SOLUTION! IBM Hard Drive only recognized as 33GB hard drive, but is more >>>82.3GB

Old November 13th 03, 11:22 PM
Andy

Default SOLUTION! IBM Hard Drive only recognized as 33GB hard drive, but is more >>>82.3GB

KEYWORDS: IBM Hard Drive 33GB 32.83GB 82.3GB FDisk Windows XP NTFS
FAT32 work full capacity maximum limitation jumpers

Hi everyone,

I read a bunch of these newsgroups for the last couple days and have
spent several hours trying to fix my problem with no luck. Finally
after rereading some of the posts and rethinking the problem I have
finally fixed my problem. So, Dust off that old hard drive and make
it work! I did!

Here was my problem:

I got a new computer that has an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe with an Intel
P4-3.0Ghz HT chip and 1 GB of DDRAM. It came with a new 115GB hard
drive and I wanted to put my old hard drive on there as a secondary
hard drive. The system is running on Windows XP Professional. When I
first put it on I discovered that the BIOS and XP could only see a
33.82GB hard drive. I was confused. I pulled out the secondary hard
drive and looked at it. It said:

IBM Deskstar ( I believe it's a 120GXP)
Mar-2002
Model: IC35L080AVVA07-0 ATA/IDE
Capacity: 82.3GB RPM: 7200RPM
P/N: 07N9210 MLC: H32657
LBA: 160,836,480 Sectors CHS: 16383/16/63

Serial: 07N9210H326570S23
P/N: 07N9210
S/N: A4C8GTLA

Somehow, somewhere, I must have done something wrong and messed up the
MBR. I came to this conclusion from the generous advice of the
newsgroup postings and from looking at what was happening. XP was
reporting a 33.82GB hard drive, BIOS was reporting a 33.82GB hard
drive and even Partition Magic 8.0 was reporting a 33.82GB hard drive.
Nothing I did could change it. I tried moving jumpers, changing IDE
ports, deleting partitions, erasing files, reformatting, fdisk,
Partition Magic 8.0, forcing BIOS to recognize...nothing.

(By the way, Partition Magic 8.0 is still a nifty program to buy if
you want to maximize or rearrange partition space...if you have a disk
with data on it. Otherwise if you are working with a blank disk you
should be able to do it with FDISK or your operating system.)

So anyway...the solution...[drum roll]...

IBM's very own downloadable utility program "IBM Feature Tool" or
the file that you will download will be called "IBMFTool-Install.exe"
This file can be found on IBM's website. I have provided a link
below. My disclaimers come now: You must be very careful with this
and other utility tools. You take your own chances by performing this
operation. I am not responsible for the actions you take with your
judgement in using this utility. Please read the instructions and
consult with IBM if you have any ANY questions or reservations. The
full name is IBM Feature Tool, Version 1.50, Build 12 for DOS.

Here's how I did it:

o Downloaded the file
o Placed a 3.5" floppy disk in my disk drive
o Ran the "ibmftool-install.exe" which created a bootable disk
o Restarted the computer
o Select the drive in question (Be Careful! Do not select your
system drive!)
o Chose the "Features Tab"
o Selected "Change Capacity"
o Now look and see what the program tells you. [I was amazed! The
manuafacturing values matched what I thought and what was listed on
the hard drive's label. However, the Current values listed the values
for a 33.82GB hard drive!!! Unbelievable. Somehow I had made the hard
drive think it was a 33.82GB and therefore everything else (BIOS, XP,
Partition Magic 8.0) also thought so.]
o You now are presented with a choice of
Enter New Capacity
(*) Save Permanently
( ) Do Not Save

New Capacity (GByte):[ ]

[OK] [Cancel} [Options]

o You can either put in the new capacity or choose Options. I chose
options because I didn't want to screw it up and put in too much
(didn't work) or too little (which means you would have to clean it up
later).
o A box pops up and you have a choice of choosing the following:

1) Maximum Capacity
2) 32 GB
3) 8 GB
4) Cancel
o I chose Maximum Capacity
o You than will be redirected to the first screen to choose "Save
Permanently" and press OK.

After 20-30 minutes...VOILA! That's it! Now I got my fully restored
full-size hard disk as advertised. After this, I just restarted with
Windows XP and used XP to partition the hard disk and format it.
[Right Click on My Computer, Pick Manage, Storage, Logical Drives, and
Right Click to get the option to Create Partition. Note: You cannot
create a new partition on the system drive]

Anyways, here's my 2 cent contribution to the newsgroups. Thank you
all and hope others can benefit from this.

Here is the link to the file:

http://service.boulder.ibm.com/stora...ol-install.exe

I didn't use this one, but you may [Some say it works too]:

http://www.samsung.com/servlet/Downl... xe&country=HQ

(Be careful because this one is very Dos-Techie like and requires
putting in commands at the prompt level. No interface! Also, Samsung
likes moving their files around on the website so you may have to
search for it if the link does not work. It's there when I tried
downloading it.)

andy
Old November 14th 03, 12:03 AM
Folkert Rienstra

Very old news that you spend a 6 KB post on.

"Andy" wrote in message m...
[...]

Nope, not the MBR. The drive got shortstroked (capacity limited).
Drive overlay(install)s do that to get a drive through BIOS POST and
then dynamically reset the drive to full capacity when the drive overlay
runs at boot. Don't run the drive overlay and the drive stays limited.

I came to this conclusion from the generous advice of the
newsgroup postings and from looking at what was happening.

Nope, you can't have.

XP was reporting a 33.82GB hard drive, BIOS was reporting a 33.82GB
harddrive and even Partition Magic 8.0 was reporting a 33.82GB harddrive.

Nothing I did could change it.

Just booting it would have.

I tried moving jumpers, changing IDE
ports, deleting partitions, erasing files, reformatting, fdisk,
Partition Magic 8.0, forcing BIOS to recognize...nothing.

(By the way, Partition Magic 8.0 is still a nifty program to buy if
you want to maximize or rearrange partition space...if you have a disk
with data on it. Otherwise if you are working with a blank disk you
should be able to do it with FDISK or your operating system.)

So anyway...the solution...[drum roll]...

Yeah, yeah, cut the crap already. You only nicked it from someone else.

IBM's very own downloadable utility program "IBM Feature Tool"
or the file that you will download will be called "IBMFTool-Install.exe"
This file can be found on IBM's website. I have provided a link below.

My disclaimers come now: You must be very careful with this and other
utility tools. You take your own chances by performing this operation.

Nothing bad will happen.

I am not responsible for the actions you take with your judgement
in using this utility. Please read the instructions and consult with
IBM if you have any ANY questions or reservations.
The full name is IBM Feature Tool, Version 1.50, Build 12 for DOS.

Here's how I did it:

o Downloaded the file
o Placed a 3.5" floppy disk in my disk drive
o Ran the "ibmftool-install.exe" which created a bootable disk
o Restarted the computer
o Select the drive in question (Be Careful! Do not select your
system drive!)
o Chose the "Features Tab"
o Selected "Change Capacity"
o Now look and see what the program tells you. [I was amazed! The
manuafacturing values matched what I thought and what was listed on
the hard drive's label.

And so they should.

However, the Current values listed the values for a 33.82GB hard drive!!!
Unbelievable. Somehow I had made the hard drive think it was a 33.82GB

Nope, the drive overlay program did.

Old November 14th 03, 01:41 PM
Matt

"Folkert Rienstra" wrote in message
Very old news that you spend a 6 KB post on.

And you spent 7.

Old November 16th 03, 07:24 PM
ullim

Many many thanks!! I was trying to work out this problem since a month! Now
i've solved it in 5 minutes thanks to you!
I got an 2,5'' hd on ebay which came out of an IBM Notebook. It was a
40.01GB but there were only 35 available, simply there were only less
cylinders shown than it really had. They locked it to save preinstalled
ibm-software backup. I made many calls to customer services and the only
expensive solution they gave me was to install the hd on a notebook and
change the setting from bios. So, this utility did it in 5 min! Now i have a
full 40 gb hd size!
Notice that it was a HD by toshiba, so this utility works on non-ibm
products too !!
Thank you, despite of somone who claims that this is an old question i could
not find any infos on this ng and nobody helped me. You did!

"Andy" ha scritto nel messaggio
m...
[...]

http://www.samsung.com/servlet/Downl...s/HardDiskDriv
e/support/faqs/files/200001201902524710clearhdd.exe&realname=clearhdd.e xe&co

Old November 16th 03, 11:07 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"ullim" wrote in message
Many many thanks!! I was trying to work out this problem since a month!
Now i've solved it in 5 minutes thanks to you!
I got an 2,5'' hd on ebay which came out of an IBM Notebook. It was a
40.01GB but there were only 35 available, simply there were only less
cylinders shown than it really had. They locked it to save preinstalled
ibm-software backup. I made many calls to customer services and the only
expensive solution they gave me was to install the hd on a notebook and
change the setting from bios.

So you already had the solution but chose to ignore it.

So, this utility did it in 5 min! Now i have a full 40 gb hd size!
Notice that it was a HD by toshiba, so this utility works on non-ibm
products too !!

Ofcourse it does. A utility that doesn't work on drives that IBM
itself use in their products? What were you thinking? Uhm, oops ....

Thank you, despite of somone who claims that this is an old question i could
not find any infos on this ng

Well, just look better.

and nobody helped me.

I might have if you had behaved.
But when someone has one question and then posts that question under
different subjects, he doesn't respect the people in that group and I
choose to ignore it.
Since the solution was presented here several times, others should
have been able to tell you the solution as well, so i'll guess that they
felt the same way as I did.

You did!

No he didn't (either). Like you said, nobody did.
You just found it yourself.

"Andy" ha scritto nel messaggio m...
KEYWORDS: IBM Hard Drive 33GB 32.83GB 82.3GB FDisk Windows XP NTFS
FAT32 work full capacity maximum limitation jumpers

[snip]
Old November 17th 03, 12:23 AM
ullim

So you already had the solution but chose to ignore it.

So if you would pay 85 euro for a technician doing 2 min of work for a hd
that costs 150 you have a serious problem in evaluating situations.

Ofcourse it does. A utility that doesn't work on drives that IBM
itself use in their products? What were you thinking? Uhm, oops ....

Every ibm utility that i've tried to use on a non-ibm notebook didnt work!
Probably you haven't tried enough by yourself to know what we are talking
about. Oops...

Well, just look better.

And i look and i look and i look.... maybe i should look all the posts of
the last 5 jears. So you poor guy didn't have to make the hard job to post a
link simply to help someone.

I might have if you had behaved.

Are you th NG daddy or what?

But when someone has one question and then posts that question under
different subjects, he doesn't respect the people in that group and I
choose to ignore it

In clinical terms this is called paranoia.

You did!

Well, you did not, and this tells all there's to know! It's simply you! What
are you doing here, only playing the little troll??

Old November 17th 03, 03:26 PM
chrisv

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:24:22 GMT, "ullim" wrote:

Many many thanks!! I was trying to work out this problem since a month!

What problem, top poster?

Old November 17th 03, 04:47 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"ullim" wrote in message ...

So you already had the solution but chose to ignore it.

So if you would pay 85 euro for a technician doing 2 min of work for a hd
that costs 150 you have a serious problem in evaluating situations.

Ofcourse it does. A utility that doesn't work on drives that IBM
itself use in their products? What were you thinking? Uhm, oops ....

Every ibm utility that i've tried to use on a non-ibm notebook didnt work!

Gee, what did I just tell you?

Probably you haven't tried enough by yourself to know what we are talking
about. Oops...

That just goes to show that you don't have a single clue of who I am.

Well, just look better.

And i look and i look and i look.... maybe i should look all the posts of
the last 5 jears.

If that is what it takes for you to find out that Google is your friend,
by all means.

So you poor guy didn't have to make the hard job to post a link simply
to help someone.

It wasn't just me.

I might have if you had behaved.

Are you th NG daddy or what?

No, I'm the one that has your solution if I choose to give it to you.
Like Rodney uses to say, 'you can like it or lump it'.

But when someone has one question and then posts that question under
different subjects, he doesn't respect the people in that group and I
choose to ignore it

In clinical terms this is called paranoia.

Hey, you want your answers or you don't. It's your choice.

You did!

Well, you did not, and this tells all there's to know! It's simply you!

Nope.
And your little tirade just shows how my initial hunch was once again 'spot on'.

What are you doing here, only playing the little troll??

Nah, I leave that to Chris.

Old November 17th 03, 08:32 PM
ullim

That just goes to show that you don't have a single clue of who I am.

Well, you present yourself quite well.
So what do you want from me? You are yust a stitic information-holder that
feels pleasure in playing "I know it but i don't tell you, peperepepe!!!"
What's your age?
You didn't tell me when i needed help, so why do you now?
Hey man, your wife is waiting! Go!
)))

Old November 17th 03, 11:20 PM
Andy

Hi Ullim,

Your welcome. Your reply allows others to continue sharing
information because they can feel appreciated.

The other guys responding were definitely not the ones I found advice
from.

Probably just trollers. Ignore them. They themselves are wasting
other's time.

andy