Duron overclock and temps

Old September 9th 05, 06:02 AM
Big Sky

Default Duron overclock and temps

I have my Duron 1.8GHz over clocked to 1.9GHz. After running a bunch of
..mpg files while defragging the HD and other operations, the CPU was up to
48 degrees C with a case temp of 37 degrees C. Could anyone comment if this
is a typical CPU temp? Is the difference btwn case and CPU temps unusual
(its bigger than with my other computers)? I currently am using one of
those CPU shims to keep the HSF from damaging the CPU but am wondering
whether I'm getting good contact btwn the CPU and HSF. Yes I am using
heatsink compound. I have one medium speed 80mm case fan in the front of
the case and the PS has 2 built in 80mm case fans. The case in a smaller
mid size tower (won't take full size MBs).

Thanks.

BigSky

Old September 9th 05, 09:43 PM
uddarts

"" wrote:
[...]

i would think 48 would be considered well within reason. it will run
forever at that temp. think about all those compac and emachines with
4lbs of dust in them running right now.

what board, memory and hs/fan are you using? i picked up a 1800 for
$30 after rebate a few months ago and put it in dfi lanparty. did
13.5x166 without breaking a sweat.

ud

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/AMD-Th...pict61815.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=311840
Old September 11th 05, 12:22 AM
Big Sky

UD,

I'm running the Duron on a Shuttle MK40VN. I didn't have much luck going
over 140MHz on the FSB. After downloading some hardware snooping programs,
it looks like one of my DDRs is a 2100 vice a 2700. That's part of the
problem. Then I noticed that the RAM speed is either slaved to the FSB or
you can add +33 or +66. So theirs issue number 2. Also, I read that only
certain series of the Durons will run with a 166 FSB. I'm going to pull the
slower DDR (it says its a DDR266 go figure) and try to hit 166 again.

--
Posted using the http://www.hardwareforumz.com interface, at author's

request

Old September 16th 05, 12:03 PM
Herman Tibbs

Big Sky wrote:
I have my Duron 1.8GHz over clocked to 1.9GHz. After running a bunch of
.mpg files while defragging the HD and other operations, the CPU was up to
48 degrees C with a case temp of 37 degrees C. Could anyone comment if this
is a typical CPU temp? Is the difference btwn case and CPU temps unusual
(its bigger than with my other computers)? I currently am using one of
those CPU shims to keep the HSF from damaging the CPU but am wondering
whether I'm getting good contact btwn the CPU and HSF. Yes I am using
heatsink compound. I have one medium speed 80mm case fan in the front of
the case and the PS has 2 built in 80mm case fans. The case in a smaller
mid size tower (won't take full size MBs).

Thanks.

BigSky

I used to run a Duron 1200 and for a low dollar CPU, it was one of the
hottest I had ever ran. It stayed around 112-116F all the time and that
was with a Vantac copper core cooler with a fan running at 6800RPM.

I changed to an Athlon XP24000+. The performance picked up but the
temperature was still there. When I changed to a Gigabyte K8NSPRO board
and Athlon 64 CPU, the temperature came down 20-25 degrees using the
STOCK COOLER.

Best bet is not to OC but to go to a higher end CPU. To OC effectively
means spending out some $$ for at least water cooling to get the best
results or if you want to go nuts with it, cryogenic cooling.

Hope this helps.