"Limited or no connextivity" when no cable plugged - D-link DE-528CT card

Old March 12th 08, 04:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Louis[_2_]

Default "Limited or no connextivity" when no cable plugged - D-link DE-528CT card

Hello !

Like the subject says, a computer running XP with a D-Link DE-528CT lan
adapter report an "Limited or no connectivity" message when there's no
cable plugged into the adapter (instead of the "Cable disconnected"
icon with a red X).

I went in the properties to uncheck the "Notify me when this connection
has limited or no connectivity". Doing this results in a "Connected"
icon with a baloon showing "Connexion to local network - speed : 10Mbps
- status : CONNECTED" !!?!

Any idea ?

PS: Everything works fine when a cable is plugged into the adapter.

Old March 12th 08, 06:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:39:52 -0400, Louis
wrote:

Hello !

Like the subject says, a computer running XP with a D-Link DE-528CT lan
adapter report an "Limited or no connectivity" message when there's no
cable plugged into the adapter (instead of the "Cable disconnected"
icon with a red X).

I went in the properties to uncheck the "Notify me when this connection
has limited or no connectivity". Doing this results in a "Connected"
icon with a baloon showing "Connexion to local network - speed : 10Mbps
- status : CONNECTED" !!?!

Any idea ?

PS: Everything works fine when a cable is plugged into the adapter.

10Mb might be considered "limited"? What do the NIC's link
lights look like? What do you have it connected to,
something with at least 100Mb port? What do the port lights
on the connected device look like, if 100Mb capable is that
lit? If 100Mb capable try another port, and after any time
you unplug the cable at either end, power cycle the other
device (leaving off for a dozen seconds between on/off/on).
Old March 12th 08, 06:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Louis[_2_]

kony a pensé très fort :
wrote:

Hello !

Like the subject says, a computer running XP with a D-Link DE-528CT lan
adapter report an "Limited or no connectivity" message when there's no
cable plugged into the adapter (instead of the "Cable disconnected"
icon with a red X).

I went in the properties to uncheck the "Notify me when this connection
has limited or no connectivity". Doing this results in a "Connected"
icon with a baloon showing "Connexion to local network - speed : 10Mbps
- status : CONNECTED" !!?!

Any idea ?

PS: Everything works fine when a cable is plugged into the adapter.

10Mb might be considered "limited"? What do the NIC's link
lights look like? What do you have it connected to,
something with at least 100Mb port?

Please read my original post again :

I get the "Limited connectivity" while the NIC is *NOT connected to
anything* - instead of getting the message "A network cable is
disconnected" with the red X on the 2 PCs icon.

If I uncheck the "Notify me when this connection has limited or no
connectivity" in the connexion properties and there's still no cable
plugged, it says that its status is "CONNECTED" -- while it is
obviously not.

Everything's fine when the NIC is connected to a RJ45 cable.

FYI, the DE-528CT NIC *is* a 10Mbps card - enough for internet surfing
needs.

Old March 12th 08, 07:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

kony a pensé très fort :
wrote:

[...]

Oops, I completely misread that.

If I uncheck the "Notify me when this connection has limited or no
connectivity" in the connexion properties and there's still no cable
plugged, it says that its status is "CONNECTED" -- while it is
obviously not.

Have you tried unchecking the setting for showing active
connections? Is it a problem or just a curiosity?

Everything's fine when the NIC is connected to a RJ45 cable.

FYI, the DE-528CT NIC *is* a 10Mbps card - enough for internet surfing
needs.

Perhaps, depends on who your ISP is, what service plan you
have. A 10Mb link does degrade a (roughly) 8Mb+ ISP service
though mostly with large downloads from good services, it
wouldn't be too noticable on typical website browsing.
Old March 13th 08, 01:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Louis[_2_]

Il se trouve que kony a formulé :
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:52:19 -0400, Louis

kony a pensé très fort :
wrote:

[...]

It's not just a curiosity.. It's that it is not behaving as it
should..

Unchecking the "show active connexions" settings makes all messages
vanish.. but to me, it's as useful as a battery-less smoke detector is :
it won't tell you that somethin is really wrong..

Old March 13th 08, 01:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
DevilsPGD[_2_]

In message Louis
wrote:

I get the "Limited connectivity" while the NIC is *NOT connected to
anything* - instead of getting the message "A network cable is
disconnected" with the red X on the 2 PCs icon.

If I uncheck the "Notify me when this connection has limited or no
connectivity" in the connexion properties and there's still no cable
plugged, it says that its status is "CONNECTED" -- while it is
obviously not.

Everything's fine when the NIC is connected to a RJ45 cable.

FYI, the DE-528CT NIC *is* a 10Mbps card - enough for internet surfing
needs.

It sounds like the card (or driver) isn't able to report a "not
connected" status at all.

The "Limited connectivity" message means that the card reports a
connection, but you're missing a DHCP server, DNS server, default
gateway, or Windows otherwise believes there isn't an internet
connection present.

When you turn off the "Notify me" option described, it removes this
state entirely, and falls back on the fact that the driver is reporting
there is a connection.

I'd suggest checking to see if there is a later driver, and if not, swap
the card.