Rack mounted server for SATA

Old January 27th 06, 10:47 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Default Rack mounted server for SATA

Anyone know of a manufacturer of a dual Pentium rack mounted server that can
take 4 x SATA hard disks plus a boot drive (an IDE or another SATA)? We've
got a dual AMD Athlon MP system with lots of disk space as a secondary
storage server and we're not happy with the stability of the system -
probably that dual AMD bit :-) It's free standing as well at the moment. So
we're looking to buy another server for the rack without any hard disks into
which we can transfer the existing SATA disks.

Ohh, would be useful if it could take a PCI SCSI card which we have in there
as well.

Thanks, Rob.

Old February 1st 06, 03:16 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

These come a dime a dozen these days lol. If money is no object and
stability is premium, check out the dual (dualcore?) Xeon offerings by
Dell, Gateway, HP and IBM.

Old February 4th 06, 01:37 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

These come a dime a dozen these days lol. If money is no object and
stability is premium, check out the dual (dualcore?) Xeon offerings by
Dell, Gateway, HP and IBM.

We use Dell kit already but couldn't find anything on their site that had 5
bays.

Cheers, Rob.

Old February 4th 06, 03:16 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Ohh, would be useful if it could take a PCI SCSI card which we have in
there
as well.

We're going to go for an Antec rackmount case and move the existing
motherboard and drives into it.

Cheers, Rob.

Old February 4th 06, 11:22 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

If system stability is the issue you really should at least get a new
MoBo/CPU/Memory combination.

Old February 6th 06, 10:06 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

If system stability is the issue you really should at least get a new
MoBo/CPU/Memory combination.

Actually - we're tempted to do this as part of the problem with the existing
server could be motherboard related.

Rob.

Old February 7th 06, 04:53 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Could be? Unless it's a heat related issue and the new chassis is much
better cooled than the existing one, then you're chasing your tail.
Generally speaking, moving from a tower to a rackmount case, you're not
likely to get better cooling - usually it's the opposite.

Old February 8th 06, 09:02 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Could be? Unless it's a heat related issue and the new chassis is much
better cooled than the existing one, then you're chasing your tail.
Generally speaking, moving from a tower to a rackmount case, you're not
likely to get better cooling - usually it's the opposite.

No, it's more of a feeling that the Dual Athlon MP motherboard setup really
never took off and therefore I don't think this particular environment was
subjected to the same level of support as other dual CPU systems. The Athlon
MPs do run incredibly hot.

It's generally just a flaky system :-) They happen.

Cheers, Rob.

Old February 17th 06, 02:06 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

melted the ATX connector. And don't get me started about the video
bugs.

There is a real weird quirk with the BIOS of our Tyan board. It responds
incredibly slowly to key presses. We've got a password on there and when you
go into the BIOS and enter the password you have to go press 1st key, wait a
second, press 2nd key, wait a second etc. Otherwise instead of typing
DIETCOKE (not our password btw) you get DTK

At the time they were cheap, stable, & powerful - or rather ppl either
had great builds or great headaches.

We're in the headache brigaide :-)

Cheers, Rob.

A Review: Build Your Own Server ,Tony Caputo Paul Dell Computers 0 September 8th 04 12:06 AM
A Review: Build Your Own Server ,Tony Caputo Paul Gateway Computers 0 September 8th 04 12:06 AM
Rack Server Frame Steve Homebuilt PC's 4 June 24th 04 10:04 PM
Continued: Putting together a Lower-Mid End Server Arifi Koseoglu Asus Motherboards 2 February 20th 04 01:34 PM
Server as an iSCSI target idunno Storage & Hardrives 4 October 28th 03 04:14 AM