the Recovery CD to do a full Restore.
HH

. ..

Old October 7th 03, 05:57 AM
DEJ57

I'd be absolutely shocked if HH was wrong. He's an ex-Compaq tech and BY FAR
the most useful and helpful person on this newsgroup.

HH makes the youthful mistake sometimes of unquestioned belief in what
something says on a printed page somewhere, and then arrogantly slapping down
folks with it.
As with "always" and "never", these beliefs get you into trouble and error more
times than not. And doesn't help make new friends...

Also, I had a Compaq tech one insist I had slots in my PC that I did not, so
some certainly do make mistakes, so, while HH is very helpful, he's not the
Pope sharing infallible direction.

Currently he is one of the most helpful, but that's relative, as he is a rather
recent participant, and many before him have been as, if not more, helpful,
over the past six years or so, and without the attitude...

Dale
Old October 7th 03, 04:57 PM
Rackie

You can beg to differ all you want. I have an 1800XL1 and so do some
other users in the newsgroup. You need to get your facts straight
before you go spouting all your so called expertise.

"HH" wrote:

I beg to differ. There is an 1800T-XL1, a CTO (configure to order), but no
1800XL1.In fact there are 4 models of 1800T-XL1, the 450, 500, 600 and 650.
Also there are also other models of 1800T-XLs, the XL2 and XL4. I make every
effort to get my facts straight. I suggest you do the same before
criticizing others.
HH

.. .

"HH" wrote:

No such animal as an 1800XL1. 1800XL180? XL181? XL190? Anyway, leave it

if
you want to use the Recovery CD to do a full Restore.
HH

. ..