Lucky mixer-upper DAC, EF95 Preamp Day

Old February 13th 18, 06:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Lucky mixer-upper DAC, EF95 Preamp Day

Got a DAC unit awhile ago. Digital to Analogue conversion of a
red-laser SPDIF signal carrier, computer generated, to Analog L/R
outputs. USB Powered.

Also got a Buffer PreAmp unit, signal-modified by these tubes:
3.2 Amperex 5654
3.3 Chinese 6J1
3.4 Collins 6AK5
3.5 GE 5654
3.6 GE 5Star 5654 (Gray plate)
3.7 GE JAN5654W
3.8 Mullard M8100 / CV4010
3.9 RCA 5654
3.10 Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV
3.11 Sylvania 5654
3.12 Sylvania Gold Brand 5654
3.13 Tung-Sol 6AK5
3.14 Western Electric 403B
3.15 Westinghouse 5654

Two things I did:
- Ordered the GE 5654 JANS*.
- Ordered a USB PS Unit, common for recharging smartphones.

Not much. The GE NOS is American, one of the remaining market edges
for tubes, generally, is where they're either not attempting a killing
or, the last alternative, at similarly priced 6J1 imported, that
latter which are basically crap (from the "golden ears" perspective).
Non-matched, non-boutique, bulk quantity at 10 tubes. Good for the
ears, I suppose, for a hybrid-driven SS mono blocks;- the preamp
actually drastically changes the sound.

Second, the USB PS. Horrible, the DAC, meaning as cheaply as possible
to import a DAC, i.e. to power subsequently off a computer USB bus: a
veritable termite mound of latent clips and pops. (Dedicated
audiophile production DAC units are crazily high-priced.) I'd
disconnected it from the mixer loop;- a vintage DBX expander for
low-level signal boosting, to perfectly clear, in no place for busy
termites.

The wallmart PS now operates the DAC as quietly as a nary a mouse fart
at a Sunday morning church gathering. And I've got another signal
path, for a reference signal, back up and running the mixer Fx signal
loop;- nicely to augment the other two loops, also computer-fed,
dedicated to two external processing units.

Ergo, I'm cool now. A day I haven't hunted down any limits,
especially those with glaring adverse artifacts, being such a cool
day. The edge of technology's cup is bloody brimming over. . .tube
characteristics and harmonics for nickels and dimes. Check it out if
you haven't. Chinese vacuum buffer units that have people with $1000
integrated tube units doing double-takes.

* 3.7 GE JAN5654W
Their sound doesn't’disappoint either with incredibly good treble
extension, clarity and quietness that reminds me of the GE 5 Star
tubes reviewed above. Its upfront sound is in keeping with the GE
family sound, violins sounded desperately beautiful with these tubes.
In the bass department, PRAT and OOMPH are the first adjectives that
come to mind. Compared to the Mullard M8100, these tubes are airier
and their bass not as soupy. These tubes also have exceptionally
clean vocal and lends itself well to modern jazz recordings such as
Eva Cassidy’s “Live at Blues Valley” where the reverb of the room is
clearly audible.