Soyo mobo doesn't shut off, but reboots after "shut off" command.

Old March 4th 10, 09:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Petrus Tax

Default Soyo mobo doesn't shut off, but reboots after "shut off" command.

Hello,

I got an older Soyo mobo (SY-7IWM/L) which I installed in an old computer
whose mobo had broken down. It works fine in Win 2000, except that after the
"shut off" command the computer doesn't power down (as it should), but boots
up again. I think that everything is set correctly in "Power Management" and
in the Award BIOS, so that I don't understand that the computer doesn't do
what it should do.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Petrus

(This would otherwise still be a nice computer for a beginner or student,
mostly interested in word processing; I would hate to discard it.)

Old March 4th 10, 10:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jan Alter

--
"Petrus Tax" wrote in message
Hello,

I got an older Soyo mobo (SY-7IWM/L) which I installed in an old computer
whose mobo had broken down. It works fine in Win 2000, except that after
the "shut off" command the computer doesn't power down (as it should), but
boots up again. I think that everything is set correctly in "Power
Management" and in the Award BIOS, so that I don't understand that the
computer doesn't do what it should do.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Petrus

(This would otherwise still be a nice computer for a beginner or student,
mostly interested in word processing; I would hate to discard it.)

I've had this exact scenerio happen to me years ago. This happened on a mb
about ten years ago. A setting needed to be changed in the bios to not wake
the network card. I cannot remember the terminology. AWOL, or not to wake
the lan, something like that. Once I changed that setting the computer shut
down and did not attempt to reboot.

Jan Alter

Old March 5th 10, 01:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Petrus Tax

Thank you so much, Jan, for your quick response! And you were right on! The
"Power On by Ring" item on the first Award BIOS screen was set to "enabled".
The change to "disabled" did the trick. Great memory for a retired person
also. (I have been retired myself since 1993, and remember you mentioning on
"printers" your retirement from a school system a couple of years ago.)

The (or a) previous owner of the board must have done the BIOS reset, but
how can a later owner know or even guess such a little change for the
better?!

Gratefully,

Petrus

Old March 5th 10, 01:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Jan Alter wrote:

"Petrus Tax" wrote in message ...
[...]

In Windows, if you use Device Manager, and look at the properties of the LAN
interface, there are some properties there that affect waking.

The "Power Management" tab for the network interface, has a tick box -

"Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby"

If that is disabled, then the LAN chip should not be able to wake
the computer.

Under the "Advanced" tab, I have an item in the "Property" list labeled
"Wake Up Capabilities". One of the options there is "Link Change", and
selecting Link Change could cause the computer to wake up immediately
after you end a Windows session.

Another way to exert control, is at the BIOS level. If you want to try
to prevent any PCI device from waking the computer, look in the BIOS.
In the manual here, "3-1 SOYO COMBO SETUP" on PDF page 53, I can
see an option to try.

http://web.archive.org/web/200412170...7iwmlv1012.PDF

"Wake-Up by PCI card" [Disabled]

That controls the response to the PME signal on each PCI slot. PME
stands for Power Management Event, and if the LAN chip is set to
Wake On LAN via usage of a Magic Packet, the LAN chip asserts PME
on the PCI slot pins. And that wakes the computer. If the BIOS
setting is set to [Disabled], then the LAN card should no longer
be able to wake the computer.

Some computers also have a setting in the BIOS, which is intended to
start the computer after a power failure. I don't know if
that would cause the symptoms or not. That setting might be
in the same BIOS page as the "Wake-Up" one.

Paul
Old March 5th 10, 01:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Petrus Tax

Thank you, Paul, for your, as always, detailed and informative response! It
was sent at the same time as my thanks to Jan Alter, whose advice on the
BIOS was right on and enabled me to repair the defect. But I learned from
you that there were more possibilities of repair. I will save your
suggestions also as a methodology of multiple approaches. Thanks again.

Petrus

Old March 5th 10, 02:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jan Alter

--
Jan Alter

m...

"Paul" wrote in message
Jan Alter wrote:

"Petrus Tax" wrote in message
[...]

I too thought there was only one way to skin a cat with the situation you
referred. And like yourself appreciate and enjoy reading Paul's detailed and
elucidating responses to questions.
Interesting that you should remember I retired almost two years ago.
Still miss working with the machines and kids, but very glad to be out of
harm's way of the big city bureacracy that put too much value on the wrong
values.
--
Jan Alter