SATA Mobile Rack -- with USB??

Old October 12th 06, 05:18 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Default SATA Mobile Rack -- with USB??

Hi, I hope I've chosen the right group for this question. Please
redirect me if you know of a better match. (I'm using Google Groups.)

I'm looking to install a HDD mobile rack (removable drive tray) in my
machine for backup purposes. I currently have an SATA drive, so I'd
need an SATA connection on both the inner tray and the outer frame. No
problem, right? They can easily be found all over the Internet.

Here's the catch. I also want to be able to use the drive on a machine
that doesn't have an external SATA port -- say, about 99% of the
machines out there. lol

So what I'm looking for is an inner tray with both SATA *and* USB 2.0
connections. (USB 1.1 would also be acceptable.) The outer frame
would still only need the SATA connection since it wouldn't be "aware"
of the hidden USB port on the inner tray.

Does anyone know of a product that does this?? For the life of me, I
can't find anything like it anywhere!

Please note that I am not looking for an external drive enclosure. I
know they exist, too. I have a pretty good one right now, actually.
(Addonics AE5SACSUF -- internal SATA, external USB 2.0 and FireWire.)
I'm really looking to consolidate some desk space and streamline my
backups with identical drives, etc. External enclosures are just too
clunky for these tasks.

Thanks in advance.

Old October 12th 06, 07:16 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Ed Light

If I understand what you're doing, you would hook up your tray to a sata
port on the motherboard.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will add more.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Bring the Troops Home:
http://bringthemhomenow.org

Old October 12th 06, 11:37 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Arno Wagner

Previously wrote:
[...]

Since USB is not intended as internal connection, I am not surprised.
I don;t think there is enough market share to sell this type of device.

Please note that I am not looking for an external drive enclosure. I
know they exist, too. I have a pretty good one right now, actually.
(Addonics AE5SACSUF -- internal SATA, external USB 2.0 and FireWire.)
I'm really looking to consolidate some desk space and streamline my
backups with identical drives, etc. External enclosures are just too
clunky for these tasks.

Then you are out of luck, I think. There are external enclosures
with eSATA and USB, thoygh. So it is not a technical issue.

Arno

Old October 12th 06, 01:30 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Folkert Rienstra

There are packaged cable convertors on the market including a power
supply that directly attach to the bare drive.
http://www.qualitycables.com/product...%2C141 %2C142
If you use direct attach (no connector conversion, just the drive's sata
connector connecting to the outer tray) inner SATA trays they should fit.

Old October 16th 06, 06:47 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Thanks for your input, everyone.

After more research, I was able to find a solution. Ironically, it's
another product by Addonics.

http://www.addonics.com/products/Saturn/aesdcs.asp

Though not *exactly* what I was looking for, it will serve the purpose.
(The only downfall is no true pass-through on the devices.)

Hopefully, this thread will help someone in the future.