"12C return" failed message

Old November 13th 06, 02:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
mwebsurfer

Default "12C return" failed message

I'm having reboot and freeze problems with my home built PC. It
happens when running Google Earth.I have a ABIT X700 PCIE video
card on a ASUS P5GD1 MB running XP PRO. The system event viewer
gives this message "12C return failed". Can anyone help me? What
does this message mean and could my video card be bad? I updated
to the latest driver and turned off hardware acceleration and
neither helped. Any hellp or suggestions will be appreciated.
Old November 13th 06, 03:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

mwebsurfer wrote:
I'm having reboot and freeze problems with my home built PC. It
happens when running Google Earth.I have a ABIT X700 PCIE video
card on a ASUS P5GD1 MB running XP PRO. The system event viewer
gives this message "12C return failed". Can anyone help me? What
does this message mean and could my video card be bad? I updated
to the latest driver and turned off hardware acceleration and
neither helped. Any hellp or suggestions will be appreciated.

I2C is the name of a serial bus protocol. The bus is licensed
by Philips, and used by hundreds of other manufacturers.

http://www.nxp.com/products/interface_control/i2c/

The SPD chip on your memory DIMMs (SPD holds the recommended
memory timing settings) are queried via a bus like that. Your LCD
monitor or CRT, can talk via a serial bus in the VGA cable (EDID).
But without more content in the error message, such as a driver
name or some other identifying info, it will be hard to guess
at what is busted.

Since you were using Google Earth, that would involve the video
card. Have you run other 3D applications beside Google Earth ?
Do you have any 3D games ? Have you ever run one of the
versions of 3DMark ? Programs like that can be used to test
the video card, and put it under some stress. Do any other 3D
applications crash or cause reboots ?

What size power supply is in the computer ? What is the power
supply brand name and model number ? Providing a more complete
hardware inventory might suggest something. Also, looking in
the BIOS, at the hardware monitor (temp readings, voltage
readings) or via Asus Probe, while your test programs
are running, might give you more feedback about system
health. It could be an out of spec voltage, or something
overheating etc.

Also, you should disable automatic reboots, so you can get
a nice BSOD screen. Then, you can write down the crash info
from the BSOD screen. Maybe you'll get the name of a software
driver from that. Chances are, it might be the name of the
video card driver.

Paul

Old November 13th 06, 04:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
mwebsurfer

Paul wrote:
mwebsurfer wrote:

[...]

Paul: I also had problems with FS2004.Occasional Netscape, Nero, Acroread.

Power supply is Antec 380 watt

Also, I got error messages
source: ATI2MAG
Cat. GCO
EV 44
Old November 13th 06, 05:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

mwebsurfer wrote:

Paul: I also had problems with FS2004.Occasional Netscape, Nero, Acroread.

Power supply is Antec 380 watt

Also, I got error messages
source: ATI2MAG
Cat. GCO
EV 44

The "ATI" bit tells you it is the video card.

This page reminds me, that sometimes a driver change
can help. If this is a particular driver version problem,
an older driver might fix it. If the symptoms remain,
then it could be a hardware problem, with the
video card.

http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?p=985911

Paul
Old November 14th 06, 02:30 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
mwebsurfer

JAD wrote:
try turning off smart gart

"mwebsurfer" wrote in message

I'm having reboot and freeze problems with my home built PC. It
happens when running Google Earth.I have a ABIT X700 PCIE video
card on a ASUS P5GD1 MB running XP PRO. The system event viewer
gives this message "12C return failed". Can anyone help me? What
does this message mean and could my video card be bad? I updated
to the latest driver and turned off hardware acceleration and
neither helped. Any hellp or suggestions will be appreciated.

JAD: Turned off smartgart and made adjustments to opengl and dirx.
Ran Google earth for over 40 min. with no problems. Thanks I think.
Gerry