The Terabyte Hard Drive is Here (1 Terabyte=1,000 GB; What's the Limit? Terabytes, Petabytes, Exabytes?)

Old November 6th 05, 11:58 AM

Default The Terabyte Hard Drive is Here (1 Terabyte=1,000 GB; What's the Limit? Terabytes, Petabytes, Exabytes?)

Well, the Terabyte Hard Drive is no longer imaginary (1 Terabyte =
1,000 Gigabytes):

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10188

I'm sure others will follow from other manufacturers, if they haven't
already.

"The most powerful Hi-Speed USB 2.0 hard drive in a portable 5.25
[inch] 1U form factor, the LaCie Big Disk is designed for low-cost
storage expansion and is ideal for backing up several workstations with
enormous capacities up to 1TB. With USB universal connectivity and no
software to configure, this plug & play drive delivers high performance
with maximum convenience."

Reasonably priced, but will it prove reliable? Time will tell. (I
really have to wonder if the "smart fan" system will provide adequate
heat dissipation.)

I wonder when we will hit the quantum limit of data storage?

[Kilobytes]
[Megabytes]
[Gigabytes]
Terabytes? (1.0E+12 bytes)
Petabytes? (1.0E+15 bytes)
Exabytes? (1.0E+18 bytes)
Zettabytes? (1.0E+21 bytes)
Yottabytes? (1.0E+24 bytes)

[milliseconds]
[microseconds]
nanoseconds? (1.0E-09 seconds)
picoseconds? (1.0E-12 seconds)
femtoseconds? (1.0E-15 seconds)
attoseconds? (1.0E-18 seconds)
zeptoseconds? (1.0E-21 seconds)
yoctoseconds? (1.0E-24 seconds)

http://www.bipm.fr/en/si/prefixes.html

Of peripheral interest:

The International Bureau of Weights and Measures ("Le Bureau
international des poids et mesures" (BIPM) ):

http://www.bipm.fr/

English version:

http://www.bipm.fr/en/home/

It's nice to know that the kilogram, the metre, and the second have
such a nice home:

http://www.bipm.fr/en/bipm/site/aerial_view.html

Though the "Petit Pavillon" doesn't look particularly "petit" to me!

http://www.bipm.fr/en/bipm/site/petit_pavillon.html

--
Brett
http://www.freewarefriend.com/

Old November 6th 05, 12:43 PM
J. Clarke

wrote:

Well, the Terabyte Hard Drive is no longer imaginary (1 Terabyte =
1,000 Gigabytes):

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10188

Lacie lies. The Lacie "big disk" is not a 1 terabyte disk. It is a box
with 2 500 gig disks in it.

Lacie does not now and has not ever manufactured disks, they buy disks from
somebody else, stick them in a box with a Lacie label on it, mislead the
marks about the contents (you have to read the fine print under the fine
print to find out that there are two disks in that box, so technically they
aren't lying) and make money off of suckers.

I'm sure others will follow from other manufacturers, if they haven't
already.

Nope. Some manufacturer will eventually produce the _first_ terabyte disk,
but not for a while.

Lacie sales pitch snipped

I wonder when we will hit the quantum limit of data storage?

When they do of course.

bunch of stuff that seems to have little relevance snipped
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Old November 6th 05, 01:06 PM
Odie Ferrous

wrote:

Well, the Terabyte Hard Drive is no longer imaginary (1 Terabyte =
1,000 Gigabytes):

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10188

I'm sure others will follow from other manufacturers, if they haven't
already.

What on earth is new about this?

All they've done is stick 2 x 500GB drives in an enclosure that is bound
to have inadequate cooling - despite their claim to the contrary.

Grief, I've been using an external 2TB firewire drive for a couple of
months.

Only difference is mine will outlast the LaCie.

Odie
--
Retrodata
www.retrodata.co.uk
Old November 6th 05, 07:28 PM
Arno Wagner

Previously wrote:
Well, the Terabyte Hard Drive is no longer imaginary (1 Terabyte =
1,000 Gigabytes):

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10188

You should not believe everything you read on the Internet.

Arno
Old November 6th 05, 11:28 PM
Lady Margaret Thatcher

Default What OS for a separate file server box? was The Terabyte Hard Drive i

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 12:06:11 +0000, Odie Ferrous
wrote:

All they've done is stick 2 x 500GB drives in an enclosure that is bound
to have inadequate cooling - despite their claim to the contrary.

Grief, I've been using an external 2TB firewire drive for a couple of
months.

Only difference is mine will outlast the LaCie.

No doubt!! Homebuilt?

Say I wanted to build a file server for my home LAN. A sort of "set
it and forget it" type affair. What OS? Linux? Windows? 2003
Storage Server?

Thatcher
Old November 6th 05, 11:41 PM
Rod Speed

Lady Margaret Thatcher wrote
Odie Ferrous wrote

All they've done is stick 2 x 500GB drives in an enclosure that is
bound to have inadequate cooling - despite their claim to the contrary.

Grief, I've been using an external 2TB
firewire drive for a couple of months.

Only difference is mine will outlast the LaCie.

No doubt!! Homebuilt?

Say I wanted to build a file server for my home LAN.
A sort of "set it and forget it" type affair. What OS?
Linux? Windows? 2003 Storage Server?

XP or 2003 SS are both fine.

Not worth bothering with anything else if you dont run it anyway.

Old November 7th 05, 12:54 AM
Impmon

On Sun, 06 Nov 2005 14:28:40 -0800, Lady Margaret Thatcher
wrote:

Say I wanted to build a file server for my home LAN. A sort of "set
it and forget it" type affair. What OS? Linux? Windows? 2003
Storage Server?

I'd go with Linux. Once you figure out how to use Linux, you can
simply set it and forget. Not bloated like Windows (and free to
boot!) plus Linux is generally not prone to software problems and
viruses.
Old November 7th 05, 01:40 AM
Mike Redrobe

Arno Wagner wrote:
Previously wrote:
Well, the Terabyte Hard Drive is no longer imaginary (1 Terabyte =
1,000 Gigabytes):

http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?pid=10188

You should not believe everything you read on the Internet.

It's 2x 500gb drives configured as usb raid 0, better than the
previous "1TB lacie bigger disk", which was 4x 250gb drives
as usb raid 0 (frightening).

--
Mike

Old November 7th 05, 01:49 AM
Mike Redrobe

wrote:

Say I wanted to build a file server for my home LAN. A sort of "set
it and forget it" type affair. What OS? Linux? Windows? 2003
Storage Server?

I'd go with Linux. Once you figure out how to use Linux, you can
simply set it and forget.

Commodity devices run linux, for the same reason:
users don't need to know /what/ it runs since it /just works/.

Most users and companies like to have an OS that they are
already comfortable with, and is similar to their desktop OS -
this is where microsoft wins.

--
Mike

Hard Drive Temperature Nehmo General 36 October 27th 05 12:35 AM
Norton Ghost - Clone Won't Work jimbo Homebuilt PC's 70 November 15th 04 02:56 AM
two hd's on same IDE channel Steve James General 25 March 13th 04 01:06 AM
SOLUTION! IBM Hard Drive only recognized as 33GB hard drive, but is more >>>82.3GB Andy Storage (alternative) 9 November 18th 03 12:20 AM
FDISK, HDD #s, don't know how to install two HDDs. sunslight Storage (alternative) 14 October 29th 03 08:56 PM