Windows 7 Memory Question

Old December 21st 10, 01:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche[_2_]

Default Windows 7 Memory Question

A relative of mine needs a new tower PC and some other relatives are
chipping in to buy her a low priced one. We found
an E Machine. It comes with Windows 7. I'm on XP and know nothing of
anything beyond Windows 7. I know my Dell is rock solid.

It comes with an AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz processor and 2GB of RAM.

Will my relative get decent performance from this kind of machine? All she
does is surf the net, pay bills, and do email, and maybe watch video on
netflix. Her son does gaming on his x-box along with netflix.

This PC tower is going for around $295 at Wal Mart.

Thanks

Old December 21st 10, 02:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 12/20/2010 7:59 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
A relative of mine needs a new tower PC and some other relatives are
chipping in to buy her a low priced one. We found
an E Machine. It comes with Windows 7. I'm on XP and know nothing of
anything beyond Windows 7. I know my Dell is rock solid.

It comes with an AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz processor and 2GB of RAM.

Will my relative get decent performance from this kind of machine? All she
does is surf the net, pay bills, and do email, and maybe watch video on
netflix. Her son does gaming on his x-box along with netflix.

This PC tower is going for around $295 at Wal Mart.

Thanks

From the usage I have had so far, 2GB should be fine for normal
run-of-the-mill use as you described. Only the Netflix video may tax
the memory. Not sure. I do not use Netflix.

I am less than thrilled with eMachines, which often use a crappy power
supply (same as HP Pavilions and Compaq Presarios). When the power
supply goes, it takes the motherboard with it, because it does not have
protective circuitry built in. The world is littered with dead
eMachines systems. I have tossed out a number of perfectly good
eMachines cases, after stripping the boards for the local electronic
recycler. A shame, too. The cases are generally well made out of
sturdy sheet metal without sharp edges to slice you up... Ben Myers
Old December 21st 10, 02:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

On Dec 20, 5:59*pm, "Von Fourche"
wrote:
* A relative of mine needs a new tower PC and some other relatives are
chipping in to buy her a low priced one. *We found
an E Machine. *It comes with Windows 7. *I'm on XP and know nothing of
anything beyond Windows 7. *I know my Dell is rock solid.

*It comes with an AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz processor and 2GB of RAM.

*Will my relative get decent performance from this kind of machine? *All she
does is surf the net, pay bills, and do email, and maybe watch video on
netflix. *Her son does gaming on his x-box along with netflix.

This PC tower is going for around $295 at Wal Mart.

Thanks

Also google "emachines reviews". Larry
Old December 21st 10, 07:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 12/20/2010 7:59 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
A relative of mine needs a new tower PC and some other relatives are
chipping in to buy her a low priced one. We found
an E Machine. It comes with Windows 7. I'm on XP and know nothing of
anything beyond Windows 7. I know my Dell is rock solid.

It comes with an AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz processor and 2GB of RAM.

Will my relative get decent performance from this kind of machine? All she
does is surf the net, pay bills, and do email, and maybe watch video on
netflix. Her son does gaming on his x-box along with netflix.

This PC tower is going for around $295 at Wal Mart.

Thanks

$298 walmart emachines EL1352G-01w with amd sempron 145 (passmark 916),
2gb (1gb in each of two available slots), 500gb 7200rpm sata, 16x dvdrw,
geforce 6150se graphics (g3dmark 53), media card reader, gigabit
ethernet, windows 7 home premium 64, 1 year warranty (unclear if it is
on site).
http://www.walmart.com/ip/eMachines-...G-01w/15062989

$349 dell inspiron 570 (shipped free) with amd anthlon x2 240 (passmark
1591), 3gb (1gb in three of four available slots), 500gb 7200rpm sata,
16x dvdrw, ati hd4200 graphics (g3dmark 147)), media card reader,
gigabit ethernet, windows 7 home premium 64, 1 year on site warranty
http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-57...d=inspiron-570

the $350 dell is their lowest cost machine and it is a good entry level
configuration. but there is no mistaking that $350 is both $50 and 16%
more than $300. what it buys you is a 50% faster processor, a 300%
faster video card, and little more memory which helps the overall
experience with windows 7. all said it gets you a machine that will
potentially have a longer life cycle since it is faster to begin with
and because it is more upgradable. it can support some amd quad core
processors and has 4 memory sockets instead of the emachines 2 and one
is available/empty (with the emachines you would have to remove a memory
module before you had an available socket to add a larger capacity
module). it is also pretty easy to dismiss the quality of the emachines
based on their history but that would not be my biggest concern. but -
you can probably walk into the walmart and walk out with the emachines
the same day where-as if will take a week to ten days to for the dell to
arrive. ordered on just like this on 12/11, was told it would be
delivered by friday 12/17, and it arrive on monday 12/20.
fwiw, often staples has excellent deals on low cost hp machines, but not
always. and individual staples have unadvertised close out deals and
floor model deals that are some of the best values arround for low cost
system. good luck.

Old December 21st 10, 07:24 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche[_2_]

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
On 12/20/2010 7:59 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
A relative of mine needs a new tower PC and some other relatives are
chipping in to buy her a low priced one. We found

I am less than thrilled with eMachines, which often use a crappy power
supply (same as HP Pavilions and Compaq Presarios). When the power supply
goes, it takes the motherboard with it, because it does not have
protective circuitry built in. The world is littered with dead eMachines
systems. I have tossed out a number of perfectly good eMachines cases,
after stripping the boards for the local electronic recycler. A shame,
too. The cases are generally well made out of sturdy sheet metal without
sharp edges to slice you up... Ben Myers

She currently has an old Dell with XP on it. Whenever it screws up I do a
complete factory restore and it seems to run
ok for a few days but then screws up again. I wonder if it has too little
ram. I will do a factory restore and a week later they can't use Explorer
to search the net. They have to use Chrome. Then the router which is
hooked up to the computer and xbox screws up - only one is able to be used
at a time. Either the computer can be plugged in and online or the xbox can
be plugged in and online. There are ports for both the computer and xbox,
it's a Linksys. But for some reason only one can be used.

Old December 21st 10, 07:28 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 12/21/2010 1:17 AM, Christopher Muto wrote:
[...]

to answer your question directly... will you get decent performance?
you will get about the performance of a 3-4 year old mid range computer.
netflix may be a problem for it was netflix can be processor and
graphics card intensive. the emachines does have an expansion slot to
install a dedicated video card if desired (and that could be one with an
hdmi port to plug direct into a modern lcd or plasma tv). but i think
the additional $50 for the dell buys a much better machine.

the 6150se video in the emachines only supports directx9 whereas the
hd2400 in the dell support directx 10.1. here's a nice comparison of
what directx 10 can do vs 9...
http://gizmodo.com/243099/directx-9-...g-to-vista-for

Old December 21st 10, 07:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 12/21/2010 1:28 AM, Christopher Muto wrote:
[...]

fianlly, you could get the dell inspiron 570 in a $299 configuration
(and free 5-7 day shipping, not 2 day like the $349 configuration). the
$299 configuration has the same sampron processor as the emachines, the
same 2gb, but just a 320gb drive instead of 500gb. it does have the
same much better video card as the $349 dell and it has the 4 memory
sockets (only two filled), and processor socket capable of support up to
pehnom x4 processors. despite the wait for delivery i think this is
definitely a better value than the emachines.

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...d=inspiron-570

Old December 21st 10, 10:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche[_2_]

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
t...
[...]

How bad is the Sempron compared to the athlon? I've not dealt with those
cheaper processors before. Whenever I get a computer I make sure it has a
good processor.

Old December 21st 10, 10:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

On 12/21/2010 4:14 PM, Von Fourche wrote:
"Christopher wrote in message
t...
[...]

as previously stated, the anthlon is 50% fater than the sempron in these
particluar machines. plus the video card is 300% faster in the $350
machine. the slow machine will work, but it doesn't offer the as much
potential in a long usable life.

what machine are you used to using? what model and processor? in order
for any comparison to be meaningful you must have a reference.

Old December 21st 10, 10:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Von Fourche[_2_]

[...]

Heck, I don't know anymore. It's a Dell. It's rock solid and does for
me. I don't play games on it though.
I'm looking at the Device Manager and see Intel Pentium 4 3.000Ghz.
Manufacture date tag on my computer is
12/2005. Wow. I had no idea my computer is five years old.