SE6 can't finish w98se install

Old February 7th 04, 04:58 AM
adjev

Default SE6 can't finish w98se install

hi,

i want to make a pc for my daughter.
got myself a SE6 and a matrox g-400marvel

when i install w98se the system restarts everytime it's at the point of
updating the drivers (searches for p&p moonitors and
................restarts)

anyone got an idea what could be wrong?

Old February 7th 04, 05:23 AM
ICee

adjev wrote:
hi,

i want to make a pc for my daughter.
got myself a SE6 and a matrox g-400marvel

when i install w98se the system restarts everytime it's at the point
of updating the drivers (searches for p&p moonitors and
...............restarts)

anyone got an idea what could be wrong?

Sounds like a power problem. Perhaps bad electrolytic capacitors.
Check the caps near the CPU socket to see if any are bulged, and/or have
discoloration on the tops and/or bottoms. This picture will help you
know what to look for:
http://www.motherboardrepair.com/ima...bad_caps_1.jpg

Old February 7th 04, 01:11 PM
adjev

Thanks ICee.

I inspected the caps, and it they look very suspicious.
I had the board delivered with a PIII-933 and it wouldn't boot. Put in a
cely 900 and it booted, but I got the reboot problem instead. Furthermore
the MB sometimes doesn't recognise the CD-ROM player and sets the clock to
99Mhz instead of 100.

My guess is that these problems all come from the bad caps. I will replace
the bad caps. Is there a specific brand/type I should use?

Adrian

Old February 7th 04, 01:31 PM
ICee

adjev wrote:
Thanks ICee.

I inspected the caps, and it they look very suspicious.
I had the board delivered with a PIII-933 and it wouldn't boot. Put
in a cely 900 and it booted, but I got the reboot problem instead.
Furthermore the MB sometimes doesn't recognise the CD-ROM player and
sets the clock to 99Mhz instead of 100.

My guess is that these problems all come from the bad caps. I will
replace the bad caps. Is there a specific brand/type I should use?

Adrian

Yes, there is a specific brand/type that is used, although I'm not sure
what it is.
The web site I pointed you to for the picture is run by a guy who
frequents these NG's. He repairs MB's with bad caps, with an average
turn around time of 1 to 2 days.
He also has premade capacitor kits for various MB's, if you would like
to 'DIY'. Here's the kit:
http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=capkit
and, if you want him to do the work, just check at the home page:
http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=home

I have not used his service, but I have seen posts from many satisfied
customers in the Abit and overclocking NG's.
Good luck.

Old February 10th 04, 11:32 PM
adjev

I slaughtered an asus cubx-board I had. Put the caps from the cubx on the
SE6 and............It works!!

Old February 11th 04, 02:10 AM
ICee

adjev wrote:
I slaughtered an asus cubx-board I had. Put the caps from the cubx on
the SE6 and............It works!!

Or, you could scavenge caps from an old MB and replace the bad caps
yourself.

That's great news! The SE6 lives again!
Thanks for the update.

--