[OT] Dual DVI Card

Old December 26th 03, 11:34 PM
RL

Default [OT] Dual DVI Card

I post here because there seems to be a higher quality user. I need advice
or recommendations on a good dual dvi video card. 2d/text quality and
symmetry is most important.

tia

Old December 27th 03, 01:35 AM
daytripper

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 23:34:36 GMT, "RL"
wrote:

I post here because there seems to be a higher quality user. I need advice
or recommendations on a good dual dvi video card. 2d/text quality and
symmetry is most important.

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/parhelia/256mb.cfm

I've been using a Parhelia 256 (AGP) for almost a year. I use it to drive
three RGB 21" monitors, but you can use it to drive a pair of DVI devices, or
a dual-DVI device. Very nice feature set, very *very* good display quality,
works great with XP Pro...

If that's a little rich, Matrox may still have the answer for you:

http://www.matrox.com/mga/products/m...eries/p750.cfm

cheers

/daytripper
Old December 27th 03, 03:12 AM
RL

The Parhelia (128mb unit $349) is under consideration as is the P750 ($212)
neither supports dx9. I see Nvidia based dual dvi cards for sub $200 that
do support dx9. Asus 5600 is one. I just wonder if the 2d quality of
Matrox product far exceeds the performance/value of the Nvidia product. I
have 2 19" Samsung 191t's running in portrait mode on one system using a
ti4200 by PNY. I have another system with 1 191t using an Ati Radeon 9000.
The Ati using the DVI output seems to look better than the same model
monitor on the DVI port of the Ti4200. The problem is there are visible
difference on all 3 191t monitors. Since I do not play games I tend to lean
toward the p750. It does have symmetrical dual dvi. I can say this for
sure digital beats analog hands down when you get into 19' territory with
LCD's.

Old December 27th 03, 03:36 AM
Carlo Razzeto

"RL" wrote in message
om...
[...]

My 2 cents. If I were you I would go with the P750, for the price you're not
going to find a better value for 2D applications. I very much prefer Matrox
graphics products for systems where 3D gaming is not a priority, the 2D
graphics quality is unbeatable. Kills the ATI Radeon 9000 I have in my
system.

Carlo

Old January 6th 04, 05:49 PM
RL

Cab I assume that all Dual DVI cards have dual TMDS transmitters. It is
important that the choice I make is dual and symmetrical.

"RL" wrote in message
. com...
There certainly seems to be a wide price range in dual DVI cards. Each
manufacturer seems to have a consumer line and a pro line. Nvida based
cards have Quadro. Ati based cards have FireGL.

It stands to reason that digital to digital should be the same on all

cards
but yet.......I wonder. That is why I'm looking for input. The real
players are Nvidia, ATI, 3D Labs and Martox. I do not care about video

out
or in. I do not care about ever needing analog. No one that I can find
makes a simple dual DVI. They all have RAMDACS which I understand to be

the
difference in quality. I don't need no stinking RAMDAC. Could someone
step-up to the bar and set me straight.

TIA

"Mike Smith" wrote in message
RL wrote:

I post here because there seems to be a higher quality user. I need

advice
or recommendations on a good dual dvi video card. 2d/text quality and
symmetry is most important.

I would think that, when using the DVI output, all cards look alike, or
so similar that the differences are undetectable. This would not
necessarily be the case with the analog output, though.

--
Mike Smith